My HP Deskjet 855C died tonight.

Old January 25th 20, 08:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
VanguardLH[_2_]

Default My HP Deskjet 855C died tonight.

"John C." wrote:

HL-3270CDW

https://www.brother-usa.com/products/hll3270cdw

Says it is a color laser printer. I clicked on the link for supplies.
I could search at stationery stores (e.g., Office Depot) or eBay which
might have cheaper prices, but I'll just compare manufacturer prices for
now. With this printer, you need to buy a black toner and 3 color
toners (yellow, cyan, magenta) versus 2 inkjet cartridges (black,
color). Each of the standard-yield toner cartridges costs $73 for a
total of $292 for all 4 toners (which exceeds the price of the printer).
Yield is 1400 pages for black, and 1300 for each color toner. So, the
consumable cost is 5 cents/sheet for black and 5.6 cents/sheet for
color. The cost for the printer alone is $250.

The one above is an MFP printer. I had one of those but an inkjet, but
disliked the amount of desk space it consumed. When I replaced it, I
still got a printer+scanner combo but much smaller: HP Envy 5660. Costs
for its inkjet cartridges, according to HP's site, is $40 for black with
600-page yield (6.7 cents/page) and $44 for tri-color with 415-page
yield (10.6 cents/page). The cost for the printer alone was $50 (when I
bought it).

The upfront cost is 5 times higher for the color laser printer but the
consumables are cheaper -- if you print a lot. The inkjet cartridges
last me about 2 years because I don't print very often. Although my
average is 1.7 pages/day, I don't print everyday. Once in a while I
print something with lots of pages that I need separate of the computer
(i.e., a doc file or online copy is not sufficient). I haven't had a
problem with the HP-original cartridges drying out, but did have that
problem when I went with cheaper knock-off cartridges. I probably waste
more ink printing a monthly test page to make sure the cartridges
haven't dried out (clogged jets, not ink loss).

Another feature you need to check with laser printers is if the fuser is
part of the toner cartridge or separate. If separate, you'll have to
know how to clean it (and the ionizer wire). When I had a black-only
laser printer many years ago, I made sure to get a model where the fuser
was in the cartridge. Every time the toner cartridge got replaced, so
did the fuser, so I never had to clean the fuser. From what I see from
the pics of the Brother's toner, it is too small to include the fuser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV7N7gmUJnk
(didn't find a video on the model in which you are interested)

Because I got a laser printer where the fuser was in the black toner
cartridge, I never had to clean the fuser (in the drum unit). So, I
never had to learn what to use to clean the fuser. According to the
above video, you can use isopropyl alcohol (93% is available at any
pharmacy store).

If you start getting streaks in the printouts, the fuser is at fault.
With a fuser inside the cartridge, the repair is easy (but pricey).
With the fuser separate inside the printer, you have to know how to
dismantle the printer to remove, clean, and replace the fuser. If an
inkjet cartridge starts streaking, you can first try wiping a lintless
towel using isopropyl alcohol over its head to unplug a jet port; else,
replace the cartridge.

From the reference guide for the HL-3270CDW, a "waste toner box" is
listed. Approximate yield is 18,000 to 50,000 pages (depends on how
many pages are printed per print job), so eventually its another
consumable to replace. That part (WT-223CL) costs $30; see
https://www.brother-usa.com/products/wt223cl. Since this item is listed
with a page-yield lifespan, you cannot simply empty it to reuse it but
have to replace it. Page 266 describes how to extract the unit; see
https://download.brother.com/welcome..._use_oug_a.pdf.

Another problem with lasers is with their heat (fuser) if you print
self-stick labels. Because of the heat, the sticker can come off the
paper and get stuck inside the printer. Could in in the feed path,
could be on the fuser, and invariably leave glue after removing the
sticker that remains on the inside that affects feeding or printing. If
you expect to print labels (that have glue), make sure a laser printer
that has a rear eject port, so the paper takes a straight path through
the printer (no bending). Another reason for wanting a straight feed
(no bending) is when printing a hardcopy of many pages and not wanting a
curl in all the pages. I didn't see the HL-3270CDW has a rear tray.
Old January 26th 20, 06:50 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
John C.

John McGaw wrote:
On 1/25/2020 12:29 PM, John C. wrote:
John McGaw wrote:
On 1/25/2020 7:17 AM, John C. wrote:
John McGaw wrote:
On 1/25/2020 6:24 AM, John C. wrote:
Tonight I tried to print a grayscale portrait of my late uncle and
aunt on some nice, glossy photo paper. After waiting a long time
for the job to finish (the XP drivers for the HP 855C really suck
badly), I was astonished when the paper came out exactly as it
went in... BLANK! This was after I'd gone into the settings (with
which I am intimately familiar) and made sure the were all correct
for the job.

