Crysis -- unoptimized?

Old February 10th 09, 05:07 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
msdos622wasfun

Default Crysis -- unoptimized?

Well, now that I have a GTX 280, I tried the Crysis demo, and I'm
getting between 30 and 55 FPS on average (sometimes less, sometimes
more) with most of the eye candy turned on at 1400 x 1050. That's
perfectly playable, of course, but almost everyone these days is
looking to get more out of that title with their current rig.

It looks terrific, but what's up with this game? Are we to believe
that it was poorly coded, or is it simply such a stunning piece of
software visually that it's bound to scare the hell out of even the
most modern GPU? After all, it's not like we have access to the actual
source code, so we can't know for sure how unoptimized it is.

It's funny, because in my opinion, a game like COD4:MW (I recently
installed the demo) looks pretty much just as good, but unlike Crysis I
usually get at least 80 FPS in it, sometimes much higher (and that's
maxed out on my 22" monitor).

--
Erich K.
Old February 11th 09, 06:26 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus[_4_]

"msdos622wasfun" wrote in message
[...]

Ok...you have a GTX 280 and it gets 40fps or so in the Crysis Demo at high
settings. What system is this running on? How much memory, the model and
type of CPU and the video drivers and OS being used would help.

Old February 11th 09, 09:57 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
msdos622wasfun

Augustus wrote:

[...]

No problem, I can provide that:

* Intel Core 2 Quad (Q9300) @ 3.30 GHz
* EVGA nForce 780i mainboard
* 2 GB DDR2 800 RAM
* Sound Blaster Audigy 4
* Vista Ultimate 32-bit
* Display driver version: 178.24

Obviously, I'm pretty sure I'm using DX10. And oh, the GPU of my GTX
280 is overclocked as well @ 665 MHz.

I started discussing this on Guru3D.com, and I was kind of criticized
for suggesting that CoD4 looked pretty much just as good as Crysis. I
don't know, maybe it was an impulsive judgment. IMHO, they're both
impressive. And don't get me wrong -- Crysis looks amazing. We
probably can't escape the fact that part of the reason it is such a
challenge for many systems to run is because it's so incredibly
detailed.

I found this amusing ... I decided to totally max out the Crysis demo:
1680 x 1050 (my monitor's maximum native resolution), full AA, Very
High Everything. The result? 10 - 20 FPS depending on what was going
on. Hehehe ... I actually found it to be fairly tolerable, but it goes
without saying that I wouldn't describe it as super smooth. Still, it
looked absolutely breathtaking.

Now, take Unreal Tournament 3, for example. That's currently my
favorite game, and I think it looks great. A card like the GTX 280
handles it with ease ... heck, my 9800 GTX (my previous card) was
pretty much the same.

--
Erich K.
Old February 11th 09, 06:36 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
MickT

Crysis was one of those "future" games which require the next (or two)
generation(s) GPU to play smoothly :P

This indicated your 280 is running normally
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...85,2139-4.html

This show you, if you play Crysis in 1680x1050 with 4xAA & 8xAF and still
want 70fsp, you need two GTX295 in SLI mode and a Core i7 CPU too ( or wait
for the next generation GPU :P )
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...95,2123-4.html

Old February 11th 09, 07:58 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
msdos622wasfun

MickT wrote:

Crysis was one of those "future" games which require the next (or
two) generation(s) GPU to play smoothly :P

This indicated your 280 is running normally
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...85,2139-4.html

This show you, if you play Crysis in 1680x1050 with 4xAA & 8xAF and
still want 70fsp, you need two GTX295 in SLI mode and a Core i7 CPU
too ( or wait for the next generation GPU :P )
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...95,2123-4.html

Yes, I guess you are right. I've come to accept the fact that Crysis
is an ambitious game that was designed to last a long time. And to be
honest, I'm not really disappointed with the frame rates I'm getting --
it's pretty much what I expected with the video card that I bought.
Okay, well ... maybe I thought it would be just a tiny bit
better/faster. But I certainly can live with it. The GTX 280 is a
pretty good performer by itself. I just installed the copy of Far Cry
2 that it came with, cranked it up all the way, and I was still getting
25 - 45 FPS.

--
Erich K.
Old February 11th 09, 08:05 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Timelord

I have Crysis and the frame rate is low on mine too.
Here are my system specs.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5ghz
Nvidia 9800GX2
8 gig of PC3 10666 1333mhz RAM
Gigabyte GA-X48T-DQ6 mobo

I would have thought that this would have run it very smooth indeed.

Old February 12th 09, 08:17 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
msdos622wasfun

msdos622wasfun wrote:

[snip]

I found this amusing ... I decided to totally max out the Crysis demo:
1680 x 1050 (my monitor's maximum native resolution), full AA, Very
High Everything. The result? 10 - 20 FPS depending on what was going
on. Hehehe ... I actually found it to be fairly tolerable, but it
goes without saying that I wouldn't describe it as super smooth.
Still, it looked absolutely breathtaking.

[snip]

Update...

Okay, I kept all the visual qualities at Very High but reduced the
anti-aliasing one notch at a time. Each reduction resulted in a few
more frames per second. With AA totally turned off, the graphics were
still very impressive, and I would say it then officially qualified as
playable -- pretty smooth the vast majority of the time with minimal
lag. Even with AA set at 2x it was very close to this, so it's nice to
know you can turn AA on and still enjoy the game with slightly improved
visual quality.

I guess it's all a matter of finding that sweet spot where you can get
the best possible graphics at an optimal frame rate. Most enthusiasts
seem to agree that's between 30 and 50, maybe even 60 FPS (but of
course, the more the better).

I also know that it's a subject of some debate as to whether
anti-aliasing adds anything to a game like Crysis. Some people seem to
feel that it's not worth enabling due to the performance penalty.
Personally I think I noticed a very slight difference when I looked
closely enough, but it definitely wasn't as significant as I thought it
would be.

--
Erich K.
Old February 12th 09, 08:30 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
msdos622wasfun

timelord wrote:

I have Crysis and the frame rate is low on mine too.
Here are my system specs.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5ghz
Nvidia 9800GX2
8 gig of PC3 10666 1333mhz RAM
Gigabyte GA-X48T-DQ6 mobo

I would have thought that this would have run it very smooth indeed.

I hear ya, mate. The 9800 GX2 is no wimpy piece of video hardware.

At what settings and resolution do you usually play the game?

--
Erich K.