Best Last Generation P4 Motherboards?

Old October 5th 04, 02:52 AM
keith

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 04:15:11 -0400, George Macdonald wrote:

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 19:56:42 -0400, Jim Lyons lyons432 wrote:

I'd like to replace my Abit BH6 with one of the now, relatively
inexpensive, Socket 478, 400 or 533MHZ FSB, P4 motherboards people
are currently selling new on Ebay for under $50. But I'd like to
continue using the two, 80 GIG, ATA, Maxtor HD's I'm currently running
(WIN 98) in a RAID 0 array on a Promise controller.

Am I reading this right? You're booting Win98 off a Raid-0 array? I
wasn't sure that was possible but... life in the err, fast lane?:-)

Why not, as long as the RAID controller has boot BIOS it should work. DOS
did.

--
Keith
Old October 5th 04, 03:42 AM
The little lost angel

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 22:55:20 -0400, keith wrote:

Angel, Angel, Angel... Need you ask such silly questions? I bought a new
system (my K6-III/400 is still working just fine), simply because I
*could*. Perhaps you need to watch some _Red_Green_ to understand. ;-)

Ok, I admit the red_green part totally went past my head, wat is it???
Ppp
If you need basic to med complexity webpages at affordable rates, email me
Old October 5th 04, 04:48 PM
Jim Lyons

Thanks very, very much, especially to Tony and George, for the great
info.

I think I found a MB - the Asus P4V8X-x -- that will fill my needs at
a real good price. The only thing that's stopping me from buying one
is that I can't find any reviews of it anywhere, and there are no NG
threads that even mention it.

So I was hoping you guys might know something about this board,
considering how much you know about everything else

Thanks again in advance.

Jim

Old October 5th 04, 11:38 PM
George Macdonald

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 21:52:42 -0400, keith wrote:

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 04:15:11 -0400, George Macdonald wrote:

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 19:56:42 -0400, Jim Lyons lyons432 wrote:

I'd like to replace my Abit BH6 with one of the now, relatively
inexpensive, Socket 478, 400 or 533MHZ FSB, P4 motherboards people
are currently selling new on Ebay for under $50. But I'd like to
continue using the two, 80 GIG, ATA, Maxtor HD's I'm currently running
(WIN 98) in a RAID 0 array on a Promise controller.

Am I reading this right? You're booting Win98 off a Raid-0 array? I
wasn't sure that was possible but... life in the err, fast lane?:-)

Why not, as long as the RAID controller has boot BIOS it should work. DOS
did.

Well with Win98 it's a certainty that something is going to go wrong at
some point, hardware quirks or no. If that something prevents the full &
correct switch from the RAID BIOS to the Promise protected mode driver...
boom goes a stripe array.

IIRC none of the WinNT derivatives support booting off a RAID-0.

Rgds, George Macdonald

Old October 6th 04, 12:31 AM
George Macdonald

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 11:48:41 -0400, Jim Lyons lyons432 wrote:

Thanks very, very much, especially to Tony and George, for the great
info.

I think I found a MB - the Asus P4V8X-x -- that will fill my needs at
a real good price. The only thing that's stopping me from buying one
is that I can't find any reviews of it anywhere, and there are no NG
threads that even mention it.

First it's a VIA chipset board and is limited to 533MT/s FSB. This is not
an enthusiast DIY mbrd so that might be a reason it's not mentioned much.
Basically it's a mbrd which is likely being sold into the low-end OEM
market. A quick search at Google groups turns up hits from Eastern
European NGs so maybe that's its err, niche.

Its price at www.newegg.com is $50. with an indication that it *might* be
capable of 800MT/s with overclock but IIRC VIA never got a license for the
800MT/s Intel FSB.

So I was hoping you guys might know something about this board,
considering how much you know about everything else

It might be OK but for a few $$ extra you'd be better off with an Intel
chipset.

Rgds, George Macdonald

Old October 6th 04, 04:22 AM
keith

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 02:42:55 +0000, The little lost angel wrote:

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 22:55:20 -0400, keith wrote:

Angel, Angel, Angel... Need you ask such silly questions? I bought a new
system (my K6-III/400 is still working just fine), simply because I
*could*. Perhaps you need to watch some _Red_Green_ to understand. ;-)

Ok, I admit the red_green part totally went past my head, wat is it???
Ppp

I thought you were part of the Kanuckistan discussions of months
past, sorry. We were discussing such things here a while back with
TonyH.

