wireless print server

Old August 21st 15, 02:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware
micky

Default wireless print server

To connect a printer that's not wireless to a wireless network, one uses
a wireless print server.

But what about a scanner? Do those connect the same way, with a
wireless print server?
Old August 21st 15, 03:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware
micky

In microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, on Fri, 21 Aug 2015 09:47:54
-0400, micky wrote:

To connect a printer that's not wireless to a wireless network, one uses
a wireless print server.

But what about a scanner? Do those connect the same way, with a
wireless print server?

This is a one-port parallel print server
http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-1-Por.../dp/B00007IFDR
Who really needs this anymore, given that paralllel printers and
scanners are no longer made, afaik?

And here's a bigger question, How can they charge 100 to 450 dollars,
just for the server?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=all

And a bigger question yet, is, How can they charge 300, 350, or 454 for
a used one when someone else is charging 100 for a new one?

I've seen this before but not to this degree. What's going on?
Old August 21st 15, 08:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware
David H. Lipman

From: "micky"

To connect a printer that's not wireless to a wireless network, one uses
a wireless print server.

But what about a scanner? Do those connect the same way, with a
wireless print server?

I had a group purchase an Epson small-in-one Expression 810. It provides
Flatbed and ADF scanning over the wire and is WiFi compliant.

For less than $200 I had almost a dozen people share the device as a scanner
over a LAN. Networks scanners can be $750.00.

You can't just hook-up a device that connect a scanner to a LAN. There had
to be TWAIN software that works over network protocols and that requires
software from the scanner manufacturer.

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Old August 23rd 15, 01:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware
micky

In microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, on Fri, 21 Aug 2015 15:09:36

From: "micky"

To connect a printer that's not wireless to a wireless network, one uses
a wireless print server.

But what about a scanner? Do those connect the same way, with a
wireless print server?

I had a group purchase an Epson small-in-one Expression 810. It provides
Flatbed and ADF scanning over the wire and is WiFi compliant.

For less than $200 I had almost a dozen people share the device as a scanner
over a LAN. Networks scanners can be $750.00.

You can't just hook-up a device that connect a scanner to a LAN. There had
to be TWAIN software that works over network protocols and that requires
software from the scanner manufacturer.

If it wasn't made as a wireless scanner, it's not going to have that
software, right? I have a brand new in the box Microtek scanner
from the win98 era, with only a parallel interface, although online at
least there are dirvers for XP and Win7.

I want to give the scanner away to someone who can use it. It sounds
like a wireless connection of any sort won't be easily possible. And
t hat any connection to a laptop will be diffeicult

BTW Win 8 seemed to have come out soon after win7. Does that mean its
win7 drivers are more likely to work on Win8?
Old August 23rd 15, 02:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

-0400, micky wrote:

To connect a printer that's not wireless to a wireless network, one uses
a wireless print server.

But what about a scanner? Do those connect the same way, with a
wireless print server?

This is a one-port parallel print server
http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-1-Por.../dp/B00007IFDR
Who really needs this anymore, given that paralllel printers and
scanners are no longer made, afaik?

And here's a bigger question, How can they charge 100 to 450 dollars,
just for the server?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=all

And a bigger question yet, is, How can they charge 300, 350, or 454 for
a used one when someone else is charging 100 for a new one?

I've seen this before but not to this degree. What's going on?

Can't tell you. I've seen it too. A $35 shaver listed for $395.
Maybe bots are placing the ads and someone messed up the data file
they use.
Old August 23rd 15, 02:59 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware
Computer Nerd Kev

In microsoft.public.windowsxp.general micky wrote:
To connect a printer that's not wireless to a wireless network, one uses
a wireless print server.

But what about a scanner? Do those connect the same way, with a
wireless print server?

For USB scanners, there's USB/IP (http://usbip.sourceforge.net/).

For the wireless, I'd use a wireless router with Openwrt enstalled,
running the USB/IP software
(http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/usb.iptunnel). You'd need a router
with USB of course, but many have this.

The other option would be to set up an old PC, but required power and
reliability may be worse.

Parallel port network interfacing would be harder. If you could get
the scanner to work via a command line interface (maybe with SANE
drivers), you might be able to set up a PC with some scripts to
scan and put the resulting image on a network drive or something
similar. At least that would get around the need for drivers on
client computers and might therefore be quite reliable, but it
would be some work setting it up.

That option could of course be considered for USB as well. From
what I've seen, Parallel port scanners are worth nothing, used USB
scanners might be worth $2 if you try hard enough. There's not
much point trying to use a Parallel port scanner if USB has an
advantage.

--
__ __
#_ |\| | _#
Old August 23rd 15, 03:07 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware
Computer Nerd Kev

In microsoft.public.windowsxp.general Computer Nerd Kev wrote:

Parallel port network interfacing would be harder. If you could get
the scanner to work via a command line interface (maybe with SANE
drivers), you might be able to set up a PC with some scripts to
scan and put the resulting image on a network drive or something
similar. At least that would get around the need for drivers on
client computers and might therefore be quite reliable, but it
would be some work setting it up.

That option could of course be considered for USB as well.

Arh, can't stop researching...

There's a Web interface for SANE:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/phpsane/

--
__ __
#_ |\| | _#
Old August 23rd 15, 01:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware
David H. Lipman

From: "micky"

From: "micky"

[...]

It is more about networking than wireless. That is TWAIN over IP. If the
scanner doesn't perform TWAIN over IP it won't be a networkable scanner via
wired or wireless networking.

Microtek scanner - Please eRecycle the device.

Old August 23rd 15, 03:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware
micky

From: "micky"

From: "micky"

[...]

I have people who want it. Just this guy can't use it.
Old August 24th 15, 01:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware
David H. Lipman

From: "micky"

From: "micky"

From: "micky"

[...]

Give it away as-is then... Let them worry about it.