Motherboard upgrade on Dell Optiplex system?

Old October 6th 04, 03:39 PM
Lawrence H. Robins

Default Motherboard upgrade on Dell Optiplex system?

Is it possible to replace the motherboard in a Dell Optiplex system,
specifically the GX150 minitower form (manufactured in 2001), with a
"standard size" non-Dell motherboard? Has anyone done this?

I looked inside the case and noticed two potential hardware problems
(of course there may be more problems that I didn't see). (1) The
motherboard is in two pieces with a "bridge" (connecting the
circuitry) between the large piece and the small piece. The small
piece appears to hold primarily slots for adding system memory. (2)
Their is a plastic "ventilation duct" going from the CPU cooling fan
to a point on the system case. It isn't obvious how to remove this
plastic duct without breaking it, and even if the duct could be
removed in one piece, it wouldn't fit on the new motherboard unless
the CPU cooling fan position and size were exactly the same.

Thanks for any help; I only plan to pursue the motherboard replacement
idea if it turns out that others have done it successfully.
Old October 7th 04, 01:27 AM
Bob Knowlden

Lawrence,

I suggest studying the documentation at support.dell.com. You don't need a
service tag to see the documents, and you don't need to register. You may
get there directly by going to:

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...n/ug/index.htm

There is information there on all sorts of details, including removing the
CPU cooling duct.

I can't claim to be highly knowledgeable about such matters, but it's clear
that the mainboard is nothing like an industry-standard ATX board. It might
be possible to install a third-party mainboard in the system, but I doubt
that it's practical. (The power supply, for example, puts out 200W. That's a
bit low by present standards, and P4 systems require a separate 12V
connection, which I expect is not present.)

Your best bet might be to dispose of the GX150 as a whole, rather than
trying to re-use components. The SDRAM wouldn't be of use in an up-to-date
P4 system, which usually wants DDR (DDR2 for the latest Socket T systems).
The optical drives (CD-RW, etc.) are quite cheap these days - even good DVD
burners can be had for less than $100US. (Good DVD burners also burn CDs at
rates not much less than the fastest CD-only burners.) Your best choice may
be to build or buy an entirely new system.

I have nothing against the GX150; I've had one on my desk at work for three
years. I much prefer it to the GX240 machines on some of my neighbor's
desks - those are slow P4 machines, much worse for my purposes than a fast
PIII system.

Bob Knowlden

"Lawrence H. Robins" wrote in message
[...]

Dell Optiplex GX110 video upgrade need help please thanks! Sara Pinkski Dell Computers 0 August 16th 04 04:00 AM
Cooling Questions Peter Cavan General 35 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM
Cooling Questions Peter Cavan Overclocking 37 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM
FS/FA: $40.00 Dell Optiplex TOWER Computer System (WORKS GREAT!) 80500 Jlaenterprises4 Dell Computers 0 July 13th 03 02:19 AM
FS/FA: $55.00 Dell OPTIPLEX Tower System w/SCSI **LOADED and WORKS GREAT** 6578520 Christopher Muto Dell Computers 0 June 25th 03 04:19 PM