Radeon 9000 crash

Old October 26th 10, 06:49 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
pro-grammer

Default Radeon 9000 crash

Is there a problem with teh Radeon 9000 drivers and opengl
applications?

The Win32 API SetPixelFormat, which is vital for any opengl
application, consistently crashes on a Dell D600 laptop which has this
graphics card.
Old October 26th 10, 09:36 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
KCB[_2_]

?
"pro-grammer" wrote in message
Is there a problem with teh Radeon 9000 drivers and opengl
applications?

The Win32 API SetPixelFormat, which is vital for any opengl
application, consistently crashes on a Dell D600 laptop which has this
graphics card.

Which version of drivers are you using? It may be a version that needs the
OpenGL hotfix.

Old October 27th 10, 08:40 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
pro-grammer

Which version of drivers are you using? *It may be a version that needs the
OpenGL hotfix.

I got this from dxdiag:

Card Name - MOBILITY RADEON 9000
Driver - 6.14.0010.6462

Does this driver need a hotfix?

And if yes:
Is there something I as an opengl programmer can do to avoid this
crash on peoples machines who dont have a hot fix?
Are there any articles/announcements that talk about this driver
issue?

Sorry for the many questions. Appreciate your help.
Old October 27th 10, 01:35 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
KCB[_2_]

"pro-grammer" wrote in message

Which version of drivers are you using? It may be a version that needs
the
OpenGL hotfix.

I got this from dxdiag:

Card Name - MOBILITY RADEON 9000
Driver - 6.14.0010.6462

Does this driver need a hotfix?

And if yes:
Is there something I as an opengl programmer can do to avoid this
crash on peoples machines who dont have a hot fix?
Are there any articles/announcements that talk about this driver
issue?

Sorry for the many questions. Appreciate your help.

Sorry, I was mistaken. It is an AGP hotfix. Did you get those drivers from
Dell, or ATI? It looks like the last driver at Dell is from 2005.

Old October 28th 10, 05:44 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
pro-grammer

Sorry, I was mistaken. *It is an AGP hotfix. *Did you get those drivers from
Dell, or ATI? *It looks like the last driver at Dell is from 2005.- Hide quoted text -

This issue I am facing is a production crash for my application, and I
dont know how the customer got his drivers. But I think we can assume
that he hasnt really messed with the drivers, and that the drivers he
has came with this laptop.

I am trying to find out if:
(a) Is this a known issue for the 6.14.0010.6462 ATI MOBILITY RADEON
9000 drivers for Dell D600 laptop
(b) Is there something I can do programatically to avoid the crash in
my opengl application

Appreciate your help.
Old October 28th 10, 09:14 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
KCB[_2_]

?
"pro-grammer" wrote in message

Sorry, I was mistaken. It is an AGP hotfix. Did you get those drivers
from
Dell, or ATI? It looks like the last driver at Dell is from 2005.- Hide
quoted text -

This issue I am facing is a production crash for my application, and I
dont know how the customer got his drivers. But I think we can assume
that he hasnt really messed with the drivers, and that the drivers he
has came with this laptop.

I am trying to find out if:
(a) Is this a known issue for the 6.14.0010.6462 ATI MOBILITY RADEON
9000 drivers for Dell D600 laptop
(b) Is there something I can do programatically to avoid the crash in
my opengl application

Appreciate your help.

I was thinking driver issue, but it may be the machine is hardware limited,
and won't work with what you're trying to do. That is a fairly old video
card, old being relative to computers, I mean. I can't help with your
programming, but maybe you'll find something he
http://www.opengl.org/search/?cx=017...&sa=Search#953

or he
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Sea...xelformat&ac=2

Good Luck

Old October 28th 10, 09:43 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Chuck

On 10/28/2010 4:14 PM, KCB wrote:
?
[...]

Evidently an old problem--
http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boa...&Number=246845
Old October 29th 10, 07:31 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Chuck

On 10/28/2010 4:43 PM, Chuck wrote:
On 10/28/2010 4:14 PM, KCB wrote:
?
[...]

I forgot to remember and mention that I had this problem with an ATI AGP
card several years ago. The eventual solution was an odd one. The
original drivers had a bunch of open GL functions disabled for whatever
reason. Games mentioned in the thread did not run, or ran using a
software OGL emulator that was supplied with some games as an alternative.

The cure was not installing newer drivers. I ended up installing a
developers package for ATI to debug, and find out what was going on.
Lo and Behold, the problem went away. Further, it stayed gone, even when
the developer software was uninstalled.
I always suspected that a registry entry or value was added or changed
by the developer software, but never bothered to go back and find out.
(One system, one card, never gonna buy the same card again, as it was an
AGP card, and getting quite long in the tooth.)
Old November 2nd 10, 06:18 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
pro-grammer

The eventual solution was an odd one. The
original drivers had a bunch of open GL functions disabled for whatever
reason. Games mentioned in the thread did not run, or ran using a
software OGL emulator that was supplied with some games as an alternative.

The cure was not installing newer drivers. I ended up installing a
developers package for ATI to debug, and find out what was going on.
Lo and Behold, the problem went away. Further, it stayed gone, even when
the developer software was uninstalled.
I always suspected that a registry entry or value was added or changed
by the developer software, but never bothered to go back and find out.

Thanks for that lead Chuck... Just one clarification - What did you
mean by "developers package"?

Anyone here have a clue of how installing a developers package could
have fixed Chuck's issue?

Another bit of info I have is that the opengl dll in question is
atioglxx.dll, version 6.13.10.3446

Evidently an old problem--
http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boa...ubb=showflat&N...

The problem discussed at the above link was not the same as my
problem...
Old November 2nd 10, 03:29 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Chuck

On 11/2/2010 2:18 AM, pro-grammer wrote:
[...]

Developer's kit, software, etc.
ATI/AMD has reorganized it's web sites to the point that I have no idea
where developers info and so forth is now located. Let alone for the
older cards. What I did find out in past references to OGL was that
early driver versions shipped with some cards had features disabled,
likely due to "bugs". Exactly how they were disabled was not obvious. It
seemed that registry entries were involved, and the later driver
installs did not reset/change the entries that disabled the features.
Evidently installing the developer software did change the registry
entries to allow full use, and for obvious reasons, enabled everything.
I originally installed the "kit" to use some of the debug features,
and because the registry changes fixed the problem, never got any useful
information from the debug software.

Between ATI Nvidia, and Microsoft supplied video drivers and registry
entries, it's obvious that some "safe" reliable process is needed for
cleanup of older entries. Enough said.
I never did find a list of what entries were used, and other than a
manual "seek and find", along with hit and miss registry editing, get
rid of the problem entries.

These days, there are some registry "walkers" that will map the chains
of entries. I'm retired these days, and on to more mundane matters.

Radeon 9000 Problem hawk Ati Videocards 2 June 8th 04 07:21 AM
Radeon 9000 help g Ati Videocards 3 November 11th 03 06:37 PM
ATI Radeon 9800 + Capture card or ATI Radeon All in Wonder 9000 furanomycin Ati Videocards 3 October 5th 03 04:52 PM
AIW 9000 Radeon Pro - 3.6 8.5 fails to record, MMC crash Jim T. Ati Videocards 1 August 13th 03 11:01 AM
Radeon 9000 on XP... wildcat Ati Videocards 1 July 11th 03 11:04 AM