Really low 1000-1100 RPM reading on Power Supply Fan

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 1st 04, 07:24 AM
Hupjack

Default Really low 1000-1100 RPM reading on Power Supply Fan

I just finished putting together my system, which I installed inside an
Antec SLK1600
http://www.antec-inc.com/us/pro_deta...p?ProdID=91600 This
case comes with an Antec 300W SmartPower ATX12V power supply.

I took the opportunity to install the ASUS PC Probe so I could make sure
that my temperatures, fan speeds, and voltages were in their proper ranges.
After noticing the PC Probe monitoring slot for power fan and chasis fan, I
realized my power supply had a cable that I could use to send the power
supply fan speed signal to the motherboard for monitoring. My Asus A7V8X-X
appears to only have fan connectors for the processor and a 2nd labeled for
the Chasis. I plugged the power supply fan cable into the chasis fan
connector, and the fan speed came through reported as the chasis fan just as
expected.

This note in the Antec Manual explains that the power supply fan may spin as
low as 1500 RPM and that motherboards might have problems with that.

Note: The speed of the fan may be as low as 1500 RPM when
temperatures are low. At these speeds some motherboards may not be able to
properly
detect the fan speed and may generate false warnings of fan failure. Please
refer to your
motherboard manual for proper fan monitoring set up.

Well it just so happens that right now PC Probe is reporting exactly 1500
RPM, but earlier it was reporting 1000 - 1100 RPM. Is this likely a
manifestation of the problem Antec warns is possible, or might I have a
funky power supply with a fan spinning slower than it should? From looking
at some posts on USENET, my impression was that for those who's mobos were
having trouble detecting the sub 1500 RPM speeds, the board simply wasn't
reporting anything at all, like 0 RPM though their fan was clearly spinning.
Since I'm actually getting 1000-1100 reported, I'm wondering if this is
accurate and just fine, accurate and bad news, or an inaccurate reading,
like reporting zero, just another possible result of troubled detection of
sub-1500 RPM fan speeds.

Another thought... Are all fan connectors created equally, or might using
the chasis fan connector to monitor the power supply fan be botching the
monitoring?

Thanks in advance,
-Ethan

--