I took out the black cartridge to clean it a little and when I
tried to put the thing back in the printer, the cartridge lock
broke and threw pieces in random directions. How DARE it! I mean,
I only bought it back in '96. The printer was so expensive that at
the time, I made a promise to myself to, no matter what it took,
use the thing until it paid for itself.

Instead of getting upset at it breaking, I only said the full
version of "WTF?" under my breath and felt a combination of ennui,
sadness and relief that the machine was finally gone. A long time
ago, it lost the ability to print in color because the cartridges
(although still available) are so expensive and dry up so fast.
It's always required periodic roller cleaning in order to get any
paper to feed correctly too.

Now all that is at an end.

Over the years, I've been watching the dismal developments with
printers, watched how printer ink has become almost the most
expensive substance on earth per ounce. Watched how inkjets have
become the industry's "loss-leader" throw-aways in order to get
you hemorrhaging money for their ludicrously over-priced cartridges.

I've also watched carefully and taken note of the way that almost
all inkjet printer reviews carefully avoid discussing the
capacities of the cartridges and confuse printing cost issues.

I would not buy another inkjet printer if you held a loaded gun to
my head. However, I still want to be able to print in color ...and
reliably. Searching on the internet has resulted in my impression
that the best color laser printer available for home use is the
Brother HL-3270CDW, which is a single-function printer. That it's
not a MFP isn't important to me because I have a good flatbed
scanner already.

Does anybody have any comments about this choice, pro or con?

TIA

I have what must be the previous version of the Brother Printer, a
HL-3170CDW, and it has been flawless for the few years I've had it.

Thanks! One of my concerns about the model I'm looking at is that
one of the reviews said it didn't have a manual feed slot. Yet, when
I downloaded and read the manual, it clearly described how to use
the manual feed slot on page 13.

There is definitely a manual feed slot on mine. There is some
limitation on the thickness of stock that can be fed either from the
tray or the manual feed since the paper makes a bend at the rear of
the machine before it is ejected but that is probably true for most
any printer that tries to minimize volume -- folding the paper path
is the only way.

Oh, and I can say that mine is not picky about "foreign" toner. I've
had to change the black toner out once and used a decent but non-OEM
unit for half the price from Amazon and it worked perfectly.

Funny you should mention that. I was just looking at what you're
describing an hour or so ago and wondering if it might be a good idea
to order a set with the printer. Guess I will now.

Honestly, I'd hold off on that until you see what your consumption is.
Black toner is the fastest to go and my OEM stuff lasted for at least
two years. The after-market toner cartridges are cheaper than OEM but
they are still not free and just take up space (and I don't know what
the shelf life might be).

Shelf life of toner is much, much longer than ink. Also, prices only go
up for toner and ink. If I buy it now, I'll probably never live long
enough to use it all at my age.

--
John Corliss
Old January 26th 20, 06:51 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
John C.

wrote:

Searching on the internet has resulted in my impression that the best color
laser printer available for home use is the Brother HL-3270CDW, which is a
single-function printer. That it's not a MFP isn't important to me because
I have a good flatbed scanner already.
Does anybody have any comments about this choice, pro or con?
TIA

I have what must be the previous version of the Brother Printer, a
HL-3170CDW, and it has been flawless for the few years I've had it.

I've owned a HL-3140 CW for a few years.
it looks just like the 3170
I do not print any photos at all - I go to Costco.
I do minimal colour printing - but have no complaints about the
print quality when I need colour.
I have replaced the black toner with after-market - at less than
half the cost of Brother brand - it's working fine . Still using the
original colour toners.
The only minor "thing" that I learned - when feeding the paper
into the manual feed slot - make sure that you feel the roller
" tug " the paper - if you don't feel the tug - try again -
or else you get a paper jam.

Interesting. I downloaded the manual for the model I'm looking at that
in the description of how to use the manual feed slot, the instructions
were to do exactly as you describe!

The only other paper feed problem was
once or twice I was at the final 2 sheets in the tray..
When I bought it - an important consideration was toner cartridge
availability and cost - so far so good. My other requirement was
wireless connectivity - it works fine there also.
Anyone needing home-office or photo ? printing would certainly
be looking at a better model anyway eg for 2-sided printing
but this has been perfect for my home use.

The model I'm looking at (HL-3270CDW) has 2-sided printing. There is a
cheaper model which I'm sure is a nice printer too, but I want the
HL-3270CDW.

