Slow Computer

Old January 4th 10, 06:16 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
irfan williams

Default Slow Computer

I understand that this group is for home built PCs...so you are the
experts.
I hope no one will be offended that I posted here.

Please help me with this issue.

I bought an Acer Aspire 6 cell Netbook (Window XP I believe) a few
months ago . It ran great for a few months. Now it is vey slow.

I did the following:

1. Did a run
misconfig
and deselected the programs I did not want.

( I get an error window that says:
An access denied error was returned while attempting to change a
service...
but yet it seems to deselect the software)

2. Opened Chrome and Mozilla / Firefox and cleared history, cache
etc.

But it is still very slow.

I have not added /downloaded any software to the netbook nor changed
anything.

Can anyone please suggest what I should next ?

Thanks in advance for your input,

Irfan Williams
Old January 4th 10, 10:55 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
SteveH

irfan williams wrote:
[...]

Have you checked for viruses/spyware/malware?
I'd be running Spybot, Malwarebytes and possibly SuperAntiSpyware for
starters.
But first, install and run Crap Cleaner.

--
SteveH

Old January 4th 10, 09:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
shegeek72[_2_]

I agree with Steve in running a cleaner program like CCleaner or use
windows disk cleaner, and run a registry cleaner. Also, if you haven't
done so already check your harddrive(s) space to make sure you enough
free space. Uncheck indexing for your HD(s) and run defrag if you
haven't recently. Hit ctrl/alt/del to bring up the task manager and
check what applications (if any) are running, then look at processes
to see if there's anything you missed that may be running.

Old January 6th 10, 03:52 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bug Dout

irfan williams writes:

I bought an Acer Aspire 6 cell Netbook (Window XP I believe) a few
months ago .

From Woot by chance? I'm typing on mine right now.

It ran great for a few months. Now it is vey slow.

Sounds every bit like a virus or malware, possibly a nearly full
HD. Registry cleaners won't help here and can easily do more harm than
good.

Have a friend make a boot USB flash drive for you with XP and a good
virus/malware checker. Plug this in and boot from it (the correct key
will show on boot as usual). Booting from the flash drive will not
start all the viruses or malware, and serve two purposes:

* you can see how your netbook runs now with a fresh OS; probably pretty
fast like before
* you can run the virus/malware checker on your C: drive with the
crapola not activated and trying to defeat the antivirus software.

Or, just reformat and put Win7 on it, it works great. Run MS Security
Essentials, finally MS does something good.

--
I saw a woman wearing a sweatshirt with 'Guess' on it. I said, Thyroid
problem?

computer seems slow Adam Russell General 8 December 4th 06 06:38 PM
How to slow a computer down [email protected] Homebuilt PC's 3 September 16th 05 11:32 PM
slow computer Mark Dunn Gateway Computers 7 February 21st 04 10:14 PM
computer slow Yvon Dell Computers 11 December 14th 03 10:00 PM
Really Slow Computer, Why? Mulligan General 6 November 19th 03 02:32 AM