Nic Connection on Dimension 8250 Failure

Old April 2nd 04, 12:36 AM
Irish

Default Nic Connection on Dimension 8250 Failure

First, I am running Win/XP Home on both the desktop and laptop.
I decided to try again today by taking the router out of the equation. I
connected the desktop directly to the cable modem, powered both off and on
(modem first, then desktop).When I went to a command prompt and did an
ipconfig I did see a valid IP address. But, when I tried starting explorer
there was nothing, kept saying DNS server error.
I tried the same with the laptop and everything worked great!

I reconnected the desktop, still geting nothing and called isp. The tech
there checked and was able to see the modem, but not the desktop. He asked
me to try and redo TCP/IP and I followed his directions. From the command
window,
1. (Type) Netsh ip int reset resetlog.exe (enter)
2. (Type) Netsh ip int reset c:\resetlog.exe (enter)

Both times an error "could not find command" tech said first was normal,
second was not. And that I needed to go to a higher level which they do not
furnish. Which means Dell Support (sigh).

I did notice that his directions are probably wrong, the format of the Netsh
command I think should be:
Netsh int ip reset resetlog.exe

Right now I have hooked the router back up and used the laptop to configure.
I tried not cloning the MAC address but it wouldn't work till I did the
clone, don't really understand why, forgot to ask the guy about that. I also
turned MAC filtering off till I get it set up. I have to use this as I have
someone in an appartment close to my house who likes to "borrow" WiFi
connections (caught him once).

Second, there should be no requirement for any MAC address cloning by
the router to access OOL, AFICS from their web support page. Are you
sure you are not filtering MAC addresses?

Not quite sure what you mean by this, what is OOL and AFICS?

I guess my next trick will be to figure out how to remove all TCP/IP from my
machine and reinstall it without having to do a complete format/reinstall.

"Quaoar" wrote in message
news
Robert Flax wrote:
I have a Dimension 8250 and access the net via a D-Link DI-514
wireless router. My ISP is cable with dynamic access and requires MAC
address cloning. This has happened 3 times now. All of a sudden,
usually after computer has been off overnight, I can no longer access
the net. When I check using IPCONFIG it shows my IP address is gone.
I have tried to renew the IP and it says it cannot resolve the DHCP
server. I tried to reset by powering down the PC and removed power
cord, the router and the cable modem, then restarted the modem, the
router, and then the PC. I opened the router config pgm and tried to
re-run the wizard. It failed with the same cannot resolve the DHCP
server message. I tried removing the NIC (on the motherboard) and
allowing WIN/XP to find it again, then repeated the above steps, same
results. I did this several times.
Then, I plugged my laptop into the router (I usually use wireless) and
ran the router wizard to use that MAC address. Everything worked fine.
As long as I use another valid MAC address resolution can take place.
I have the feeling something is wrong with the built-in interface in
the Dimension even though the properties box shows everything is okay.

I have also tried this removing the router and just plugging directly
to the modem. Same results. Works with the Laptop, doesn't with the
Dimension.

Has anyone else ever seen this type of problem and how did you
resolve. How can I prove this is the problem and more important since
it means a motherboard replacement how do I prove it to DELL. Their
line is wipe clean and reinstall.

First, is the cable modem properly registered with OOL? The modem MAC
address is usually the only registration point for broadband. You might
call them and verify that the modem MAC is what is registered with them.

Second, there should be no requirement for any MAC address cloning by
the router to access OOL, AFICS from their web support page. Are you
sure you are not filtering MAC addresses?

I would verify these items, particularly the second. If you remove the
MAC address cloning in the router setup, reboot both the modem and
router after the modem is booted, then the computers. Automagically,
you might now have connections on both computers.

You don't mention the OS on the Dimension. It is important. I presume
WinXP.

Note that if you cannot get an IP address on the desktop, you cannot in
all likelyhood get to the router setup from the Dimension since the
config program is trying to access the router through the network
connection. Use the laptop to connect by ethernet to view the router
setup while you debug your desktop wireless connection. The first step
is to remove the MAC address cloning, reboot everything. If you have
been futzing around with the router settings, you might just reset the
router to defaults. In the router, if you have any MAC filtering for
wireless, disable it. If you have any WEP or WPA set up, disable that
on the router. Set Broadcast SSID and verify the SSID. On the desktop,
select Administrative Tools Control Panel, Services. Scroll through to
find Wireless Zero Configuration, make sure it is set to Automatic
Startup. Then, From Device Manager or network connection, select your
wireless NIC properties. In the Advanced settings, clear anything for
WEP keys and passphrase, WPA, SSID or select defaults if that is
possible. Close that. Reboot the computer.

Now verify that you either can or cannot get a connection. If not, then
Open the Wireless connection/TCP/IP properties and make sure that you
have Obtain IP address automatically, and Obtain DNS server...
automatically both toggled. On the Wireless Networks tab, select Use
Windows to configure my wireless... From the Advanced button, select
infrastructure, and uncheck Automatically connect to non-preferred
networks. Select your network/Configure button. Turn off WEP, WPA.
Close this. Do is there now a connection? If not, try Repair.

If no connection, then from a command prompt on the Dimension,
type:ipconfig[space]/all[space]C:\ipconfig.txt[enter]. The results
from ipconfig are contained in the file C:\ipconfig.txt. Open with
Notepad copy/paste the file contents here.

Old April 2nd 04, 02:23 AM
Quaoar

Irish wrote:
[...]

"Quaoar" wrote in message
news
Robert Flax wrote:
[...]

Sorry. OOL = Optimum OnLine, common shortcut. AFICS = as far as I can
see. Usenet-ese.