Need advise on new Athlon 64 rig

Old January 1st 05, 07:44 AM
XYZ

Default Need advise on new Athlon 64 rig

MSI K8N Neo Platinum (Motherboard)
Athlon 64 2800+ Newcastle Socket 754 (Retail)
1-Corsair VS512MB400 512 MB DDR 400 Cas 2.5
ATX Case (Need advise on a case)

ATI Radeon 9600xt (This is my current video card which I plan to continue
using in the new system.)

I'm considering these parts to upgrade my current Athlon 1600+ system.
Shooter Games are probably the most demanding thing I use my computer for.
I'm trying to keep the cost below $400. Am I doing a good thing or am I
making a big mistake by not spending more and getting a socket 939 setup?

Is this something that would overclock well? if so what type of results
might I expect to see? Is the ram I'm considering of good enough quality
for overclocking?

Is it okay to have only one stick of ram? I sometimes see 512k advertised
as "two" 256k sticks.

I also need some advise on a good case with a power supply. My current case
along with the other left over parts will be used to upgrade my Daughter's
computer. All I ask for is a Plain Jane case that is easy to take apart for
upgrades and maintenance and provides enough power and ventilation for the
new
Athlon 64. I don't need it to look like an alien space ship with lights and
bright colors.

I'm considering zipzoomfly.com to order everything from. They seem to have
good prices and a good reputation. Is that a wise choice?

It seems kind of scary going from the XP 1600+ which is 1400 MHz to a Athlon
64 2800+ which is only 1800MHz. On the surface it doesn't seem like much of
a jump. I know that the benchmarks show a much bigger difference.

Well I hope you guys can help me out. I'm sorry for asking so many
questions but this all seems so overwhelming at times. Thanks for all of
your help.

Old January 1st 05, 11:07 AM
John Saunders

"XYZ" wrote:
I'm considering these parts to upgrade my current Athlon 1600+ system.
Shooter Games are probably the most demanding thing I use my computer for.
I'm trying to keep the cost below $400. Am I doing a good thing or am I
making a big mistake by not spending more and getting a socket 939 setup?

Socket 754 is OK, but you may not find CPUs in a couple of years
if you are thinking about an upgrade then. Also socket 754 CPUs do
not support dual channel memory (see below).

Is it okay to have only one stick of ram? I sometimes see 512k advertised
as "two" 256k sticks.

You only need 2 sticks for dual channel mode, which socket
754 doesn't support. Dual channel memory is a performance
boost for memory intensive stuff, not sure about gaming
though.

I also need some advise on a good case with a power supply. My current
case
along with the other left over parts will be used to upgrade my Daughter's
computer. All I ask for is a Plain Jane case that is easy to take apart
for
upgrades and maintenance and provides enough power and ventilation for the
new Athlon 64. I don't need it to look like an alien space ship with
lights
and bright colors.

I have an Antec Sonata and would reccomend it to anybody. It
comes with a decent power supply, and is a low noise design
that works reasonably well for the price.

It seems kind of scary going from the XP 1600+ which is 1400 MHz to a
Athlon
64 2800+ which is only 1800MHz. On the surface it doesn't seem like much
of
a jump. I know that the benchmarks show a much bigger difference.

Why not get a 3000+, it costs $20 extra for a full 2GHz.

Old January 1st 05, 06:08 PM
XYZ

Sorry, I've been so advised. Thanks for your advice. Too bad spell
checkers don't look at the subject.

Old January 2nd 05, 01:21 AM
Mitch Crane

"XYZ" wrote in
:

I'm considering zipzoomfly.com to order everything from. They seem to
have good prices and a good reputation. Is that a wise choice?

I've always had good experiences with them and with newegg.

As for your hardware choices, I pretty much agree with John.

Old January 2nd 05, 01:34 AM
Ed Light

"Falcon Freak" wrote in message
Learn how to spell advice and then maybe somebody will offer some to you.

What -- you can't "advise"? It's not so hard.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old January 2nd 05, 01:36 AM
Ed Light

"Mitch Crane" -three wrote in message
.95...
"XYZ" wrote in
:

You can check out most places at http://resellerratings.com

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old January 2nd 05, 01:53 AM
Der Steppenwolf

Go with socket 939 if you can. It does costs more now but you will be
able to uppgrade later on, socket754 CPU are getting phased out slowly
and 939 is what amd will use thru 2005 anyway.

Old January 2nd 05, 12:43 PM
Falcon Freak

What he was asking for is advice.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=advice