Dvorak Likes Linux

Old March 16th 09, 10:13 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Jerry Peters

Default Dvorak Likes Linux

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips YKhan wrote:
On Mar 15, 2:23*pm, Jan Panteltje wrote:
Totally wrong.
People buy digital cameras, they want to access those from the laptop,
maybe edit the video on it too.
Same for audio devices, headphones via USB, cardreaders for other formats,
Install new codecs, new webbrowser versions (security upgrades appear
every day), other adaptors...
There is no limit.
My advice to those, unless you are a nerd and are good in C and a few other
computer languages, and have thousands of hours time,
* * * * * * do NOT but a Linux version, buy Xp.

Most digital cameras these days simply act as standard USB mass
storage devices. No problem. Editing them isn't a problem either.

Yousuf Khan

Some do, some don't. My dad's Olympus doesn't. I have to transfer
pictures via an SD card.

Jerry
Old March 16th 09, 10:57 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
krw[_5_]

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 22:13:07 GMT, Jerry Peters
wrote:

[...]

Don't know if my Olympus does or doesn't. Popping the XD card into my
ThinkPad is simpler than finding the cable. ;-)
Old March 17th 09, 02:41 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
chrisv

Jan Panteltje wrote:

But I also want to make VERY CLEAR that Linux is getting just as bloated as MS.

Some versions of Linux may rival XP, in terms of bloat. None rival
Vista, that I'm aware of.

There are "leaner and meaner" versions of Linux, if that's important
to you. Linux is all about choice.

www.distrowatch.com

Old March 17th 09, 03:38 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Jan Panteltje

Default Linux SUCKS for the masses, or any gadget you want to try.

On a sunny day (Tue, 17 Mar 2009 09:41:07 -0500) it happened chrisv
wrote in :

Jan Panteltje wrote:

But I also want to make VERY CLEAR that Linux is getting just as bloated as MS.

Some versions of Linux may rival XP, in terms of bloat. None rival
Vista, that I'm aware of.

I have never used Vista, so... and it clearly flopped in the market place.
It is an other clear proof that people want functionality, not restrictions,
they want - imagine selling a huge car with locks on every door, seat, control button,
even on the airco, that uses huge amounts of fuel and goes no
faster then 50 mp/h because of electronic controls 'for your safety'.
Nobody would buy it... MS must have been deluted, or guided by NSA, to come
up with such a product.

There are "leaner and meaner" versions of Linux, if that's important
to you.

I know, no I want my stuff to work, and immediately, and all the nice programs
that come with it too.

Linux is all about choice.

No it is not, you have no choice, and not a single install CD with nice programs that come with
all the gadgets runs on it.
You are required to write your own apps, as that is less work then reading through 100 manpages
that are incomplete and outdated anyways, googling through 100 wikis that are also incomplete and outdated anyways,
rebooting your computer as I just had to do because ALSA hung with a DMA error repeating a fragment
endlessly, yes there was a warning that you needed to patch that kernel for this version of bluez
(bluetooth), so I did, and actually now recompiled it 3 times for that **** bluetooth crap,
So writing from scratch a multitasking OS for a limited amount of apps is FASTER.

www.distrowatch.com

???

Things move, I installed Puppee(?) Linux on a 1GB SDcard some time ago, so I can boot the eeePC701 from that SD card.
Copied the internal FLASH with Xandros Linux on it to a 4GB USB stick from Puppee Linux, so I have backup of all the
work I did to that system.
Now I can go buy a OEM version of Xp to put on it.
The shop should sell me one as I bought the thing there...
Say it is 100$, now how many hours can *you* work for 100$?
Linux is for nerds who are good at C, and some other computer languages, and have thousand
of hours of time.
Or for professional systems.
Linux is _not_ for the masses.
The OS, and the philosophy behind it, never was for the masses, neither is 'compiling from source'.
neither is anything in Linux ever stable or the same.
After downloading the latest bluez a few days ago a new version is already on the site.
And take that from a real Linux developer, me.
I have NEVER seen Unix as 'for the masses', and the idiots who tried to imitate the MS user interface
with kde and gnome made it a big mess, as nutter developers link against that crap,
forcing you to install more bloat where a simple command line or xlib based solution will do.
Or xforms, to keep it small.

Old March 17th 09, 06:13 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
chrisv

Default Ignorant, anti-Linux trolls SUCK

Jan Panteltje wrote:

Linux is all about choice.

No it is not,

Yes, it is.

(snip ignorance, lies, idiocy, etc.)

For anyone following, I suggest downloading a Linux .iso for a
"LiveCD", and trying it yourself.

The LiveCD's boot and run from CD, not touching the HD at all, making
for a risk- free trial. Install to a spare HD for the full
experience.

See for yourself if you "have to write your own apps", or if that is a
lie and the reality is that most Linux distributions come loaded the
free and high-quality apps, like the MS-Office compatible Open Office,
with many more applications freely and easily installable.

I recommend Ubuntu, PCLinuxOS, and Mepis.

Old March 17th 09, 07:02 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Jan Panteltje

Default Linux is only for the diehard programmer, geek, computer nerd, with thousands of hours of spare time, who is good in C and a few other languages.

On a sunny day (Tue, 17 Mar 2009 13:13:06 -0500) it happened chrisv
wrote in :

Jan Panteltje wrote:

Linux is all about choice.

No it is not,

Yes, it is.

