"No Battery Installed" Dell Latitude CPi D300

Old November 26th 03, 08:52 PM
Craig Dieter

Default "No Battery Installed" Dell Latitude CPi D300

I purchased a Dell Latitude CPi D300 and get "Not Installed" on the battery
status page of the CMOS setup and there actually is a charged battery in
there. System only operates from the AC adapter, and is not heating the
adapter (ie low current draw). I have reviewed the literature on dell's
website but have not found any definitive solutions listed there. Any
thoughts?

Thanks
Craig D

Old November 27th 03, 10:07 AM
mike

Craig Dieter wrote:
I purchased a Dell Latitude CPi D300 and get "Not Installed" on the battery
status page of the CMOS setup and there actually is a charged battery in
there. System only operates from the AC adapter, and is not heating the
adapter (ie low current draw). I have reviewed the literature on dell's
website but have not found any definitive solutions listed there. Any
thoughts?

Thanks
Craig D

I have a CPiA400 that regularly gets confused about whether a battery is
present, whether it's running on AC or battery, charge level etc.
Since it's still running ok, I just ignore it. Turning it off, pulling
the battery, rebooting, inserting the battery usually fixes it temporarily.
There have been reports of loose case screws letting the battery sag
enough to lose contact with the data pins.
mike

laptops and parts Test Equipment
Honda CB-125S
TEK Sampling Sweep Plugin and RM564
Tek 2465 $800, ham radio, 30pS pulser

Old November 29th 03, 10:34 AM
zuuum

Isn't it under warranty??? Don't even mess with it. Call Dell and tell
them to fix it, NOW! You paid for a machine that operates properly. If it
doesn't, have them fix the thing. Don't live with something that seems to
not be a big deal because it is running. In most cases you can return the
machine without your hard disk, if you are worried about loss of data or
program reinstallations. Why be silent, if yopu know something is not
functioning?

link.net...

Old November 29th 03, 11:23 AM
Tom Scales

I'm pretty sure a D300 isn't under Dell's warranty. Perhaps whomever you
bought it from. It's used, right?

I'd guess the battery is dead, since I would also guess it is over 18 months
old.

About the life of a battery.

Tom

Old November 30th 03, 03:02 AM
Craig Dieter

Thanks to all respondents,

The unit was purchased on eBay, so you are correct, there is no warranty.
The battery is charged and functional (it will power my wife's 266MHZ CPi
for about an hour). I suspect a loose connection is the most likely
explanation.

Craig D.