Green specs like static on monitor (hdmi cable of hz)?

Old January 5th 10, 08:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Albert

Default Green specs like static on monitor (hdmi cable of hz)?

I have a new monitor I plugged into a computer via a 25 foot HDMI
cable. I am managing to see some green specs when the screen is black
(like static), and when using Windows you can see some lines
flickering. Another fact is that this new monitor is connected to an
older video card which is only allowing me to run in 1920 x 1080 mode
at 60Hz, not other Hz levels.

Would you expect this is due to me using a 25' HDMI cable or more
likely that if I have a nicer video card it will allow me to run at a
wider variety of Hz ratings, and thus avoiding this static situation?
Old January 5th 10, 09:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
GlowingBlueMist[_6_]

Albert wrote:
I have a new monitor I plugged into a computer via a 25 foot HDMI
cable. I am managing to see some green specs when the screen is black
(like static), and when using Windows you can see some lines
flickering. Another fact is that this new monitor is connected to an
older video card which is only allowing me to run in 1920 x 1080 mode
at 60Hz, not other Hz levels.

Would you expect this is due to me using a 25' HDMI cable or more
likely that if I have a nicer video card it will allow me to run at a
wider variety of Hz ratings, and thus avoiding this static situation?

HDMI standards allow for up to 32 feet of cable length so that is not the
problem, but a cheaply made cable can cause this problem, regardless of
length.

You might get better output from a newer interface card but I would first
try temporarily moving the monitor close the computer and trying a 6 foot or
shorter cable and see what happens. If all your problems go away you either
need a better (long) cable or use another technology to remote your monitor.
A HDMI extender or possibly a KVM switch with HDMI capabilities might be a
better choice, but possibly at a higher price. Then again a "good" long
HDMI cable can be expensive as well.

Old January 9th 10, 04:35 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Jan 5, 3:52 pm, Albert wrote:
I have a new monitor I plugged into a computer via a 25 foot HDMI
cable. I am managing to see some green specs when the screen is black
(like static), and when using Windows you can see some lines
flickering. Another fact is that this new monitor is connected to an
older video card which is only allowing me to run in 1920 x 1080 mode
at 60Hz, not other Hz levels.

Would you expect this is due to me using a 25' HDMI cable or more
likely that if I have a nicer video card it will allow me to run at a
wider variety of Hz ratings, and thus avoiding this static situation?

Last time I got that, (red not green specs), on this other 32" Olevia
I replaced, they had me on the carpet floor with their 32"
disassembled, (face down, on top a blanket), replacing parts they'd
shipped. My mouth with Olevia's (Syntax) tech support. Then someone
in Olevia's non-tech, customer service dept told me how a warranty
(really) works, and shipped me a free replacement (newer model).
Still typing on it now, 4 years later.

I'd suggest you get a known quality cable, another known good monitor,
and first check your LCD isn't headed into trash.

HDMI Cable Martin Racette General 5 November 11th 09 08:50 PM
S/PDIF cable to connect to 9600GT HDMI port smlunatick Nvidia Videocards 4 September 21st 08 04:49 PM
New theory/story: Static discharge while connecting usb cable from digital camera. Skybuck The Destroyer Asus Motherboards 7 June 3rd 07 10:51 PM
HDMI cable in place of DMI? Bobby General 3 August 22nd 06 08:44 PM
PC audio onto HDMI cable? Noozer General 0 March 10th 05 04:20 AM