OC'ing RAID Corruption...

Old December 8th 05, 06:33 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd

Default OC'ing RAID Corruption...

I applied a little OC - AMD X2 64 Winchester, MSI NEO2.. by dropping the HT
to 4 and upping the FSP to 220... I have a HighPoint RocketRAID 464 PCI card
w/ 4 HD's attached... After running for a day or so, I noticed some files
missing on the RAID array... I rebooted, XP went into chkdesk and 'fixed'
the problem... the drive had become corrupt... I had also noticed the day
before a large photoshop file was partially corrupt...

Question: Does upping the FSB stress the RAID card.... any solutions?
thoughts?

Thanks!

Old December 8th 05, 07:39 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd

"Vigor" wrote in message
I applied a little OC - AMD X2 64 Winchester, MSI NEO2.. by dropping the HT
to 4 and upping the FSP to 220... I have a HighPoint RocketRAID 464 PCI
card w/ 4 HD's attached... After running for a day or so, I noticed some
files missing on the RAID array... I rebooted, XP went into chkdesk and
'fixed' the problem... the drive had become corrupt... I had also noticed
the day before a large photoshop file was partially corrupt...

Question: Does upping the FSB stress the RAID card.... any solutions?
thoughts?

Thanks!

Sounds like the PCI/AGP bus isn't locked. You don't mention if it's a Via
or Nforce board but you can try setting the AGP bus speed to 67 to lock it.
That's a trick that's known to work for the nforce boards.

Old December 8th 05, 10:31 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd

Vigorwrote:
I applied a little OC - AMD X2 64 Winchester, MSI NEO2.. by dropping
the HT
to 4 and upping the FSP to 220... I have a HighPoint RocketRAID 464

PCI card
w/ 4 HD's attached... After running for a day or so, I noticed some

files
missing on the RAID array... I rebooted, XP went into chkdesk and

'fixed'
the problem... the drive had become corrupt... I had also noticed

the day
before a large photoshop file was partially corrupt...

Question: Does upping the FSB stress the RAID card.... any

solutions?
thoughts?

Thanks!

Yes it does. You must be able to lock in the PCI bus frequency, or
you're overclocking the cards on it. The PCI bus runs at 33/ 66 mghz
respectively. Most all PCI cards I'm aware off, must be run at their
designed speed. Especially something as delicate as a RAID card.

Most gamer boards isolate the AGP card and that is set separately.

This is a common problem over clocking "mainstream" motherboards, and
for the most part, has been addressed. Certainly with a gamer
Motherboard, designed to be oc'd.

Check your system bios, you'll probably have that ability in there.
My Lan Party board does, and it's not that new. I'm not familiar
with your board though.

Best of Luck

Old December 8th 05, 01:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd

In article , Vigor
says...
I applied a little OC - AMD X2 64 Winchester, MSI NEO2.. by dropping the HT
to 4 and upping the FSP to 220... I have a HighPoint RocketRAID 464 PCI card
w/ 4 HD's attached... After running for a day or so, I noticed some files
missing on the RAID array... I rebooted, XP went into chkdesk and 'fixed'
the problem... the drive had become corrupt... I had also noticed the day
before a large photoshop file was partially corrupt...

Question: Does upping the FSB stress the RAID card.... any solutions?
thoughts?

Unless your motherboard can lock the PCI speed of course it does. It
stresses everything...AGP/PCI-e/any PCI device/USB ports - basically
everything plugged into or part of the motherboard.

--
Conor

"You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend and you've never seen
Star Trek? Good Lord!" - Patrick Stewart, Extras.
Old December 8th 05, 02:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd

That does make sense... the board is the MSI K8N Neo2 Plat - I had set the
AGP bus to 67... what software will test the PCI bus speed and verify it is
indeed locking at 67?

"Conor" wrote in message
t...
In article , Vigor
says...

Old December 8th 05, 04:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd

On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 01:33:53 -0500, Vigor wrote:

I applied a little OC - AMD X2 64 Winchester, MSI NEO2.. by dropping the
HT to 4 and upping the FSP to 220... I have a HighPoint RocketRAID 464 PCI
card w/ 4 HD's attached... After running for a day or so, I noticed some
files missing on the RAID array... I rebooted, XP went into chkdesk and
'fixed' the problem... the drive had become corrupt... I had also noticed
the day before a large photoshop file was partially corrupt...

Question: Does upping the FSB stress the RAID card.... any solutions?
thoughts?

All depends on mb, but raising the FSB also affects other buses to some
degree. Assuming your MB does nothing but use the standard 6 divider
for the PCI bus, raising the FSB to 220 would put the PCI bus at 36.66MHz
and the AGP bus at 73.33MHz. Not a huge raise, and most pci devices should
work ok at that speed. Do you really need a PCI lock? No, but the MB
should have higher didviders than 6 if you are going to run the system
clock over 216MHz. My old sis755 board doesn't have a lock that I know of,
but I can still run it at 233MHz without a problem. I'm pretty sure I
recall that sis uses an algorithym or table that limits the speed of the
PCI bus and once reached, the next divider is used.. Either that, or my
pci/agp devices work at 38.83/77.6MHz without problem. Of course of the MB
maker doesn't do it right none of it really matters.:-)

Old December 8th 05, 04:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd

In article , Vigor says...

http://www.cpuid.com/download/cpu-z-131.zip

Old December 8th 05, 06:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd

"Conor" wrote in message
t...
In article , Vigor says...
That does make sense... the board is the MSI K8N Neo2 Plat - I had set
the
AGP bus to 67... what software will test the PCI bus speed and verify it
is
indeed locking at 67?

http://www.cpuid.com/download/cpu-z-131.zip

--
Conor

I think he'd rather have clockgen. http://www.cpuid.com/cg.php?cgid=NVNF3
But the other thing's good for something too...

Old December 8th 05, 09:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd

Generally, HT doesn't need to be lowered until you hit 240-250 FSB. Then
it's usually mandatory
But since your AGP was locked most likely the PCI was as well.
The problem could have come from not enoigh voltage while overcloclocking. I
always raise CPU,Vdimm voltage at least .1v minimum.

Old December 9th 05, 07:29 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd

On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 21:53:34 +0000, dawg wrote:

Generally, HT doesn't need to be lowered until you hit 240-250 FSB. Then
it's usually mandatory

You can't go over about 215-220MHz on socket 754 boards before you need to
lower HT. HT should be lowered anytime you overclock the system bus. It
plays very little part in system performance so it won't hurt. not
lowering it might.