modem problem

Old May 22nd 04, 09:55 PM
minerva nine

Default modem problem

Greetings, all -- utter novice here. I have a Dell Dimension 700 w/ an
internal USR 56K modem, running Win98. I have never been able to get the
modem to connect at a speed higher than 168000 bps, even though it's a 56K
modem. I know one never gets a true 56K connection, but I would think I
could at least get 40K. I've tested my phone line by connecting thru the
same jack with another computer (signed on easily at 50K bps), and the
configuration settings for the modem are set to my ISP's preferences
correctly. I've tried several of the most common INIT strings, with no
luck. Is my modem just dying? Or is there some configuration variable that
I'm overlooking? The ports are set to maximum bps of 115K, there are no
conflicts shown in device manager, and port and IRQ settings are to standard
default parameters. The laptop is set up with Win 98 also, and all the
networking settings are identical to this machine, but it's a different type
of modem (Win LT fax modem(?) I think). I've always heard that USR modems
are pretty reliable -- however this one may be a couple of years old, so
it's possible that it's wearing out. However, I don't want to go buy
another one if there's something simple that I'm overlooking, and especially
if the problem isn't the modem. Any ideas? Thanks -- M9

Old May 22nd 04, 10:39 PM
kony

On Sat, 22 May 2004 15:55:57 -0500, "minerva nine"
wrote:

Greetings, all -- utter novice here. I have a Dell Dimension 700 w/ an
internal USR 56K modem, running Win98. I have never been able to get the
modem to connect at a speed higher than 168000 bps, even though it's a 56K
modem.

56K is 57,344 bps. If you're getting 168,000 bps, which seems impossible,
you're golden.

I know one never gets a true 56K connection, but I would think I
could at least get 40K.

Unless your provider's line has "X2" support, OR unless you upgraded the
firmware to support V.90, you should never exceed 28,800. In other words,
if you haven't applied the V.90 firmware upgrade, do so... might be
available via google search or maybe still on 3Com or Dell website.

Then again, maybe I'm thinking of the old USR ISA modems, is yours ISA or
PCI? If PCI, there may be a good chance it's a winmodem, and if so then
try a newer driver, possibly available from Dell but best driver might be
from 3Com or a modem driver oriented website.

I've tested my phone line by connecting thru the
same jack with another computer (signed on easily at 50K bps), and the
configuration settings for the modem are set to my ISP's preferences
correctly. I've tried several of the most common INIT strings, with no
luck. Is my modem just dying?

Very doubtful, it'd just cease to work, not run slower, except that it is
possible for a winmodem to run very slow with an incorrect driver...
usually they won't work at all but I've seen some drivers work but
extremely slowly... different chipset and make of modem though.

Or is there some configuration variable that
I'm overlooking?

If you check the modem properties (in Device Manager or Network
Configuration, I forget where in Win98) it will show supported protocols.

The ports are set to maximum bps of 115K,

Yes, but you're talking about your onboard COM ports, right? It isn't
connected to an onboard COM port since it's not an external modem. Those
settings aren't relevant to your modem.

there are no
conflicts shown in device manager, and port and IRQ settings are to standard
default parameters. The laptop is set up with Win 98 also, and all the
networking settings are identical to this machine, but it's a different type
of modem (Win LT fax modem(?) I think). I've always heard that USR modems
are pretty reliable -- however this one may be a couple of years old, so
it's possible that it's wearing out. However, I don't want to go buy
another one if there's something simple that I'm overlooking, and especially
if the problem isn't the modem. Any ideas? Thanks -- M9

So this modem was always performing poorly, is original modem in same PCI
slot, using same driver, the Dell factory OS installation or not, etc, or
???

Old May 22nd 04, 10:40 PM
DaveW

It sounds like you may be some distance away from your local telephone
switching office. Long distances will cause slow transfer speeds over
modems.

--
DaveW

Old May 23rd 04, 01:26 AM
Shep©

On Sat, 22 May 2004 15:55:57 -0500 As another one bit the dust
"minerva nine" wrote :

[...]

Crap modem :/

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de
Old May 23rd 04, 11:10 PM
Bennett Price

Before V.90 became an official standard there was another 56KB
unofficial standard, K56 flex. ISPs set up different modem pools (phone
nos) to support the two types. It may just be that the type of modem
you've got is dialing to the opposite type. Check your ISP's list of
dial up nos to see whether there's another phone # you can try. If you
are connecting to the wrong # you won't get an attempt at 56K.

Old May 24th 04, 01:01 AM
minerva nine

Did that already -- they only have a single dial-in line (small local ISP).
However, that brings to mind a possibility... this modem may be a couple
years old, and my ISP is notoriously up to date. If they have upgraded
their modem settings, and I'm dialing in on an older modem, would that cause
problems? Seems to me it wouldn't make sense for the dial-in parameters to
exclude older modems, but people do all kinds of crazy stuff these days....

M9

Old May 24th 04, 01:03 AM
minerva nine

If that were the case, I wouldn't be able to log on at 50K from my laptop
thru the same jack, would I? It uses a modem, albeit a different kind. --
M9

Old May 24th 04, 04:02 PM
Bennett Price

If your modem is K56 flex and they are V.90 only, that's the problem.
Their modems might not be dual-protocol and thus they don't recognize
your K56 (if that's what you have) as a 56K modem. If you can't find
specs on your modem, ask your ISP what types they support; if both, the
problem lies elsewhere.

Old May 27th 04, 08:11 AM
Big Mac

"minerva nine" wrote:

Er, I meant 16,800. Sorry. -- M9

.. .
wrote:

Greetings, all -- utter novice here. I have a Dell Dimension 700 w/ an
internal USR 56K modem, running Win98. I have never been able to get the
modem to connect at a speed higher than 168000 bps, even though it's a

56K
modem.

I think you are dealing with what was going on way back when. There
probably was no standard set for 56 Kbps. It was a 56 Kbps modem only
with other USRs running the same proprietary connection type.

However, I think you should be getting 28 Kbps (28000 bps) and not the
16800 you say. In any case, you need to get a v90 modem (or v92). Or
if the was some kind of fix for the USR that came later, you need
that.

But $10 for a 56 kbps internal is all you should pay nowadays. I've
even seen sales a couple of times that with a rebate you pay $0.

Big Mac

This problem has baffled everyone... Nick G General 46 May 22nd 04 04:01 AM
Modem problem? Sean Rife General 8 January 14th 04 01:23 PM
Modem - dial tone broken up, but voice ok Zardoz General 1 January 5th 04 03:06 AM
Cable modem problem [email protected] General 1 September 25th 03 09:16 AM
Dial up modem problem Richard Freeman General 21 September 22nd 03 05:50 AM