Motherboard ID

Old May 7th 06, 02:17 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000

Default Motherboard ID

I just came into possession of a Performance 730 with the Fedora board
version 4000622. Is it true that this board will not support Tualatin
processors? Therefore, is best CPU I can use on this the PIII 1.13Ghz,
will it support it? If someone can point me to a detailed manual for
this board.

Also, this is the first Gateway I have had. I've been impressed by the
support forums with previous Dell and HP products at their site, but I
can't seem to find a similar forum at the Gateway site. Do they have
support forums for and by users at that site, or is this the place?

THANKS

Old May 10th 06, 04:44 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000

According to Anandtech, the B-stepping of the 815 chipset does support
tualatin processors, so I would not rule out that the processor might
work fine but that the configuration is just not officially supported
but Gateway.
Also, there are adapters by Powerleap and Upgradeware and Lin Lin that
will let you put a tualatin on most any of the later boards that support
faster coppermines. The adapter has the advantage of letting you fool
the motherboard into overclocking a 100 mHz tualatin celeron to run at
133 mHz which usually works very well up to about 1.3 gHz or so.

Old May 10th 06, 07:16 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000

I have one of those Lin Lin adapters. I guess the next step is to
identify the VRM of the board. There is an IC, usually located near
the toroid, that controls voltage, if it is compliant with at least
VRM8.4, then I'm in business. VRM8.5 was developed for the Tualatin,
but I have found that VRMs complying with 8.4 (down to 1.3VDC) will
work. This site is the place to go once the IC is identified to see
what standard is complied with: http://www.alldatasheet.co.kr/.