AMD or Intel

Old December 7th 03, 08:36 AM
Newton Lee

Default AMD or Intel

Thinking to get a new PC. What should I get ? AMD or Intel ? AMD is cheaper
than Intel. I am worried about the heat generated by AMD. Is it still very
hot ?

Old December 7th 03, 09:57 AM
rms

I am worried about the heat generated by AMD. Is it still very
hot ?

Intel cpus produce more heat than AMD, not less.

rms

Old December 8th 03, 12:52 AM
CLF

"Newton Lee" wrote in message
Thinking to get a new PC. What should I get ? AMD or Intel ? AMD is

cheaper
than Intel. I am worried about the heat generated by AMD. Is it still

very
hot ?

Take the money you save buy getting AMD over Intel and invest it into a good
heatsink, if you're so afraid.

As long as you use an appropriate heatsink, approved by AMD, with your class
CPU and don't overclock it, then you won't run into problems.

Remember, the AMDs have the same feature as Intel where they shut off if the
heat gets too much. I believe Intel's slows down first, but I think AMD's
just shuts off. Either way, I've been running AMD Athlons without these
features for over 3 years, and never had a problem with it, so this heat
thing is more or less a silly fear. Not to mention, Intel makes more heat,
its just they have had a process in plan from the beginning that prevents
the CPU of dying.

There's no sense in makign another Intel v AMD war again, clearly there is
no winner...(dont try to say there is!)

Old December 8th 03, 02:02 AM
Robert Myers

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 00:52:25 GMT, "CLF" wrote:

snip

There's no sense in makign another Intel v AMD war again, clearly there is
no winner...(dont try to say there is!)

I used to be repelled by those spats, even more so when I got sucked
into one.

I don't want those days to come back, but people just don't seem to
have the fire in their bellies they used to, and that's not good.

I'd almost be encouraged to see a pointless knock-down, drag-out flame
war over nothing. *Then* I'd know the business was on it's way back
to health. ;-).

RM

Old December 8th 03, 08:29 AM
Oxford Systems

"Newton Lee" wrote in message
Thinking to get a new PC. What should I get ? AMD or Intel ? AMD is

cheaper than Intel.

Yup. Best bang for the buck by far. Get yourself an unlocked Barton core
XP-2500+ and go to town...

I am worried about the heat generated by AMD.

Why?

Is it still very hot ?

Well, I wouldn't use my finger for a heatsink if I were you. Intel's latest
and greatest run just as hot if not hotter...

Old December 8th 03, 02:45 PM
Tony Hill

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 08:36:04 GMT, "Newton Lee"
wrote:
Thinking to get a new PC. What should I get ? AMD or Intel ? AMD is cheaper
than Intel. I am worried about the heat generated by AMD. Is it still very
hot ?

It mostly comes down to the sort of price range you're looking at.
The chips are pretty darn comperable, but they come in with different
performance levels for different price ranges. For example, on the
low-end (bellow $150 or so), Intel has absolutely nothing to compete
with AMD. The AthlonXP 2500+ offers a tremendous bargain for most,
being a very respectable performer for a great price. Even up to
about the AthlonXP 2800+ they offer good bang for your buck. However,
the top speed Athlons are quite expensive and not much faster.

At that point you're probably better off looking for an Intel P4. The
2.4 through 2.8GHz P4 chips (and even the 3.0GHz P4) offer pretty good
value for your money in the $150-$300 price range. They perform much
better than any AMD processors in the same price range.

At the top-end, it's a bit of a toss-up. AMD's Athlon64 3200+ and
Intel's P4 3.2GHz both perform about the same and cost about the same.
The AMD chip has an advantage of having 64-bit support (not well
supported by software just yet, but that is coming), while the Intel
chip has hyperthreading (a feature that is mostly useful to improve
performance while multitasking). Neither of these chips offer very
good bang for your buck since they're both quite expensive. At the
real high-end there is the Athlon64 FX 51 chip and the P4 EE
processor, both of which are rather ridiculously priced and offer
terrible bang for your buck, but are the fastest chips out there if
you need bragging rights.

As for the heat issue, both Intel and AMD chips produce a fair bit of
heat. Right now, Intel is winning the heat producing race, with their
top-end processors pumping out up to 80W of heat or so. AMD's fastest
chips only produce about 70W of heat. Either chip can be easily
cooled though. The main problem that people used to have with AMD
chips is that they would use a dinky little heatsink and say that the
chip got really hot as compared to a P4 using a monstrous heatsink.
Fortunately now you can quite easily get a monstrous heatsink for
either chip. If buying an AMD processor, just get a heatsink that
uses an 80mm x 80mm fan. Almost all P4 heatsinks use fans of this
size, while many of the cheaper AMD heatsinks use much smaller 60mm x
60mm fans.

My only other recommendation is this. If you buy an Intel processor,
stick it on a motherboard with an Intel chipset. If you buy an AMD
processor, stick it on a motherboard with an nVidia chipset. Intel
and nVidia seem to be the only companies out there that have a handle
on how to write decent drivers. A lot of people used to complain
about stability problems with AMD-based systems because they would
stick them on motherboards with VIA chipsets, and VIA's drivers are
****-poor, hence the stability problems. These people would have the
same stability problems if they stuck the stuck an Intel chip on a
motherboard with a VIA chipset.

-------------
Tony Hill
hilla underscore 20 at yahoo dot ca
Old December 9th 03, 12:11 AM
Papa

"Robert Myers" wrote in message
On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 00:52:25 GMT, "CLF" wrote:

snip

There's no sense in makign another Intel v AMD war again, clearly there

is
no winner...(dont try to say there is!)

I used to be repelled by those spats, even more so when I got sucked
into one.

I don't want those days to come back, but people just don't seem to
have the fire in their bellies they used to, and that's not good.

I'd almost be encouraged to see a pointless knock-down, drag-out flame
war over nothing. *Then* I'd know the business was on it's way back
to health. ;-).

RM

OK, then. To make you feel better, I'll just say: Intel is CRAP!!!

And for you others: AMD SUCKS !!!