Recommendation for scoreboard camera?

Old January 27th 08, 09:07 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.webcam
Jim Duff

Default Recommendation for scoreboard camera?

Hello,

I've been researching web cameras and not making much headway. I would
like to see if the ng can recommend something for me.

I'm interested in a camera for installation at a small cricket ground
that will give good resolution of the score board (with the size of
letters and digits about 40 cm tall) from ~150 metres away.

A secondary requirement would be to wireless enable the camera so I
would not have to duplicate existing internet connectivity.
Rather, I could use an existing network (located also ~150
metres in a direct line of sight from the proposed camera location).

I suspect the camera would be mounted indoors looking out a window at
this time.

Would someone be so kind as to recommend something suitable for this
purpose?

TIA,
Jim.

Old February 3rd 08, 09:38 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.webcam
DeadCat

"Jim Duff" wrote in message
[...]

If you're looking for a ready-built solution, how about combining something
like http://www.axis.com/products/cam_211/index.htm with a suitable CS-mount
lens and a wireless ethernet bridge?

Alternatively, you could take a DIY approach like that described at
http://www.sgurr.co.uk/lundycam/diy_toucam.html
Using a 135mm lens from a 35mm camera attached to the 640x480 image sensor
from an Axis 205 camera, I estimate that I can resolve a 3 metre object at
40 kilometers in clear weather, and the field of view is about 1km wide, see
examples at http://www.sgurr.co.uk/lundycam/gallery.html.
If you want a resolve 40cm digits, I guess you might need 4cm-wide pixels to
do this reliably. This suggests that you would need a lens with a focal
length of about 30mm. If going down this route, it might be worthwhile to
buy a second-hand zoom lens from a 35mm camera, so you can experiment to see
which focal length works best.

In either case, I think getting 150m range with wireless ethernet might need
a directional antenna. If the camera location and the network location share
a common power supply, it might be worth trying a Homeplug
ethernet-over-power arrangement.