thoughts on server / storage virtualization

Old April 25th 07, 09:13 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
ShawnK

Default thoughts on server / storage virtualization

Hey Everyone -

I'm working on a presentation on virtualization in the enterprise for
my team. I was wondering if any of you would mind offering some
personal insight / experiences with either server or storage
virtualization (or both). What I'm really looking for are where and
how server / storage virtualization is being used in the enterprise.
What are some of the pros and cons about server / storage
virtualization? Since implementing virtualization into your
environment has been proving to provide what was promised?

I really appreciate any and all input offered!

Regards -
Shawn Kelley

Old April 27th 07, 09:13 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Faeandar

On 25 Apr 2007 13:13:22 -0700, ShawnK wrote:

Hey Everyone -

I'm working on a presentation on virtualization in the enterprise for
my team. I was wondering if any of you would mind offering some
personal insight / experiences with either server or storage
virtualization (or both). What I'm really looking for are where and
how server / storage virtualization is being used in the enterprise.
What are some of the pros and cons about server / storage
virtualization? Since implementing virtualization into your
environment has been proving to provide what was promised?

I really appreciate any and all input offered!

Regards -
Shawn Kelley

Apparently no one here has done virtualization....=)

For storage, I shy away from any virtualization that is done other
than at the controller/head level. So, for instance, I am fine with
Xiotech, 3Par, and Compellant doing their massive disk striping
virtualization but any further up the chain and I get nervous.

Examples of further up the chain are Rainstorage and Acopia. I like
Acopia's approach and if/when I go down that road they may be the
one's I pick but for now the technology is still to raw for my data.

~F