USB flash card reader jams up

Old August 22nd 03, 07:31 PM
larrymoencurly

Default USB flash card reader jams up

I have Belkin and PQI USB 1.1 flash card readers that get stuck if I
try to copy more than about 20MB of files to it, but only if the USB
port uses a VIA chip. It doesn't matter whether the VIA chip is USB
1.1 or 2.0. Upgrading the VIA USB filter and IRQ steering didn't
help, but I was unable to upgrade to PQI's latest flash reader driver.
The problem seems to occur ony when I try to copy several files -- I
can copy a couple of 10-20 meg files without problem.

One of the mobos is an ECS K7S5A Pro, and I'm not using PCI slot #1
for anything (ECS says this slot interferes with USB 2.0). This mobo
also has USB 1.1 ports handled by an SiS chip, which works fine with
the flash readers.

I have no problems using these flash card readers with other USB
ports, including OPTi, Lucent, Intel, and NEC. It's only VIA USB
ports, whether they're on PCI cards or built into the motherboard,
that fail on writes.

Is there a driver program that can get around this VIA deficiency? I
can't just install non-VIA USB cards because that would mean changing
a lot of computers, plus some of them are laptops.
Old August 22nd 03, 08:02 PM
Shep©

On 22 Aug 2003 11:31:45 -0700, In this world we created
(larrymoencurly) wrote :

[...]

Bloody Via!
try here,
http://www.usbman.com/Troubleshooter%20General.htm
http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=3

--
Free Windows/PC help,
Free songs download,

New Belkin USB card conflicting Martin Lambert General 1 August 20th 03 08:35 AM
Santa Cruz Sound Card Davek General 0 August 17th 03 10:33 PM
Replacing AGP card prevents boot Vanguard General 0 August 10th 03 01:52 AM
newbie: TV card Groove General 3 July 29th 03 10:58 PM
Help with WinFast TV 2000 XP Tuner Card Joshua Klehm General 1 June 24th 03 10:52 PM