What's in store for dual-layer dvd burners?

Old June 30th 04, 05:14 PM
news.individual.net

Default What's in store for dual-layer dvd burners?

I want to get Nec ND-2510 Dual Layer DVD-/+RW Drive for $129.99 CDN but
the only thing stopping me is the dual layer speed and media is not as
cheap as it could be. It will take ~45 minutes to burn a 8.5 GB cd.
That's kind of long, I wonder if they will have faster ones in the near
future? And will there be dual-layer RW media? If not then I guess I'll
buy this one although I haven't seen any dual layer media at my local pc
stores as well as 8X DVD+-R
Old June 30th 04, 07:43 PM

ElJerid wrote:

"news.individual.net" wrote in message
newspsae0p90rgsdrzm@raidbox...

I want to get Nec ND-2510 Dual Layer DVD-/+RW Drive for $129.99 CDN but
the only thing stopping me is the dual layer speed and media is not as
cheap as it could be. It will take ~45 minutes to burn a 8.5 GB cd.
That's kind of long, I wonder if they will have faster ones in the near
future? And will there be dual-layer RW media? If not then I guess I'll
buy this one although I haven't seen any dual layer media at my local pc
stores as well as 8X DVD+-R

Never buy a brand new product. Logically you must expect the prices to drop
dramatically within 6 months and the performance to climb at the same speed.
Just look back to the first DVD+/-R(W) burners and how things evolved. Or
look to a brand new cpu and it's price 4 to 6 months later. Or look to
TFT's...
There is an optimal time to purchase, that's when:
- there is enough competition
- the product is no longer exceptional and reserved for an elite
- the product is debugged and versions 2 or 3 are released
- prices have passed the "new product" peak and stabilize downwards

Its $129.99 CDN so that's not the problem. Its the 2.4X speed that's
the problem. I've been searching the net but haven't found anything
except that they need to burn slowly in order to penetrate the first
layer or soemthing like that.
Old July 1st 04, 12:18 AM
Gameface

I've already bought one of these... bargain at £65

Works great too.. recommend it to anyone wanting a dvd burner - no dual
layer media yet, expect another month or two

Old July 1st 04, 01:57 AM
Jerry G.

All the dual burners are going to be slow. When you have to do the job, take
a break.

These are very new, so don't expect too much at first. For the price it is
not a big deal to try it. You can put 2 DVD burners in the same machine. If
you have the space, you can put a dual burner, and the other one to be a
standard burner. This will give you a choice of drive, and is great for
copying disks.

--

Jerry G. GLG Technologies GLG
==========================

Old July 1st 04, 08:37 AM
ElJerid

wrote in message
ElJerid wrote:

[...]

That's what I mean about new products. And whatever the technology challenge
today, you might be conviced that within a certain time, maybe 6 or 12
months, manufacturers will be able to build dual layer burners with 8x
speed. Problem is that those companies need cash now to pay the research and
development, and this cash comes merely from people wanting the "last"
product, whatever the price.

Old July 1st 04, 08:04 PM
Cyde Weys

"ElJerid" wrote in message ...
[...]

I got the same thing on NewEgg for USD 85. I don't really think your
complaints are valid. I was looking to upgrade my old, 2.4X
single-format DVD burner to a higher-speed, dual-format burner. For
USD 80 I could've gotten the NEC-2500 which does 8X DVD+-RW. But for
only USD 5, I added dual layer support. How is that not worth it?
Old July 2nd 04, 04:01 AM
Larc

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 01:36:30 GMT, Cyde Weys
wrote:

| I was in the market for my first DVD burner and decided on the Lite-On
| 812S ($73.70 from Newegg including shipping). Since its insides are
| exactly the same as the new Lite-On DL burner (832S), a simple flash
| with the latest 832S firmware converted the 812S to an 832S.
| Everything works perfectly! :-)
|
| Once DL burners are advanced enough to support higher speeds and the
| cost of DL media comes down sufficiently, I'll be ready to shift this
| DVD burner to my second system and buy a new burner.
|
| What is the difference between those two models? Burning speed
| artificially limited by firmware or something?

There is no difference except the 832S's added ability to burn DL
media at 2.4. That's evidently "turned on" by the firmware. Both
burn DVD+Rs and DVD-Rs at 8x, DVD+RWs and DVD-RWs at 4x, CD-Rs at 40x
and CD-RWs at 24x. Chips are exactly the same in both units. The
832S retail package is $97.99 plus $4 shipping at Newegg, but
inclusion of DL media and Nero accounts for some of the difference
(the 812S retail is currently $76.99 including shipping).

BTW, it's also reportedly possible to upgrade the NEC ND-2500A to DL
capability by flashing with ND-2510A firmware, although NEC has issued
a warning against this.

http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?...asc&&st art=0

Larc