How do I reinstall Win 98

Old June 7th 04, 11:09 PM
Mickiete

Default How do I reinstall Win 98

Compaq Armada 1700
4gb HD

I have run scandisk with MS-dos 6.2 and no errors have been found on the HD.

I have Fdisked and formated the harddrive, was told to SYS C: it too, but am
unable to install Win98, the boot disk
loads, it gets to "copying files needed for windows setup".
"Please remove any floppy disks from your drives and press any key to
restart your system".

But on doing this I get the following:
"Non-system disk or disk error, Replace and press any key when ready".

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get my Win98 back on.

--

Thanks
Mick

ALL incoming and outgoing mail sent to, or from me on this computer is
scanned by Norton Antivirus.

For more information, click the link below:
http://www.symantec.com/region/reg_e...nav_index.html

Old June 7th 04, 11:49 PM
Adam

On 07/06/04 23:09, Mickiete wrote:

But on doing this I get the following:
"Non-system disk or disk error, Replace and press any key when ready".

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get my Win98 back on.

Remove the Win98 CD from the drive when the computer resets (and put it
back in as soon as it's started booting again)

Adam

--
Adam Richardson
Email me at:

Old June 8th 04, 05:41 PM
David

You can try installing from your hard drive instead of the cd. Just copy the
win98 folder (only folder you need) from the cd to your hd and run setup.exe
from there (leave the cd out). You'll want to have the win98 drivers for
your machine handy. You can download them from HP.

"Mickiete" wrote in message
Retail Win98

--

Thanks
Mick
West Midlands,
UK

ALL incoming and outgoing mail sent to, or from me on this computer is
scanned by Norton Antivirus.

For more information, click the link below:
http://www.symantec.com/region/reg_e...nav_index.html
link.net...

Old June 8th 04, 08:28 PM
Mickiete

As of now I have reinstalled the Bios partition, but on trying to install
Win98 I have now got one step forward, it now stops at "error loading
system.drv"

--

Thanks
Mick
West Midlands,
UK

ALL incoming and outgoing mail sent to, or from me on this computer is
scanned by Norton Antivirus.

For more information, click the link below:
http://www.symantec.com/region/reg_e...nav_index.html
"David" wrote in message
hlink.net...
You can try installing from your hard drive instead of the cd. Just copy

the
win98 folder (only folder you need) from the cd to your hd and run

setup.exe
from there (leave the cd out). You'll want to have the win98 drivers for
your machine handy. You can download them from HP.

"Mickiete" wrote in message
Retail Win98

--

Thanks
Mick
West Midlands,
UK

ALL incoming and outgoing mail sent to, or from me on this computer is
scanned by Norton Antivirus.

For more information, click the link below:
http://www.symantec.com/region/reg_e...nav_index.html
link.net...

Old June 9th 04, 05:08 AM
David

Hmm.. Did you say win98 was working properly before on this machine or is
this the first time you're installing it? Be sure you have the latest ROM
version for the laptop. Are you attempting to install win98 from the cd or
the hd and where in the install process do you get this error? For complete
instructions on how to best install win98 on your computer, go to the win98
drivers page and download sp8906.exe "Installing Microsoft Windows 98 on
Compaq Armada Portable Products". Hope that helps.

"Mickiete" wrote in message
As of now I have reinstalled the Bios partition, but on trying to install
Win98 I have now got one step forward, it now stops at "error loading
system.drv"

--

Thanks
Mick
West Midlands,
UK

ALL incoming and outgoing mail sent to, or from me on this computer is
scanned by Norton Antivirus.

For more information, click the link below:
http://www.symantec.com/region/reg_e...nav_index.html
"David" wrote in message
hlink.net...
You can try installing from your hard drive instead of the cd. Just copy

the
win98 folder (only folder you need) from the cd to your hd and run

setup.exe
from there (leave the cd out). You'll want to have the win98 drivers for
your machine handy. You can download them from HP.

"Mickiete" wrote in message
Retail Win98

--

Thanks
Mick
West Midlands,
UK

ALL incoming and outgoing mail sent to, or from me on this computer is
scanned by Norton Antivirus.

For more information, click the link below:
http://www.symantec.com/region/reg_e...nav_index.html
link.net...