Flat CMOS battery?

Old February 7th 06, 02:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

Default Flat CMOS battery?

My Mum moved house last year (Sept) and her desktop PC has been out of
use since then (about 4 - 5 months). PC is about 3 1/2 years old IIRC.

Got it back up and running yesterday and when it booted up it came it
with the BIOS setup screen and the date had been reset to something like
2002. after saving the CMOS settings and resetting the date it would
boot up, and did so ok 2-3 more times while I was there.

today she turned it on and it came up with the BIOS screen again.

Am I right in assuming the CMOS battery is lacking in charge? Do these
things recharge when it's turned on, or will it more likely need
replacing?
--
Chris French, Leeds
Old February 7th 06, 03:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

"Chris French" wrote in message
My Mum moved house last year (Sept) and her desktop PC has been out of use
since then (about 4 - 5 months). PC is about 3 1/2 years old IIRC.

snipped
Am I right in assuming the CMOS battery is lacking in charge? Do these
things recharge when it's turned on, or will it more likely need
replacing?

Sounds very likely Chris. If it`s a standard disc type battery, you can
get them in ASDA or Tesco now, on their battery displays.

--
bw..OJ

Old February 7th 06, 03:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

today she turned it on and it came up with the BIOS screen again.

Am I right in assuming the CMOS battery is lacking in charge? Do these
things recharge when it's turned on, or will it more likely need
replacing?

Very few PC's have every actually recharged the CMOS battery, and that was
years ago.

Just take the battery to your local battery shop. It should be a common
replacement.

Old February 8th 06, 09:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

In message _b2Gf.354982$tl.207063@pd7tw3no, Noozer
writes
today she turned it on and it came up with the BIOS screen again.

Am I right in assuming the CMOS battery is lacking in charge? Do these
things recharge when it's turned on, or will it more likely need
replacing?

Very few PC's have every actually recharged the CMOS battery, and that was
years ago.

Just take the battery to your local battery shop. It should be a common
replacement.

Ok, thanks for the confirmation.
--
Chris French, Leeds
Old February 8th 06, 10:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

On Tue, 7 Feb 2006 13:55:22 +0000 One man come in the name of truth
Chris French sent this :

My Mum moved house last year (Sept) and her desktop PC has been out of
use since then (about 4 - 5 months). PC is about 3 1/2 years old IIRC.

Got it back up and running yesterday and when it booted up it came it
with the BIOS setup screen and the date had been reset to something like
2002. after saving the CMOS settings and resetting the date it would
boot up, and did so ok 2-3 more times while I was there.

today she turned it on and it came up with the BIOS screen again.

Am I right in assuming the CMOS battery is lacking in charge? Do these
things recharge when it's turned on, or will it more likely need
replacing?

Yes they do re-charge.There is a residual current applied across the
CMOS to keep the battery healthy.This can be checked using a
Multi-meter.As these batteries are,"Lithium"based they can handle a
certain amount of re-charging.However if the unit has been stored
there is a dis-charge point after usage where they may not be
re-charged.

They are cheap to replace.

HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...m?bandID=88558

Old February 13th 06, 01:30 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

Will mention my saga.
The hard drive would'nt boot, "Disc failure Please insert
disk" was all I got apart from the POST bios beep as if the HDD
was duff or OS corrupted.

Would'nt let me do a restore, re-pair in stall or I complete format,
trying another HDD was still same. I re-booted bios and all was well,
the HDD was asking for the CD so that it could install the 2nd half of
the installation.

I replaced the bios battery the old one being down to 2.5V.. Note:
never use a analogue meter to measure these or they'll soon be 'flat'
always use a digital meter as they have a high-input impedance.

I did a complete reformat after changing the bios battery - just
incase of any corrupted data.

Now the reason for the story.
All the bios settings was OK and normal except the 5V 30Amp supply
which was reading 4.3V (some drop for a 30 Amp rail), the time and
date being OK, a bios reboot and a battery change brought the 5V rail
back to normal along with HDD boot....!

I would have thought the bios would have 'locked up or reverted back
to the default settings but it did'nt.

All in all I did not need to do a re format

Davy

CMOS Battery Wierdness? clintonG General 11 November 21st 05 10:35 PM
CMOS Battery for Inspiron 3000 [email protected] Dell Computers 3 February 2nd 05 05:57 PM
CMOS Battery Retainer MH General 2 January 12th 04 12:38 AM
Changing a cmos battery Rich General Hardware 2 December 17th 03 04:46 PM
Can the cmos battery in the dell latitude C600 series be easily replaced by the user? Bob Campbell Dell Computers 2 December 7th 03 02:47 PM