Best Last Generation P4 Motherboards?

Old October 6th 04, 04:46 PM
Lee Waun

"Tony Hill" wrote in message
On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 23:22:17 -0400, keith wrote:

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 02:42:55 +0000, The little lost angel wrote:

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 22:55:20 -0400, keith wrote:

Angel, Angel, Angel... Need you ask such silly questions? I bought a
new
system (my K6-III/400 is still working just fine), simply because I
*could*. Perhaps you need to watch some _Red_Green_ to understand. ;-)

Ok, I admit the red_green part totally went past my head, wat is it???
Ppp

I thought you were part of the Kanuckistan discussions of months
past, sorry. We were discussing such things here a while back with
TonyH.

You see "Red Green" is the only export Canada has that's worth commenting
on (ok, other than the gas that I use to heat with - connection?), so I
have to give due credit to TonyH and Canuckistan whenever possible. ;-)

Oh god not that show. As a Canadian I for one have never ever watched an
episode of that show. I have only seen segments while channel surfing and
the battery in my remote dies when it gets to that channel. Had to replace a
lot of batteries for my remote because of that show.

20 at yahoo dot ca

Old October 7th 04, 03:09 AM
keith

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 05:02:48 -0400, Tony Hill wrote:

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 23:22:17 -0400, keith wrote:

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 02:42:55 +0000, The little lost angel wrote:

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 22:55:20 -0400, keith wrote:

Angel, Angel, Angel... Need you ask such silly questions? I bought a new
system (my K6-III/400 is still working just fine), simply because I
*could*. Perhaps you need to watch some _Red_Green_ to understand. ;-)

Ok, I admit the red_green part totally went past my head, wat is it???
Ppp

I thought you were part of the Kanuckistan discussions of months
past, sorry. We were discussing such things here a while back with
TonyH.

You see "Red Green" is the only export Canada has that's worth commenting
on (ok, other than the gas that I use to heat with - connection?), so I
have to give due credit to TonyH and Canuckistan whenever possible. ;-)

Hey! Don't forget the beer! :

It's drinkable. Since the pub's raised the price, I drink cheap or
better (for my birthday my wife bought Dos Equis - yum).

"Keep your stick on the ice."

Now say the man's prayer.

--
Keith
Old October 7th 04, 03:12 AM
keith

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 15:46:27 +0000, Lee Waun wrote:

"Tony Hill" wrote in message
[...]

Like too many Canuckistani's you have no sense of humor. ...sometimes I
think my wife is Quebecois, but amazingly she's a Texan with a
Canuckistani sense of humor. ;-)

--
Keith
Old October 7th 04, 03:19 AM
keith

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 06:57:19 -0400, George Macdonald wrote:

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 23:32:13 -0400, keith wrote:

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 18:38:05 -0400, George Macdonald wrote:

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 21:52:42 -0400, keith wrote:

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 04:15:11 -0400, George Macdonald wrote:

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 19:56:42 -0400, Jim Lyons lyons432 wrote:

I'd like to replace my Abit BH6 with one of the now, relatively
inexpensive, Socket 478, 400 or 533MHZ FSB, P4 motherboards people
are currently selling new on Ebay for under $50. But I'd like to
continue using the two, 80 GIG, ATA, Maxtor HD's I'm currently running
(WIN 98) in a RAID 0 array on a Promise controller.

Am I reading this right? You're booting Win98 off a Raid-0 array? I
wasn't sure that was possible but... life in the err, fast lane?:-)

Why not, as long as the RAID controller has boot BIOS it should work. DOS
did.

Well with Win98 it's a certainty that something is going to go wrong at
some point, hardware quirks or no. If that something prevents the full &
correct switch from the RAID BIOS to the Promise protected mode driver...
boom goes a stripe array.

Booting from a striped arrray and having a stable Win9x system are not in
any way the same thing. As long as BIOS (on-board or in the I/O
channel) supports booting, any OS will boot. Once the OS takes over,
surrender all hope. ;-)

It's the bit in the middle that gets ya.:-)

The middle bit?? Promise raid controllers had boot BIOS. It's the end
bit that get's ya. Rather like my SATA drive under Linux. :-(

Yes, I did a lot of work with Promise "controllers" a *long* time ago.
They worked rather well even then for any OS I could throw at them. Of
course some didn't recognize anything other than the basic BIOS calls
(INT13H?).

Our hot-swappable drives with the Promise kit are still working very
nicely on the Win2K server. At 80GB they're now taking ~50mins to
re-build though - have to upgrade the mbrd.sigh

That seems long, but 80GB is a lot of "stuff". I been contemplating such
a setup for a while, but haven't had the energy.

