Mixing Wired and Wireless to Share DSL Internet Connection?

Old September 28th 04, 08:34 PM
Jay Chan

Default Mixing Wired and Wireless to Share DSL Internet Connection?

I would like to know what is a good way to share a DSL internet
connection in my house. I haven't ordered DSL yet; I will do DSL in a
week or two. The thing that I don't quite understand is how to share
the DSL internet connection in a mix of wired and wireless
connections.

Currently, I have one desktop PC and I will get another desktop PC.
They will both connected using wired Ethernet connection (I will run
wire in my house to several locations; this is not an issue). I need
the reliable high speed connection that a wired connection can provide
for streaming video; therefore, I don't want to go wireless for these
two desktop PCs. Highly likely, I will use a wired connection to share
the DSL connection between these two desktop PCs.

However, I "may" get a laptop in one year or two. Obviously if I get a
laptop, I will definitely want it to be wireless. I am wondering how
this wireless connection and the wired connection can co-exist. I
think I am better off to get wired connection for now; but make sure
the hardware that I get will be easily expanded to wireless in the
future.

Can someone provide an example of how this can be done? Any specific
hardware that I need? How do they connect to each other?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Jay Chan
Old September 28th 04, 08:55 PM
spodosaurus

Jay Chan wrote:
I would like to know what is a good way to share a DSL internet
connection in my house. I haven't ordered DSL yet; I will do DSL in a
week or two. The thing that I don't quite understand is how to share
the DSL internet connection in a mix of wired and wireless
connections.

Buy a netgear (my fav brand) router with wireless g (there's a new
technology that uses two g connections to double the bandwidth that you
might want to investigate) and a built in adsl modem. All the computers
use the router to access the Internet via the modem. Quick, easy, and
very reliable.

Currently, I have one desktop PC and I will get another desktop PC.
They will both connected using wired Ethernet connection (I will run
wire in my house to several locations; this is not an issue). I need
the reliable high speed connection that a wired connection can provide
for streaming video; therefore, I don't want to go wireless for these
two desktop PCs. Highly likely, I will use a wired connection to share
the DSL connection between these two desktop PCs.

Most netgear routers of the type I described above will have four
ethernet jacks. That will cover your needs, and you can always uplink an
8 port switch if you start running LAN parties at your place :-)

However, I "may" get a laptop in one year or two.

That's a LONG time, and technology will have moved on by then.

Obviously if I get a
laptop, I will definitely want it to be wireless. I am wondering how
this wireless connection and the wired connection can co-exist.

Before coming to the newsgroups, try doing a little research.

think I am better off to get wired connection for now; but make sure
the hardware that I get will be easily expanded to wireless in the
future.

Get a regular router with inbuilt DSL modem. Then, when/IF you decide to
add wireless devices, you can either:
1. upgrade the router to one that has the latest wireless technology, or
2. add a wireless access point to the router

Can someone provide an example of how this can be done? Any specific
hardware that I need? How do they connect to each other?

I just did, but this is all very basic information that you could have
found on your own.

Old September 28th 04, 09:38 PM
Dee

Jay Chan wrote:

[...]

Most providers will supply you with a DSL modem if you sign up for a 1
year period. The one I received was had both USB and Ethernet
connections. I bought a wireless router, connected the DSL modem via
ethernet to the router. Most have a dedicated DSL or Cable modem port
and 3 or 4 additional ethernet ports. It's best to connect at least one
computer to the router via ethernet so you can setup your wireless
channel. Right now 802.11g at 54Mbps is the going thing, but find some
really good deals on 802.11b (11Mbps) also. The slower .11b is adequate
for internet access since most DSL does not exceed 1.5Mbps and even if
they go up to 3.0 or 6.0, the .11b will still be faster than you internet.

You can find loads of information by doing a Google for "home network"

USA Today even has information in their Tech section.

Wired and wireless do co-exist. Also, look for wireless routers and
adapters with the newer WPA (Wireless Protected Access) for better security.

Old September 29th 04, 04:40 AM
pudj

"Jay Chan" wrote in message
om...
[...]

if your using a modem to connect and not a router just use network
connection wizard i connect 3 pc's in my house with no problems.

Old September 29th 04, 04:52 AM
John R Weiss

"Jay Chan" wrote...
I would like to know what is a good way to share a DSL internet
connection in my house. I haven't ordered DSL yet; I will do DSL in a
week or two. The thing that I don't quite understand is how to share
the DSL internet connection in a mix of wired and wireless
connections.

Easy.

Get a combination wired/wireless router like the Linksys WRT54GS. Wire up the
desktops now; add the laptop or other wireless computers at your leisure.

The setup is:

DSL incoming line -- DSL Modem -- Router -- computers

Old September 29th 04, 06:15 PM
Jay Chan

This is the second attempt to send this reply:
Thanks for all the people who have replied to my original post.

Seem like I am better off getting a regular wired router that has
enough ports for not only those two desktop PCs and the DSL modem, but
also has an open port for a future wireless access point. Then, I will
have everything covered.

Thanks again for the advice.

Jay Chan
Old September 30th 04, 07:03 AM
jaster

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 10:15:49 -0700, Jay Chan while doing time wrote:

This is the second attempt to send this reply:
---------------------------------------------------------------- Thanks
for all the people who have replied to my original post.

Seem like I am better off getting a regular wired router that has enough
ports for not only those two desktop PCs and the DSL modem, but also has
an open port for a future wireless access point. Then, I will have
everything covered.

Thanks again for the advice.

Jay Chan

Most wireless routers allow you to mix wired and wireless.
Two friends have a wireless routers one has a Netgear 54G connected to
cable, serving 1 wired client and 3 wireless clients. The other has cable
connection and 1 wired and 1 wireless clients.

Some wireless router come with USB network printer server
Old September 30th 04, 05:53 PM
Jay Chan

Most wireless routers allow you to mix wired and wireless.
Two friends have a wireless routers one has a Netgear 54G connected to
cable, serving 1 wired client and 3 wireless clients. The other has cable
connection and 1 wired and 1 wireless clients.

Yes, I saw something like this yesterday in the store. I have a
feeling that I cannot just use one of this wired/wireless combo. The
reason is that they are all only up to 100Mbps wired, and I am looking
for a wired 1000Mbps switch for streaming video. I probably need to
use a 1000Mbps switch and then connecting it to a wired/wireless combo
that you have suggested. Preferably, this wired/wireless combo also
has a hardware firewall feature (I cannot find any 1000Mbps switch
that has firewall feature). Then, I will have everything covered. Of
course, I still have to check the price to see if I am better off
getting a firewall alone now and then getting a wireless router later
when I really need the wireless capability. If the price difference is
small, I may as well get the firewall that comes with wireless
capability now.

I am still reviewing articles in PC Magazine to better educated myself
about this issue.

Jay Chan