"Hanging Up On Dell Tech Support", Business Week 10/10/05 (link)

Old October 7th 05, 04:32 AM
Notan

Administrator wrote:

S.Lewis wrote:
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...02.htm?chan=tc

Stew

Be very careful. The DellBots on this group will attack you for saying
anything negative about the great Dell!

Stew *is* a Dellbot. Ha!!!

Notan
Old October 7th 05, 08:19 AM
Paul Knudsen

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 09:53:50 -0400, Rich wrote:

i'm not the original poster but...when i buy a new PC i either specify
that no apps come pre-installed or I completely wipe the hard drive,
re-install the OS and go from there. might not be an option for mos
folks but it works for me.

Most people like getting free stuff, but suit yourself.
--
Top 10 Conservative Idiots:
Old October 7th 05, 12:38 PM
Tom Scales

"Administrator" wrote in message
S.Lewis wrote:
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...02.htm?chan=tc

Stew

Be very careful. The DellBots on this group will attack you for saying
anything negative about the great Dell!

You do realize this thread is days old and no one but you has interjected a
useless comment -- positive or negative?

Old October 7th 05, 03:21 PM
Notan

Paul Knudsen wrote:

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 09:53:50 -0400, Rich wrote:

i'm not the original poster but...when i buy a new PC i either specify
that no apps come pre-installed or I completely wipe the hard drive,
re-install the OS and go from there. might not be an option for mos
folks but it works for me.

Most people like getting free stuff, but suit yourself.

"Free stuff?" You mean, like AOL or NAV?

Thanks, but no thanks! g

Notan
Old October 7th 05, 04:47 PM
S.Lewis

"Notan" wrote in message
Administrator wrote:

S.Lewis wrote:
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...02.htm?chan=tc

Stew

Be very careful. The DellBots on this group will attack you for saying
anything negative about the great Dell!

Stew *is* a Dellbot. Ha!!!

Notan

Shhhhuhsh. Noooonan. Zippppaaaaaaaah.

(g)

Stew

Old October 8th 05, 08:07 AM
Sparky Spartacus

Administrator wrote:

S.Lewis wrote:

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...02.htm?chan=tc

Stew

Be very careful. The DellBots on this group will attack you for saying
anything negative about the great Dell!

I thought Stew *was* a Dellbot?

Old October 8th 05, 08:20 AM
Paul Knudsen

On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 08:21:34 -0600, Notan wrote:

Paul Knudsen wrote:

Most people like getting free stuff, but suit yourself.

"Free stuff?" You mean, like AOL or NAV?

Yes. I was an AOL user for a long time. In fact I met my wife there.
I'm not now. As I recall AOL was not actually installed on my Dell;
there was simply a link to the installer.

Norton came with my Dell, and I registered and used it for years until
I installed a new drive and found I did not have Norton on CD.
Firewall and AVG are good enough.

Thanks, but no thanks! g

You're wecome. And "Add/Remove Programs" is your friend.
--
Top 10 Conservative Idiots:
Old October 8th 05, 02:14 PM
Notan

Paul Knudsen wrote:

Most people like getting free stuff, but suit yourself.

"Free stuff?" You mean, like AOL or NAV?

Yes. I was an AOL user for a long time. In fact I met my wife there.
I'm not now. As I recall AOL was not actually installed on my Dell;
there was simply a link to the installer.

Norton came with my Dell, and I registered and used it for years until
I installed a new drive and found I did not have Norton on CD.
Firewall and AVG are good enough.

Thanks, but no thanks! g

You're wecome. And "Add/Remove Programs" is your friend.

For some programs, "Add/Remove Programs" isn't enough. Personally,
I'm a firm believer in a fresh format and OS/program installation
upon receiving a new system.

To each, his own.

Notan
Old October 9th 05, 02:36 AM
Dan

Dell is doing a worse thing than not offering support...they're
wasting the customer's time.

My company, which provides on-site support for Dell (we'll call it
"QualxTecServ" to conglomerate the local big-three, Qualxserv, BancTec
and Unisys) makes us do an interesting thing. My boss has expressly
demanded that I must become "part psychologist" in order to "mend the
customer's psyche after Dell has blown it all to hell". I'll attest
that three quarters of all customer's are almost immediately yelling
at me how many hours they had to waste on the phone, and that the
Indian tech support had the nerve to MAKE them start taking apart the
comptuer themselves. They said the phone CSR threatened to void the
warranty and refused to send the tech (me) out if they didn't start
taking the computer apart. Nothing like a little morale boost!

The major problem is that customers identify our company,
QuialxTecServ, with Dell. Therefore they think we're just another
extension of the Dell tech support. One screw up on our part, a
service call time window missed by 5 minutes and the culmination of
hours of frustration can be heard 50 feet away from our cel-phone
speaker. This is not an isolated incident...it is an expected and
commonplace occurrence among techs. I just laugh and say it happens
all the time and that seems to **** off the customer even more

Thankfully other computer companies are picking up Dell's pieces.
Look for the cow-box company to start providing better service in the
coming months.

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 22:15:21 GMT, "Irene" wrote:

I said it over a year ago. Dell's Tech Support has gone totally to pot and
ONLY when their customers get angry enough and start walking away in large
numbers will Dell take action.

It happened with the business division and Dell acted.

Now it sound like it MAY be happening with the consumer division.
What that action will be and how far it goes remains to be seen. So far it
is mostly speculation and half promises. But one thing I am sure of; the
final result will depend primarily on just how many customers Dell has walk
on them and how fast.

It is going to take a lot to get this former loyal customer back.

Irene

Dell Tech Support rila Dell Computers 48 April 1st 05 09:01 AM
My horrible ATI tech support call Lydokane Ati Videocards 12 July 25th 04 12:57 AM
LITEON's dark secret? No Longer a LiteOn Customer Homebuilt PC's 49 April 15th 04 04:41 AM
BUYER BEWA Dell Tech Support for Home Buyers PC Gladiator Dell Computers 26 November 28th 03 06:09 AM