"Backblaze Hard Drive Stats Q1 2020"

Old May 12th 20, 11:27 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Lynn McGuire[_3_]

Default "Backblaze Hard Drive Stats Q1 2020"

"Backblaze Hard Drive Stats Q1 2020"
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/backb...stats-q1-2020/

"At the end of Q1 2020, Backblaze was using 129,959 hard drives to store
customer data. For our evaluation we remove from consideration those
drives that were used for testing purposes and those drive models for
which we did not have at least 60 drives (see why below). This leaves us
with 129,764 hard drives. The table below covers what happened in Q1 2020."

"The Annualized Failure Rate (AFR) for Q1 2020 was 1.07%. That is the
lowest AFR for any quarter since we started keeping track in 2013. In
addition, the Q1 2020 AFR is significantly lower than the Q1 2019 AFR
which was 1.56%."

Amazing. Those drives are running in a high temperature and high
vibration environment.

Lynn

Old May 13th 20, 07:19 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Percival P. Cassidy

Â*Â* https://www.backblaze.com/blog/backb...stats-q1-2020/

"At the end of Q1 2020, Backblaze was using 129,959 hard drives to store
customer data. For our evaluation we remove from consideration those
drives that were used for testing purposes and those drive models for
which we did not have at least 60 drives (see why below). This leaves us
with 129,764 hard drives. The table below covers what happened in Q1 2020."

"The Annualized Failure Rate (AFR) for Q1 2020 was 1.07%. That is the
lowest AFR for any quarter since we started keeping track in 2013. In
addition, the Q1 2020 AFR is significantly lower than the Q1 2019 AFR
which was 1.56%."

Amazing.Â* Those drives are running in a high temperature and high
vibration environment.

And not a single WD-branded drive in use -- I know that HGST is now part
of the WD "stable," but they are not the same.

Perce
Old May 13th 20, 07:54 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Lynn McGuire[_3_]

Â*Â*Â* https://www.backblaze.com/blog/backb...stats-q1-2020/

[...]

Pricing, pricing, pricing. WD is the premier brand now and they charge
for it.

Lynn

Old May 13th 20, 09:48 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Neill Massello[_3_]

Lynn McGuire wrote:

[...]

I noticed that more than half of their drives are now 12TB or larger,
although they still have more 4TB drives than 8TB drives. I suspect that
the effective rent on a slot in one of their pods now dictates that they
buy very large drives, even if the cost per GB is a little higher. It
also looks like they are keen to test before going to the MAMR
technology that WD has gone to in their new drives.

--
Eradicate SARS-CoV-2