How to access bios on compaq??

Old June 5th 04, 10:19 PM
Brigitte J.

Default How to access bios on compaq??

Someone gave me a compaq computer. I think it's a compaq 5340, not sure of
that model number, but it's got a 400mhz processor with 3D Now. Can someone
please tell me how I can get to the bios screen? I've tried F1, but it
doesn't take me to setup/bios screen.

And what's 3D Now? The graphics on this thing suck. It won't allow me to
change the settings. Well, actually it does let me change them, but after
the system reboots, they go back to the crappy settings. Anyone know how I
can change this? The board has on-board video and says I have the most
current drivers.

TIA for any help.

Brigitte

Old June 5th 04, 10:24 PM
Kevin Childers

"Brigitte J." wrote in message
Someone gave me a compaq computer. I think it's a compaq 5340, not sure

of
that model number, but it's got a 400mhz processor with 3D Now. Can

someone
please tell me how I can get to the bios screen? I've tried F1, but it
doesn't take me to setup/bios screen.

Q) How do I enter the BIOS on my Presario?
A) Normally, hitting F10 at the Compaq logo (cursor to upper right
corner)
at bootup. Check the Compaq FAQ posted in this newsgroup for more details

And what's 3D Now? The graphics on this thing suck. It won't allow me to
change the settings. Well, actually it does let me change them, but after
the system reboots, they go back to the crappy settings. Anyone know how

can change this? The board has on-board video and says I have the most
current drivers.

Does the clock also go back to the factory default? If so, it could be
a dead CMOS battery.

KC

Old June 6th 04, 12:10 AM
doS

The clocks on that model had issues, relative had one, never good get the
time to stay current.

Old June 6th 04, 12:38 PM
Euclid

The graphics on this thing suck. It won't allow me to
change the settings. Well, actually it does let me change them, but after
the system reboots, they go back to the crappy settings.
________________________

That could be due to a special proprietary graphics process running under
msconfig startup. Sometimes you have to kill that process (uncheck that box)
if you want to retain all of your graphics settings after a computer
restart. I have that problem on my later model Compaq as well - don't
remember the name of the process, but you can find it by experimenting.
-E

Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 June 5th 04 11:17 AM
Compaq FAQ ** NEW INFO** HH Compaq Computers 0 May 15th 04 11:56 AM
Compaq user diagnostics diskette bananaboat Compaq Computers 3 April 21st 04 03:05 AM
Compaq FAQ (new link included) HH Compaq Computers 0 January 24th 04 02:29 PM
Pls Help--Need to access the BIOS of a Compaq Presario CDS 860 Phisherman Homebuilt PC's 3 January 23rd 04 01:48 PM