Looking for some medium-to-extreme overclocking advice

Old July 1st 04, 07:42 PM
Cyde Weys

Default Looking for some medium-to-extreme overclocking advice

Hey guys, I'm upgrading my system and I was thinking I'd go the
overclocking route this time. As such, I'm looking for
moderately-priced components that have a good capacity to get faster
as well as good cooling solutions. Here's what I'm looking at so far
(with NewEgg links):

500W power supply (for all the fans and such)
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...148-005&depa=0

Sapphire Radeon 9800Pro (I hear it has great overclocking potential)
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...102-281&depa=0

Rear-exhaust fan for GPU
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...186-110&depa=0

Copper videocard RAM heatsinks (copper is more heat conductive than
aluminum or steel)
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...126-051&depa=0

Thermaltake CPU heatsink/fan (also includes a cool panel that plugs
into a 5.25" bay and lets you control fanspeed)
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...106-038&depa=0

Here are some additional questions:

I'm going to be using an Athlon 64 (not the really expensive ones).
Of the various 3000+, 3200+, etc. Athlon 64s, which have the best
capacity for overclocking?

What's a good Socket 754 motherboard that has beaucoup d'options in
the BIOS for overclocking system components?

What kind of RAM should I get - I was thinking PC3200 DDR-RAM, is that
going to be fast enough?

What manufacturer of RAM should I go with? (I was thinking Crucial).

Since I seem to have heatsinks on everything else, should I go for
something to put on my system memory? If so, what?

What case do you recommend? I'm looking for something with very good
fan options. Also, it should look cool, and preferably have some sort
of temperature read-out on the front.

Any comments/suggestions are welcome. I wanna really plan out this
computer before I spend my precious money constructing it. If you
think of something I may be missing, don't be shy!

Thanks a lot,
Cyde Weys

P.S. For those who are interested, the system will also have 2x SATA
160GB hard drives in RAID 0, two IDE hard drives, a NEC DVD+-RW 8x DVD
burner, DVD-ROM drive, Audigy 2 Platinum sound card (with the control
panel that plugs into a 5.25" bay), and a WinFast TV tuner card.
Old July 1st 04, 09:37 PM
Alex B

Don't bother with the winfast card - get a Hauppauge one. The winfasts are
ok, it's jsut the software can be a pain in the arse when it wants to be.

..

Old July 2nd 04, 02:35 AM
Cyde Weys

Alex B wrote:
Don't bother with the winfast card - get a Hauppauge one. The winfasts are
ok, it's jsut the software can be a pain in the arse when it wants to be.

I already have the WinFast card :-D
Old July 2nd 04, 02:54 AM
Chris Stolworthy

"Cyde Weys" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I would recommend that you make sure your ram has heat spreaders on them at
the very least. Rather than get a case that has a temperature readout, I
would recommend in investing in a good fan controller. Something that
monitors system temps and regulates fan speeds. Never heard of that brand
PSU before, but the fact that it is a 500w at 54$ makes me wary. I
personally would go with an antec, a good high quality PSU is a must. But
then again maybe this is? Someone else may be able to clarify it.

Old July 2nd 04, 04:03 AM
kony

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 21:37:48 +0100, "Alex B"
wrote:

Don't bother with the winfast card - get a Hauppauge one. The winfasts are
ok, it's jsut the software can be a pain in the arse when it wants to be.

Depends on the system configuration. I have a couple of the
Winfast cards and have no problems except the FM app not working
in Win98 (error when hovering over the record/play button), so, I
don't have them in boxes running Win98.

Overclocking Question Bogdan General 5 January 12th 04 03:38 PM
The Truth about Dividers and Multipliers and why My fourth graderknows more about OverClocking than me... Aaron Dinkin General 2 December 30th 03 09:16 PM
First overclocking attempts - General 7 December 14th 03 06:30 PM