IIRC none of the WinNT derivatives support booting off a RAID-0.

Sure they did! WinNT4 happily booted off a Promise controller in
RAID-0. I don't remember the specifics, other than that was one of my
compatability tests. I'm pretty sure they had full drivers available
too.

Funny it was in my head that they advised against that... or I read it
somewhere at Mickeysoft.mumblegrumble

Dunno why. I was setting up drives that way back in the '88 timeframe.
I did quite a bit of drive performance testing (using system benchmarks
and Intels drive metrics) back then, some using these sorts of cards as
experiments, and WinNT-4 was the platform of choice.

--
Keith
Old October 8th 04, 03:56 PM
Jim Lyons

Thanks again for all the help you gave me on the board., guys, I took
your advice and lucked into a new or like-new, ASUS P4C800 Deluxe MB
(w/Intel 875P chip set, 800MHz FSB, Hyperthreading SATA/ATA RAID) etc.
for only $91 on Ebay .

Now I have to look around for a chip and some memory. I was wondering
if XT handled extended memory and resources better that Win 98 -- I
can't imagine it being any worse -- and whether I should opt 256Megs
512 Megs or more, given that I like to have multiple windows open when
I do web surfing, word processing, and several other things at the
same time.

Regards,

Jim

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 05:02:49 -0400, Tony Hill
wrote:

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 11:48:41 -0400, Jim Lyons lyons432 wrote:

Thanks very, very much, especially to Tony and George, for the great
info.

I think I found a MB - the Asus P4V8X-x -- that will fill my needs at
a real good price. The only thing that's stopping me from buying one
is that I can't find any reviews of it anywhere, and there are no NG
threads that even mention it.

So I was hoping you guys might know something about this board,
considering how much you know about everything else

Err, it's a VIA-based board, and a rather dated one at that. Newegg
sells them brand-new for $50, though for the price I'd probably spring
for the extra $18 for the faster and VIA-free MSI 865PE Neo2-V (or
even just spending $10 more for an MSI 848P Neo-V). Unless you're
really tight on cash, the extra performance and, more importantly,
fewer gray hairs being caused by VIA's rather... umm... tricky drivers
are more than worth it IMO.

-------------
Tony Hill
hilla underscore 20 at yahoo dot ca

Old October 9th 04, 12:34 AM
George Macdonald

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 10:56:52 -0400, Jim Lyons lyons432 wrote:

Thanks again for all the help you gave me on the board., guys, I took
your advice and lucked into a new or like-new, ASUS P4C800 Deluxe MB
(w/Intel 875P chip set, 800MHz FSB, Hyperthreading SATA/ATA RAID) etc.
for only $91 on Ebay .

Now I have to look around for a chip and some memory. I was wondering
if XT handled extended memory and resources better that Win 98 -- I
can't imagine it being any worse -- and whether I should opt 256Megs
512 Megs or more, given that I like to have multiple windows open when
I do web surfing, word processing, and several other things at the
same time.

While WinXP (not XT) is much better, Win98 wasn't really all that bad at
managing memory until you got above 512MB and even then it was trivial to
go higher.

First check the Asus web site (the global one at www.asus.com.tw) for
memory compatibility with the mbrd and I'd advise 512MB to start with on
2x256MB DIMMs - it's a dual channel mbrd and buying 2 128MB DIMMs is a bit
of a waste and won't save much, anyway.

Good luck with it.

Rgds, George Macdonald

Old October 9th 04, 12:34 PM
George Macdonald

On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 00:00:23 GMT, Never anonymous Bud
wrote:

Trying to steal the thunder from Arnold, George Macdonald on Fri, 08 Oct 2004
19:34:56 -0400 spoke:

While WinXP (not XT) is much better, Win98 wasn't really all that bad at
managing memory until you got above 512MB and even then it was trivial to
go higher.

How much memory it handles, and HOW it handles it, are 2 VERY different things.

And whether the average user is going to notice any difference is another
err, *different* thing.

Rgds, George Macdonald

Old October 11th 04, 07:29 AM
Mike Kirkland

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 20:51:47 GMT, Johannes H Andersen
wrote:

So why the subject line? "Best Last Generation P4 Motherboards?".

If you're spending money anyway, why not get something worth while,
such as 800 MHz with dual channel, Hyper Threading and a mb with Intel
875P chip set, SATA such as e.g. Gigabyte GA-8IK1100? That is what I
did and it didn't cost a lot.

Because he wants to do it on the cheap. I have both an 875 chipset mb
and an 845 chipset mb. For what he wants to spend and his purposes the
845 is all he needs.