running too hot?

Old December 27th 05, 02:07 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Default running too hot?

Hello. Regarding a prior post, this is the second hard drive in this
machine that has had physical problems in the last 6 months. I wonder
if it is a power or heat problem. I was fairly sure that the first was
due to the fact that his room gets way too hot and the computer also
throws off tons of heat. He bought this huge server tower and built his
machine in there. He has a big CPU fan and 3 or 4 fans on the case. It
is winter now, so of course we won't be running the air conditioning.
What else can he do to his box to keep the drives cooler? I will need
to see if the drives are adjacent, and what they are near.

Irwin

Old December 27th 05, 03:57 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Previously Irwin wrote:
Hello. Regarding a prior post, this is the second hard drive in this
machine that has had physical problems in the last 6 months. I wonder
if it is a power or heat problem. I was fairly sure that the first was
due to the fact that his room gets way too hot and the computer also
throws off tons of heat. He bought this huge server tower and built his
machine in there. He has a big CPU fan and 3 or 4 fans on the case. It
is winter now, so of course we won't be running the air conditioning.
What else can he do to his box to keep the drives cooler? I will need
to see if the drives are adjacent, and what they are near.

Best method: Get fans directly before the HDDs that blow air
over them from the outside. Some cases have this. You can also
get some enclosures that do this. You can do it yourself as well
(ususllay needs mounting the drives in 5 1/4" bays, cutting
appropriate holes into the front plastic covers and installing
an 80mm or 120mm fan there).

Arno

Old December 27th 05, 07:12 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Irwin wrote

Hello. Regarding a prior post, this is the second hard drive
in this machine that has had physical problems in the last
6 months. I wonder if it is a power or heat problem.

Could be either. Monitor the drive temps using Everest.
Use the Sensors item under Computer in the left column.

Best to keep the drives below about 40-45.

I was fairly sure that the first was due to the fact that his room
gets way too hot and the computer also throws off tons of heat.
He bought this huge server tower and built his machine in there.
He has a big CPU fan and 3 or 4 fans on the case.

The problem with hard drives is that many mount
them all adjacent in the 3.5" drive bay stack and
that can see them get quite hot in summer.

It is winter now, so of course we won't be running the
air conditioning. What else can he do to his box to keep
the drives cooler? I will need to see if the drives are adjacent,

Leave a free slot between them if possible. If not, move
one of them to the lowest 5" drive bay slot in a mounting kit.

You may find that one of the case fans blowing onto
the drives in the 3.5" bay stack is enough even if they
are adjacent. Really depends on the drives, some like
the seagates tend to run hotter than say the samsungs.

and what they are near.

That isnt usually a problem.

Old December 28th 05, 02:26 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Sean Cousins wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Really depends on the drives, some like the seagates
tend to run hotter than say the samsungs.

I have a Seagate Barracuda and a Samsung
Spinpoint, they both read 43c in Everest right now.

Doesnt prove anything much unless you
swap them around and get the same result.

I've got a pair of Samsung P80s, 120G and 160G
in one system and they arent always at the same
temp, mainly because of where they are mounted.
The relativitys change when you change them around.

Old December 28th 05, 08:40 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Sean Cousins wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Sean Cousins wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Really depends on the drives, some like the seagates
tend to run hotter than say the samsungs.

I have a Seagate Barracuda and a Samsung
Spinpoint, they both read 43c in Everest right now.

Doesnt prove anything much unless you
swap them around and get the same result.

I'm not about to do that do prove a point but they are
close enough together that my point is fairly accurate.

No it doesnt.

Seagate HDD's don't run any hotter than Samsung's.

You dont know that.

You don't even have both makes of HDD installed

You dont know that either.

so how would you know?

I might just have more than that particular PC.

Old December 28th 05, 08:42 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Sean Cousins wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Sean Cousins wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Really depends on the drives, some like the seagates
tend to run hotter than say the samsungs.

I have a Seagate Barracuda and a Samsung
Spinpoint, they both read 43c in Everest right now.

Doesnt prove anything much unless you
swap them around and get the same result.

I'm not about to do that do prove a point but they are
close enough together that my point is fairly accurate.

No it doesnt.

Seagate HDD's don't run any hotter than Samsung's.

You dont know that.

You don't even have both makes of HDD installed

You dont know that either.

so how would you know?

I might just have more than that particular PC.

Try running both of them loose on the desktop and see which gets hotter.

Corse you arent actually interested in the facts, so you wont actually bother.

Old December 29th 05, 06:45 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Really depends on the drives, some like
the seagates tend to run hotter than say the samsungs.

I have a Seagate Barracuda and a Samsung Spinpoint, they both read 43c
in Everest right now.

That is strange. My two disks always show a different temperature.

Old December 30th 05, 01:56 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Sean Cousins wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Sean Cousins wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Sean Cousins wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Sean Cousins wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Really depends on the drives, some like the seagates
tend to run hotter than say the samsungs.

I have a Seagate Barracuda and a Samsung
Spinpoint, they both read 43c in Everest right now.

Doesnt prove anything much unless you
swap them around and get the same result.

I'm not about to do that do prove a point but they are
close enough together that my point is fairly accurate.

No it doesnt.

Seagate HDD's don't run any hotter than Samsung's.

You dont know that.

You don't even have both makes of HDD installed

You dont know that either.

so how would you know?

I might just have more than that particular PC.

Try running both of them loose on the desktop and see which gets hotter.

Corse you arent actually interested
in the facts, so you wont actually bother.

It's not that I'm not interested, it's that I'm
not going to pull my PC apart to prove a point.

Then you should have kept your trap shut.

All we have seen from you is your opinion
based on absolutely nothing at all.

That's rather ironic.

That's your pathetic excuse for bull****.

You are the one claiming that Seagate runs hotter than
Samsung and yet you provide no data to back up your claim.

I TOLD you how to check that for yourself. You choose not to do that.

The onus is on you and not me.

I TOLD you how to check that for yourself. You choose not to do that.

Provide the data to back up your claim or STFU.

Go and **** yourself.

Its unlikely that both your drives are running at the same
temp, its likely you arent measuring the drive temp properly.

Corse you will now try claiming that they arent at the same temp anymore.

Old December 30th 05, 05:39 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Previously Peter wrote:
Really depends on the drives, some like
the seagates tend to run hotter than say the samsungs.

I have a Seagate Barracuda and a Samsung Spinpoint, they both read 43c
in Everest right now.

That is strange. My two disks always show a different temperature.

What do you mean? Fluctuating readings? I have had that wit one
old Maxtor drive. Probably a bad sensor. Or different temperatures
in both drives? Not surptising, the temperature sensors are cheap and
possibly have 2-3C tolerance. Also the drives may have slightly
different cooling and load.

Example:

R4 ~#hddtemp /dev/hda /dev/hdb /dev/hdc /dev/hdd
/dev/hda: ST3400832A: 26 C
/dev/hdb: ST3400832A: 26 C
/dev/hdc: ST3400832A: 26 C
/dev/hdd: ST3400832A: 28 C
R4 ~#

These drives have identical load (it is a RAID5 array) and identical
cooling.

Arno