(snip ignorance, lies, idiocy, etc.)

You are just insulting because you know nothing about the subject,
and likely NEVER contributed anything in the form of programs.

For anyone following, I suggest downloading a Linux .iso for a
"LiveCD", and trying it yourself.

For everyone reading, the 'CDs' with some versions of Linux,
very often do not even support your hardware,
and run slow as hell, and as such are not usable for anything.

The LiveCD's boot and run from CD, not touching the HD at all, making
for a risk- free trial. Install to a spare HD for the full
experience.

No experience there, as you cannot do anything.

See for yourself if you "have to write your own apps", or if that is a
lie and the reality is that most Linux distributions come loaded the
free and high-quality apps, like the MS-Office compatible Open Office,
with many more applications freely and easily installable.

Sure, but all I wanted was my Nokia bluetooth headset working
with Skype, a good video editor for my movies, and being able
to register my Canon online.
To use the software that comes with my gadgets, that has all Win Xp and
Vista stuff on Cds, and none of that goes.
A spreadsheet (open - or star office) plus a few hard to learn blurb things is nothing new.

I recommend Ubuntu, PCLinuxOS, and Mepis.

I recommend you have your brain inspected.
For people who do not have zillions of hours to waste on incompatibility, they should just install
Xp, or get a Mac.

For the diehard write your own, as I am, even the today's Linux is a bit too much crap.

In case you have any doubt who is the real developer here, just visit
http://panteltje.com/panteltje/newsflex/download.html

So, and to you (with whatever your agenda is, and whoever pays you),
now show me your contribution to open source.
That WORKS.
Anonymous asshole.

Old March 17th 09, 09:17 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Robert Myers

wrote in :

Jan Panteltje wrote:

[...]

It might be fair to ask Mr. Paneltje's priorities. I have a really
hard time imagining what they could be.

Linux really isn't a suitable general-purpose desktop system, and I
can't imagine that it ever will be. On the other hand, Windows isn't
an attractive environment for other kinds of tasks. HPC is going to
be dominated by Linux now and for the foreseeable future, as far as I
can tell.

Some of us would like to be working on bare metal, or as close as we
can get. Virtualization opens up all kinds of interesting
possibilities. One might actually contemplate writing an "operating
system," even though it would never support a webcam. No problem,
Windows can be running on another virtual machine.

If the open source community didn't exist, one could not even
contemplate these possibilities. Or, rather, the game would be owned
entirely by the bomb labs.

Robert.

Old March 18th 09, 03:06 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
chrisv

Robert Myers wrote:

Linux really isn't a suitable general-purpose desktop system,

Err... For large segments of the market, it certainly is. And I
don't mean the "geek" segment. I mean those who want secure PC
functionality for the Internet and document handling. On the other
hand, if you need special Windows-only apps like Quicken or Zombie
Slaughter III, you might want to stay with Windows.

and I can't imagine that it ever will be.

Your imagination is quite limited.

Old March 18th 09, 03:19 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
chrisv

Jan Panteltje wrote:

For anyone following, I suggest downloading a Linux .iso for a
"LiveCD", and trying it yourself.

For everyone reading, the 'CDs' with some versions of Linux,
very often do not even support your hardware,

They support essentially the same hardware as installing it would,
troll. That's what makes them such a great tool, allowing a risk-free
trial of how well that particular Linux distro works with your
particular hardware. One can even try it on PC's in a store, to test
their Linux-compatibility.

and run slow as hell,

Slower than a full install to HD, obviously, but fast-enough to give a
taste of how well it works.

Many will be amazed at how friendly some of these new Linux distros
like PCLinuxOS and Mepis are. Even running off the LiveCD, music
plays, and youtube videos work. Everything most people need is right
there.

(snip more lies and idiocy)

Old March 18th 09, 05:03 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Robert Myers

On Mar 18, 11:06*am, chrisv wrote:
Robert Myers wrote:
Linux really isn't a suitable general-purpose desktop system,

Err... *For large segments of the market, it certainly is. *And I
don't mean the "geek" segment. *I mean those who want secure PC
functionality for the Internet and document handling.

Many people would be better off doing some and perhaps the most common
tasks from Linux. Many people would be better off it they *had* to
use Linux all the time. Neither of those statements makes Linux
suitable as a general purpose desktop operating system.

*On the other
hand, if you need special Windows-only apps like Quicken or Zombie
Slaughter III, you might want to stay with Windows.

and I can't imagine that it ever will be. *

Your imagination is quite limited.

You have no idea how unintentionally funny you are being.

Two of these groups are hardware groups, so an extended tussle over
windows vs. linux is really off-topic.

Robert.

smh likes fat chicks! Justin Cdr 0 May 25th 06 03:55 PM
Making a Hard-Wired Dvorak Keyboard. [email protected] Homebuilt PC's 1 April 6th 06 09:01 PM
LINDA WEST (925) 876-7441 of CHIPMAN UNITED VAN LINES likes to commit Fraud & Forgery and she likes to put peoples names on moving contracts with out there Knowledge.Caton Mayflower Moving & Storage Dublin,ca & concord,ca (925) 876-7441, 925-887-5515 [email protected] General 0 October 11th 05 08:17 AM
New 512MB memory only likes slot 1? Tom General 1 January 23rd 05 11:36 PM
I would like help with a problem with my PC - reboots when it likes Sharon Asus Motherboards 2 June 28th 04 05:57 AM