You see "Red Green" is the only export Canada has that's worth commenting
on (ok, other than the gas that I use to heat with - connection?), so I
have to give due credit to TonyH and Canuckistan whenever possible. ;-)

Anyway, Red Green is sora a red-neck, Canuck style. I guess it's a little
over-the Hill for antipodians, but a web search of "red green"
+ television might be interesting. ...but likely not. ;-)

One reasonably representative example result of said search would turn
up quotes such as (http:www.pbs.org/redgreen/):

NORTH OF FORTY

Why Mature Men Don't Ask for Directions When We're Lost

Okay it all comes down to pride. We're out there driving around in our
own vehicle, burning gas, wearing sunglasses, looking good. People who
see us driving by would never guess that we have no idea where we are.
And we don't want to tell them. Men don't enjoy the concept of going up
to total strangers and saying "You may not know this but I'm a moron."
In contrast the woman we're traveling with is often very anxious to
share this knowledge with the world. It somehow eases her burden. To
women, getting lost on a trip is a blameless act of nature - to men it's
a personal failure. He knew where he was when he left home - he doesn't
know where he is now. Somewhere along the line he crossed the line from
the world he knows into the world he doesn't know. To a man this is how
he felt when he got married or had kids. If he admits he's lost in the
car, he'll have to admit that he's lost everywhere and that's way too
much to ask. So just bite your tongue and circle the block a few more
times. Men aren't lost, they just go the long way.

-- or --

The Seven Stages of Parking

Stage One - You're a kid. All you have to park is your butt.

Stage Two - You're a teenager and you park with a girl who has a good
chance of being your future wife.

Stage Three - You're married with kids and are parking a mini-van at
McDonald's.

Stage Four - The kids are grown and working at McDonald's, you've
got a sports car and are caught parking with a girl
who has no chance of being your future wife.

Stage Five - You're parking in the garage for a while, where you're
also living.

Stage Six - You're old, no car no license no parking spot.

Stage Seven - You're parked. Permanently. In your own space. Even
has your name over it.

--
Keith

Old October 6th 04, 04:32 AM
keith

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 18:38:05 -0400, George Macdonald wrote:

[...]

Booting from a striped arrray and having a stable Win9x system are not in
any way the same thing. As long as BIOS (on-board or in the I/O
channel) supports booting, any OS will boot. Once the OS takes over,
surrender all hope. ;-)

Yes, I did a lot of work with Promise "controllers" a *long* time ago.
They worked rather well even then for any OS I could throw at them. Of
course some didn't recognize anything other than the basic BIOS calls
(INT13H?).

IIRC none of the WinNT derivatives support booting off a RAID-0.

Sure they did! WinNT4 happily booted off a Promise controller in RAID-0.
I don't remember the specifics, other than that was one of my
compatability tests. I'm pretty sure they had full drivers available too.

Even OS/2 booted from a Promise RAID-0 array. ;-)

--
Keith
Old October 6th 04, 10:02 AM
Tony Hill

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 23:22:17 -0400, keith wrote:

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 02:42:55 +0000, The little lost angel wrote:

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 22:55:20 -0400, keith wrote:

Angel, Angel, Angel... Need you ask such silly questions? I bought a new
system (my K6-III/400 is still working just fine), simply because I
*could*. Perhaps you need to watch some _Red_Green_ to understand. ;-)

Ok, I admit the red_green part totally went past my head, wat is it???
Ppp

I thought you were part of the Kanuckistan discussions of months
past, sorry. We were discussing such things here a while back with
TonyH.

You see "Red Green" is the only export Canada has that's worth commenting
on (ok, other than the gas that I use to heat with - connection?), so I
have to give due credit to TonyH and Canuckistan whenever possible. ;-)

Hey! Don't forget the beer! :

"Keep your stick on the ice."

-------------
Tony Hill
hilla underscore 20 at yahoo dot ca
Old October 6th 04, 10:02 AM
Tony Hill

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 11:48:41 -0400, Jim Lyons lyons432 wrote:

Thanks very, very much, especially to Tony and George, for the great
info.

I think I found a MB - the Asus P4V8X-x -- that will fill my needs at
a real good price. The only thing that's stopping me from buying one
is that I can't find any reviews of it anywhere, and there are no NG
threads that even mention it.

So I was hoping you guys might know something about this board,
considering how much you know about everything else

Err, it's a VIA-based board, and a rather dated one at that. Newegg
sells them brand-new for $50, though for the price I'd probably spring
for the extra $18 for the faster and VIA-free MSI 865PE Neo2-V (or
even just spending $10 more for an MSI 848P Neo-V). Unless you're
really tight on cash, the extra performance and, more importantly,
fewer gray hairs being caused by VIA's rather... umm... tricky drivers
are more than worth it IMO.

-------------
Old October 6th 04, 11:57 AM
George Macdonald

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 23:32:13 -0400, keith wrote:

[...]

It's the bit in the middle that gets ya.:-)

Yes, I did a lot of work with Promise "controllers" a *long* time ago.
They worked rather well even then for any OS I could throw at them. Of
course some didn't recognize anything other than the basic BIOS calls
(INT13H?).

Our hot-swappable drives with the Promise kit are still working very nicely
on the Win2K server. At 80GB they're now taking ~50mins to re-build though
- have to upgrade the mbrd.sigh

IIRC none of the WinNT derivatives support booting off a RAID-0.

Sure they did! WinNT4 happily booted off a Promise controller in RAID-0.
I don't remember the specifics, other than that was one of my
compatability tests. I'm pretty sure they had full drivers available too.

Funny it was in my head that they advised against that... or I read it
somewhere at Mickeysoft.mumblegrumble

Rgds, George Macdonald