$ 250. Canadian Go for it !
If I remember - that's ~ what I paid for mine.

https://www.staples.ca/products/2434...-laser-printer

One of the customer reviews mentions re-installing drivers
regularly - due to multiple users - I forgot to mention that -
I have had to un-install and re-install the device several times
- not sure why but it seems to happen after my wife has done some
printing .. it's a bit of a pain but after a few times it's
become quite routine & quicker ..
Win 8 might be the problem ?

Mine is a single user computer.

--
John Corliss
Old January 26th 20, 07:02 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
John C.

VanguardLH wrote:
John C. wrote:

[...]

From the reference guide for the HL-3270CDW, a "waste toner box" is
[...]

Thanks very much for that detailed information, VanguardLH. You've given
me a lot to consider.

Incidentally, that Brother website really sucks once you get to the
supplies page. It actually locked up my browser.

--
John Corliss
Old January 26th 20, 05:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

Yrrah wrote:
"John C." :

Searching on the internet has resulted in my impression that
the best color laser printer available for home use is the Brother
HL-3270CDW, which is a single-function printer. That it's not a MFP
isn't important to me because I have a good flatbed scanner already.

Does anybody have any comments about this choice, pro or con?

Does it support Linux distros?

Yrrah

It looks to be very accommodating.

https://support.brother.com/g/b/osli...70cdw_us_eu_as

There is a radio button for ".rpm" and one for ".deb"
in the Linux section of the download page.

https://support.brother.com/g/b/down...cdw_us_e u_as

And in the page on "How to identify your Operating System (OS)",
there is no entry to help a Linux user. I guess if a Linux
user didn't know what they were running... they'd never hear
the end of it :-)

Paul
Old January 27th 20, 12:26 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
John McGaw

On 1/26/2020 11:26 AM, Yrrah wrote:
"John C." :

Searching on the internet has resulted in my impression that
the best color laser printer available for home use is the Brother
HL-3270CDW, which is a single-function printer. That it's not a MFP
isn't important to me because I have a good flatbed scanner already.

Does anybody have any comments about this choice, pro or con?

Does it support Linux distros?

Yrrah

I'd think so. I have the virtually-identical previous version (one digit
different) and it supports my Mint-Linux notebook just fine over a network
connection although it took me a couple of tries, not being a Linux guru,
to get it working as well as I'd like. Amazing given that I used to be a
Unix sysadmin but the days of printcap and termcap are long gone.
Old January 27th 20, 05:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
John C.

Yrrah wrote:
"John C." :

Searching on the internet has resulted in my impression that
the best color laser printer available for home use is the Brother
HL-3270CDW, which is a single-function printer. That it's not a MFP
isn't important to me because I have a good flatbed scanner already.

Does anybody have any comments about this choice, pro or con?

Does it support Linux distros?

No, according to this:

https://www.brother-usa.com/-/media/...equirement.pdf

--
John Corliss
Old January 27th 20, 08:04 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
John C.

VanguardLH wrote:
"John C." wrote:

[...]

From the reference guide for the HL-3270CDW, a "waste toner box" is
listed. Approximate yield is 18,000 to 50,000 pages (depends on how
many pages are printed per print job), so eventually its another
consumable to replace.

I just looked a that "Reference Guide" file myself. I don't know where
you got that lower figure, because all the guide says is 50K with a
superscript reference to item number 2, which says "Letter or A4 size
single-sided pages".

And the belt unit is also rated at approx. 50K pages, with variances
possible due to media type and size.

In the pitiful few years of life I have left to me, there's no way I'll
ever print that amount of pages. There isn't any way that I will ever
print even the lower figure in my lifetime.

[...]

I'm used to my HP 855C mangling paper and getting jammed. I've been
living with that for so long that this Brother printer is going to be a
dream. Besides, my first laser printer was a Brother HL-4V, and I loved
it. I lost it when a repair guy broke it right in front of me and then
denied doing so ("Don't believe your lying eyes, believe what I tell
you.") He's no longer in business, was an incompetent ass.

I hear what you're saying about self-sticking labels though, since I use
them around Christmas time. On that topic, the same reference guide says
the following on page 10:
Load Paper in the Manual Feed Slot
Use the Manual Feed Slot when printing on the following media:
Plain paper
Thin paper
Recycled paper
Bond paper
Thick paper
Labels 1 -----NOTE
Envelopes 1
Glossy paper

• Adjust the guides
• Use both hands to insert one sheet of paper
• Continue pressing the paper against the rollers for about two seconds,
or until the machine grabs the paper and pulls it in further

(NOTE THE FOLLOWING LINE)
1 Open the back cover (face up output tray) before printing to let the
printed paper exit onto the face up output tray.

