laptop purchase

Old December 19th 12, 12:58 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Larry[_12_]

Default laptop purchase

On Dec 18, 5:18*pm, BillW50 wrote:
On 12/18/2012 2:24 PM, Ron Hardin wrote:

Larry wrote:

On Dec 18, 6:07 am, Ron *wrote:
My preference for (small business) outlet stores is keep sending it in for
repair until it works. *It eventually will. *(rather than returning it for
refund).

You get the additional pleasure of diagnosing it yourself.

The buy experience on both these laptops was more of a headache than a
feeling of pleasure.

We only buy particularly good deals, pricewise; so they're worth getting working,
which helps with the pleasure angle.

But there's also interesting detective work.

Like for instance they most like pass the Dell diagnostics, so you have to look for
things that Dell doesn't test.

A common one is the video card as windows uses it. *See if the thing stays up in
safe mode with networking, which doesn't really turn on the video card. *We had a
couple we diagnosed correctly that way.

Having diagnosed it, you have to get the depot to replace the motherboard, which
may take a few iterations back and forth, at Dell's expense. *Amazing to tell, when
they finally do replace the MB, the problem is solved.

Be polite but don't give in.

Oh man! Don't I know this all too well. Things were far easier when
customer support was manned by real engineers back in the 70's and 80's.
Nowadays you have to jump through a lot of hoops for the same thing. :-(

--
Bill
Dell Latitute Slate Tablet 128GB SSD ('12 era) - Thunderbird v12

I think you are right, however my experience with Dell service only
goes back to the late 80s. The support personnel seem much younger
and less experienced (or seasoned) than even was the case several
years ago.

On my recent purchase I decided to pay extra and try out the
"prosupport".

Larry

Old January 2nd 13, 08:52 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Justin[_18_]

On 12/17/2012 1:50 PM, RnR wrote:
I haven't kept up with the Dell laptops lately. My daughter wants to
replace her Dell laptop with a new one but wants a decent video card
in it. I don't know her budget but I'm guessing $700 or less.
Personally I'd prefer her to have windows 7 on this new laptop but she
may not care. Any suggestions or suggestions from the Dell outlet
store?

Get her a Mac - Windows 8 is utter ****.
Old January 3rd 13, 10:17 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
dg1261

Justin wrote in :

On 12/17/2012 1:50 PM, RnR wrote:
I haven't kept up with the Dell laptops lately. My daughter wants to
replace her Dell laptop with a new one but wants a decent video card
in it. I don't know her budget but I'm guessing $700 or less.
Personally I'd prefer her to have windows 7 on this new laptop but she
may not care. Any suggestions or suggestions from the Dell outlet
store?

Get her a Mac - Windows 8 is utter ****.

iOS is no better.

And if you're going to dispense useless advice, at least tell the OP where
he can find a Mac laptop for $700.

Old January 3rd 13, 09:17 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Justin[_18_]

On 1/3/2013 5:17 AM, dg1261 wrote:
wrote in :

On 12/17/2012 1:50 PM, RnR wrote:
I haven't kept up with the Dell laptops lately. My daughter wants to
replace her Dell laptop with a new one but wants a decent video card
in it. I don't know her budget but I'm guessing $700 or less.
Personally I'd prefer her to have windows 7 on this new laptop but she
may not care. Any suggestions or suggestions from the Dell outlet
store?

Get her a Mac - Windows 8 is utter ****.

iOS is no better.

And if you're going to dispense useless advice, at least tell the OP where
he can find a Mac laptop for $700.

I got a 13" refurb off Apple's site wasn't much more than $700. You
have to jump on it though.

new laptop purchase Observer Dell Computers 8 July 22nd 12 06:22 AM
Laptop purchase UK Computer Vendors 4 June 29th 06 08:18 PM
Help with laptop purchase gardenia Dell Computers 3 July 17th 04 11:37 AM
Laptop Purchase? Si UK Computer Vendors 16 February 22nd 04 11:22 PM
Laptop Purchase wendy Dell Computers 3 January 6th 04 07:28 AM