Plug & Play O/S

Old October 25th 08, 10:29 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
housetrained

Default Plug & Play O/S

Pardon my ignorance but is Vista &/or XP a Plug & Play O/S.
I've always BIOS'd 'yes' just guessing. What would happen if I 'no'd'?

--
John the West Ham fan C.E.T.

Old October 25th 08, 01:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
TVeblen

"housetrained" wrote in message
om...
Pardon my ignorance but is Vista &/or XP a Plug & Play O/S.

Yes - both.

Old October 25th 08, 02:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

"housetrained" wrote:

Pardon my ignorance but is Vista &/or XP a Plug & Play O/S.
I've always BIOS'd 'yes' just guessing. What would happen if I
'no'd'?

I never noticed any difference after installing Windows thousands of
times. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old October 25th 08, 03:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Geoff

Yes, vista and xp are P&P and on my ASUS A8V, the default was no in the
BIOS.

Here is what the A8V manual says about that BIOS option:

'Plug and Play O/S [No]

When set to [No], BIOS configures all the devices in the system. When set
to [Yes] and if you installed a Plug & Play operating system, the operating
system configures the Plug & Play devices not required for boot.

Configuration options: [No] [Yes]'

--g

Old October 25th 08, 03:47 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Ian D

"housetrained" wrote in message
om...
Pardon my ignorance but is Vista &/or XP a Plug & Play O/S.
I've always BIOS'd 'yes' just guessing. What would happen if I 'no'd'?

--
John the West Ham fan C.E.T.

I've always had it set to "No" since Win95, the first PNP OS.
Conventional wisdom was that it should be set to "No"
because the BIOS is better at configuring PNP devices, and
sharing IRQs. That's why the default on most motherboards
is "No".

Old October 25th 08, 04:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Sjouke Burry

housetrained wrote:
Pardon my ignorance but is Vista &/or XP a Plug & Play O/S.
I've always BIOS'd 'yes' just guessing. What would happen if I 'no'd'?

Sorry, vista and xp are plug and PRAY o/s
Old October 25th 08, 07:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
a[_4_]

"housetrained" wrote in message om...
Pardon my ignorance but is Vista &/or XP a Plug & Play O/S.
I've always BIOS'd 'yes' just guessing. What would happen if I 'no'd'?

Either one will work in most cases, and with most hardware. Setting it to
'no' is preferable if you're forcing a specific IRQ setup (e.g. disabling ACPI
and trying to avoid IRQ sharing), and want Windows to follow the IRQ
scheme it finds in the system bios table, instead of allocating its own table.

These days most devices and their drivers have no problem sharing IRQs,
so you should leave ACPI enabled (if it's even an option in your system
bios) and leave PNP OS set to Yes, and let Windows handle the IRQ
allocation.

Old October 25th 08, 08:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rotten Ronny

"Sjouke Burry" wrote in message
Sorry, vista and xp are plug and PRAY o/s

PnP works fine on XP and Vista. It's only on Win98 where PnPray is a valid
term.

Old October 25th 08, 09:08 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
housetrained

"housetrained" wrote in message
om...
Pardon my ignorance but is Vista &/or XP a Plug & Play O/S.
I've always BIOS'd 'yes' just guessing. What would happen if I 'no'd'?

--
John the West Ham fan C.E.T.

Thanx 4 those.
Just redone me XP and left it at 'no' seems ok atmit

--
John the West Ham fan C.E.T.

Old October 25th 08, 10:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Franc Zabkar

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 09:29:20 GMT, "housetrained"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Pardon my ignorance but is Vista &/or XP a Plug & Play O/S.
I've always BIOS'd 'yes' just guessing. What would happen if I 'no'd'?

IMHO, choosing "yes" is possibly the better option because it avoids
the potential problem of both the BIOS and OS writing different data
to the ESCD table in NVRAM. For example, a PnP OS may configure the
PnP devices differently to the BIOS, in which case it will write its
preferred configuration to NVRAM. At the next cold boot the BIOS may
update the NVRAM with its own preferred configuration, and the OS will
then update it again, and so on. Your motherboard's flash EEPROM is
spec'ed to tolerate many thousands of writes, but IMHO it would not be
a good idea to allow this scenario to continue. Unlike USB flash
drives, there would probably be no wear leveling, and in any case the
ESCD table occupies a fixed position in the BIOS chip.

I have configured Device Manager to prevent Windows from updating
NVRAM, so I don't have this problem.

- Franc Zabkar