--
John Corliss
Old January 27th 20, 12:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
VanguardLH[_2_]

"John C." wrote:

VanguardLH wrote:

From the reference guide for the HL-3270CDW, a "waste toner box" is
listed. Approximate yield is 18,000 to 50,000 pages (depends on how
many pages are printed per print job), so eventually its another
consumable to replace.

I just looked a that "Reference Guide" file myself. I don't know where
you got that lower figure, because all the guide says is 50K with a
superscript reference to item number 2, which says "Letter or A4 size
single-sided pages".

Oops, I must've combined #4 for the drum (with fusers) with the 50,000
mentioned in the pic table for the waste box. For high-yield black
toner cartridges at 3000 pages (for black), after 16 to 17 cartridges
you also replace the waste bin. That could be awhile before you buy
another at $30 (if, by then, you can still find one). However, that
same pic table (page 347) says the drum unit lasts 18,000 pages. That's
a replacement ($126) after the 6th black toner. How long that takes
depends on your print volume.

Because inkets are more costly per page and slower than laser printers,
I remember pondering more before hitting the print button and using
preview (where I printed to a file and viewed the file, not the preview
the printer's software might show before it actually prints) when I
moved to an inkjet. With laser printers, I fell to the same fault as
many other laser printer users and just printed away, and then made
corrections to the print job. I wasted more paper and toner with the
laser printers than with inkjets. Nowadays, regardless of printer type,
I rarely print anything and instead save it into a file either
internally, removable media, or online. I still print out legal docs,
but keep a file copy when I or someone wants a copy.

I'm used to my HP 855C mangling paper and getting jammed. I've been
living with that for so long that this Brother printer is going to be a
dream.

You mentioned cleaning the rollers. Whether laser or inkjet (but more
often with laser due to heat), feeding would begin to fail because the
rollers had shrunk. They're rubber/vinyl and their solvent dries out.
I remember getting a spray can of a special cleaner that didn't just
clean the roller but also rehydrated it with solvent. That would make
the roller expand just enough along with give it more friction to solve
the feeding problems. You can clean using isopropyl alcohol, but that
dries out the roller which, in turn, shrinks it.

I hear what you're saying about self-sticking labels though, since I use
them around Christmas time. On that topic, the same reference guide says
the following on page 10:

Except the paper still has to curl around the rollers to take a path for
ionization and fusing, and it's that curling around the rollers that
imparts a curl the paper printout and increases the hazard for
self-stick labels to come off the backing paper. Back for my prior
laser, it did have a rear exit to eliminate curling and peeling.

For example, the Brother HLL2300D has a rear paper exit. I still
suspect there is still one curl, perhaps not a full wrap around, to pass
the paper along the fuser(s). I'm not suggesting that product, just
giving an example with a rear exit for a [nearly] straight paper path.

Rather than use a laser printer for self-stick label printing, I'd hang
onto my inkjet printer for that job (which has a rear exit). Alas,
inkjet ink is water based and prone to smearing when it gets wet, like
for self-stick labels you print from an inkjet use for shipping labels
on the outside of a box. There are water-resistant inks to help prevent
smearing, but usually those are listed for specific brands and models.
You could just put some clear packing tape over the inkjet'ed shipping
label. If you want a more professional look, there are polyester labels
that include a clear label to put over the printed one.

One trick I've seen postal workers do at the desk when they see what's
look like gel pens or inkjets to print on a self-stick label is to swipe
a wet tissue across to see if the label smears. There are more
permanent gel pens (e.g., Uniball 207) and some water-resistant inkjet
inks, but those can smear, too, like the label got water logged instead
of just misted.

Of course, lasers aren't without problems, either. If the fuser doesn't
get hot enough, the toners doesn't adhere as well to the paper. Ever
get a package with it looks like some of the lettering fell off? The
fuser heats the toner so the adhesive in it will make the granules stick
to the paper. If not hot enough, the toner doesn't stick as well.
Old January 27th 20, 04:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
John C.

VanguardLH wrote:
"John C." wrote:

VanguardLH wrote:

From the reference guide for the HL-3270CDW, a "waste toner box" is
[...]

I haven't mentioned that a cousin gave me a new, still-in-the-box HP
Envy 4520. He said he bought it, decided he didn't want it and tried to
give it away to all his friends. He couldn't even give it away. It comes
with "starter" cartridges that will print about 245 black and 100 color
pages (of course depending on the content.) It's free, so I'll use up
the cartridges, that is unless they dried out while sitting since the
thing was bought.

Will still be getting that Brother HL-L3270CDW printer though. It's
currently the highest rated color laser (class, because it's actually an
LED) printer.

--
John Corliss