12 TB external drive

Old November 5th 15, 05:40 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Lynn McGuire[_2_]

Default 12 TB external drive

12 TB external drive for $613:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LEF28CI/

Unreal. I like the flip top lid.

Lynn

Old November 5th 15, 08:14 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Mark Perkins

On Thu, 5 Nov 2015 11:40:45 -0600, Lynn McGuire wrote:

12 TB external drive for $613:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LEF28CI/

Unreal. I like the flip top lid.

It's a nice enclosure with a couple of 6TB's inside, but I was somehow
expecting a single 12TB drive.

Old November 5th 15, 08:33 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Percival P. Cassidy

On 11/05/2015 03:14 PM, Mark Perkins wrote:

12 TB external drive for $613:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LEF28CI/

Unreal. I like the flip top lid.

It's a nice enclosure with a couple of 6TB's inside, but I was somehow
expecting a single 12TB drive.

I read recently that Seagate was suggesting that there will be 20TB
drives by 2020 (I think that was the year), but AFAIK 8TB is the max in
a single drive now -- and that's intended as an Archive device: write
rarely (and slowly), read more often (and faster).

The WD device to which the link points looks like a 2-drive docking
station with a wrap-around enclosure.

Perce

Old November 5th 15, 08:37 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Mark F[_2_]

wrote:

12 TB external drive for $613:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LEF28CI/

2 drives, not 1:
Style: Dual Drive
And, under "Show more"
Dual-drive enclosure with up to 12 TB capacity
256-bit AES hardware encrypted RAID
Multiple data management options: RAID 0,1; JBOD
Shipped pre-formatted for Windows in RAID 0 mode

Unreal. I like the flip top lid.

Which shows 2 drives, one partially removed.

I like:
https://www.sandisk.com/home/usb-flash/ultra-fit-usb
128GB for $37.32. (About $3600 for 12TB, so 6 times
as much as the spinning thing from Western Electric.)

I have some of the 32GB SanDisk Ultra fit that I
keep loosing on my desk.

Lynn

Old November 5th 15, 09:52 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
VanguardLH[_2_]

Lynn McGuire wrote:

12 TB external drive for $613:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LEF28CI/

Unreal. I like the flip top lid.

"Dual-drive performance with up fast data transfers"

Doesn't sound like a 12 TB HDD to me. Looks more like two 6 TB HDDs ran
in RAID-0 mode to make use of striping to improve performance. Even
says RAID in the product title.
Old November 6th 15, 12:52 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Lynn McGuire[_2_]

On 11/5/2015 3:52 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
Lynn McGuire wrote:

12 TB external drive for $613:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LEF28CI/

Unreal. I like the flip top lid.

"Dual-drive performance with up fast data transfers"

Doesn't sound like a 12 TB HDD to me. Looks more like two 6 TB HDDs ran
in RAID-0 mode to make use of striping to improve performance. Even
says RAID in the product title.

Yes, it is a dual drive box raided to appear as a single drive. Still, amazing amount of storage.

Lynn

Old November 6th 15, 07:40 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
VanguardLH[_2_]

Lynn McGuire wrote:

VanguardLH wrote:

Lynn McGuire wrote:

12 TB external drive for $613:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LEF28CI/

... two 6 TB HDDs ran in RAID-0 mode to make use of striping ...

Yes, it is a dual drive box raided to appear as a single drive.
Still, amazing amount of storage.

And if there is additional space inside the enclosure, more HDDs could
be added to make it even more amazing. Depends on the PCB, controller,
and design implemented as to whether or not you could use more than two
drives with that product.

Have fun building a RAID box that goes up to 64 TB and be even more
amazed. I'm sure there are datacenter RAID implementations with even
more storage capacity. Capacity is often limited by the data bus.

http://www.popsci.com/technology/art...etabytes-worth

And that is old news.
Old November 6th 15, 07:52 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Lynn McGuire[_2_]

On 11/6/2015 1:40 AM, VanguardLH wrote:
Lynn McGuire wrote:

VanguardLH wrote:

Lynn McGuire wrote:

12 TB external drive for $613:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LEF28CI/

... two 6 TB HDDs ran in RAID-0 mode to make use of striping ...

Yes, it is a dual drive box raided to appear as a single drive.
Still, amazing amount of storage.

And if there is additional space inside the enclosure, more HDDs could
be added to make it even more amazing. Depends on the PCB, controller,
and design implemented as to whether or not you could use more than two
drives with that product.

Have fun building a RAID box that goes up to 64 TB and be even more
amazed. I'm sure there are datacenter RAID implementations with even
more storage capacity. Capacity is often limited by the data bus.

http://www.popsci.com/technology/art...etabytes-worth

And that is old news.

BackBlaze is building storage pods with 180 TB of storage:
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/stora...proven-design/

The Backblaze storage farm is now 150 PB.
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/the-n...ze-face-plate/

Lynn