Dead RAM

Old April 28th 04, 10:02 PM
Mitchua

David B. wrote:

Depends on the O/S, Run Memtest.

Here's the link for you http://www.memtest86.com/
Old April 28th 04, 11:59 PM
Midnight Moocher

Default Dead RAM

What are the tell-tale signs of RAM break-down?

Old April 29th 04, 12:20 AM
David B.

Old April 29th 04, 12:29 AM
~misfit~

Midnight Moocher wrote:
What are the tell-tale signs of RAM break-down?

Crying unexpectedly, peroids of being really quiet, sitting in the corner
rocking to and fro and drinking alcohol.
--
~misfit~

Old April 29th 04, 12:53 AM
Midnight Moocher

Midnight Moocher wrote:
What are the tell-tale signs of RAM break-down?

Crying unexpectedly, peroids of being really quiet, sitting in the corner
rocking to and fro and drinking alcohol.
--
~misfit~

Lol, but seriously, how would it effect applications running in say, Windows.

Would I be correct in saying there would be a major slow down in all aspects.Would the system rely on the swamp file, thus
considerably reducing speed due to use of the hard drive?

Old April 29th 04, 01:16 AM
half_pint

"Midnight Moocher" wrote in message
What are the tell-tale signs of RAM break-down?

Constant bleating, pulling out their own wool, aggression towards other
farmyard animals.

Old April 29th 04, 01:38 AM
JT

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 00:53:31 +0100, "Midnight Moocher"
wrote:

Midnight Moocher wrote:
What are the tell-tale signs of RAM break-down?

Crying unexpectedly, peroids of being really quiet, sitting in the corner
rocking to and fro and drinking alcohol.
--
~misfit~

Lol, but seriously, how would it effect applications running in say, Windows.

Would I be correct in saying there would be a major slow down in all aspects.Would the system rely on the swamp file, thus
considerably reducing speed due to use of the hard drive?

The only time Windows would start using swap file more, is if the ram was
reported as less than installed. Slow downs are not normally a sign of
memory errors. Memory runs at a fixed speed (you set it in BIOS setup). It
will not slow down as it ages, it will just start having errors.

System slow downs are a sign of too much going on in the background, and
not enough memory/processor/etc. to handle the load. Could be part of the
latest program you installed staying resident. Could be a virus or trojan
emailing all your friends to spread the joy . Could be a very fragmented
disk drive/swap file. Memory either runs correctly at the speed set by the
system, or starts causing errors.

JT
Old April 29th 04, 02:40 AM
Waylander

Would I be correct in saying there would be a major slow down in all

aspects.Would the system rely on the swamp file, thus
considerably reducing speed due to use of the hard drive?

nope, unexpected shutdowns, bsod... unlikely to slow down more likely to
fall over...

Old April 29th 04, 06:55 AM
James Whitehead

When I had a faulty chip my computer would run fine but I could not
sucessfully create a ZIP file without the file having errors. I ran the
software from passmark that picked it up.