Dell, CompUSA Gear Up For Vista Launch

Old November 30th 06, 07:22 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Default Dell, CompUSA Gear Up For Vista Launch

http://www.ng2000.com/news.php?tp=dell

Dell said customers with volume licensing agreements with Microsoft can
use Dell to factory-install Vista, and CompUSA is offering a Vista
implementation program at 160 of its stores.

Old December 1st 06, 12:33 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bart Romero

On 30 Nov 2006 10:22:31 -0800, wrote:

http://www.ng2000.com/news.php?tp=dell

Dell said customers with volume licensing agreements with Microsoft can
use Dell to factory-install Vista, and CompUSA is offering a Vista
implementation program at 160 of its stores.

Anyone know when we will be able to order a Dell with Vista installed?

Old December 1st 06, 03:56 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
journey

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 18:33:27 -0500, Bart Romero wrote:

Anyone know when we will be able to order a Dell with Vista installed?

Do you want to be one of the early adopters on the bleeding edge?

I think systems will be available around the end of January / early
February.

For myself, I still need to research Vista, but at this point I think
I'd rather have XP, with the upgrade to Vista, which I may then
install after I know more that it's stable.

It seems like Microsloth is taking the time to do it right. As a
monopoly without any real competition, there probably isn't much
urgency.
Old December 1st 06, 04:43 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bart Romero

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 20:56:35 -0600, journey wrote:

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 18:33:27 -0500, Bart Romero wrote:

Anyone know when we will be able to order a Dell with Vista installed?

Do you want to be one of the early adopters on the bleeding edge?

I think systems will be available around the end of January / early
February.

For myself, I still need to research Vista, but at this point I think
I'd rather have XP, with the upgrade to Vista, which I may then
install after I know more that it's stable.

It seems like Microsloth is taking the time to do it right. As a
monopoly without any real competition, there probably isn't much
urgency.

Well I've been using Vista at work since RC1, and RC2 is good enough
for me. I feel pretty good that the real deal will be quite solid at
launch time. Any necessary patches will come down quickly through
Windows Update, its not like we all have to wait until a major service
pack release anymore, so waiting few months after the initial release
has become kind of passe.

My primary issue is that it's delaying my PC purchase right now,
because I want the ultimate edition and none of the upgrade plans
right now support an upgrade to ultimate, even for an extra price.

Old December 1st 06, 05:20 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Barry Watzman

I don't know, but personally I'd RATHER buy a PC with XP installed AND a
free upgrade to Vista. In my view, best of both worlds.

Old December 1st 06, 05:42 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Barry Watzman

The OEMs may be (probably will be, I think) given permission to begin
selling preloaded machines to the general public before January 30th.
Dell and CompUSA already have such permission for certain classes of
business customers, and MS doesn't want the OEMs to wait until January
30th to begin making machines with Vista (they wouldn't show up on store
shelves until March or April). But at the same time the OEMs can't cut
over production now and yet keep those machines from being sold for 60
days. The distribution chain is both long and variable; some machines
are in an end user's hands 3 weeks after manufacture, while others will
still be in inventory 6 months later. It's a problem for the OEMs, and
MS is likely to end up allowing sales of Vista as a preload before
January 30th to keep everyone happy and the distribution channel running
smoothly. The January 30th date is really for retail copies of Vista,
and probably won't strictly and absolutely end up applying to preloaded
OEM systems.

Old December 1st 06, 07:30 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RussellS

"Bart Romero" wrote in message
[...]

Since there is no current version of XP that compares to Vista Ultimate,
Microsoft has decided not to offer it as an Express Upgrade path from a PC
pre-installed with XP...but after you receive your Vista DVD, you can
upgrade to Ultimate by simply purchasing an upgrade key directly in the
Windows Information screen (while connected to the Internet.) Since there
is one master DVD with all versions on it (but locked via the particular
product key you received) you'd already have the Ultimate installation on
the Vista Home Basic, Vista Home Premium or Vista Business DVD. You just
need the new key from Microsoft to upgrade to another edition. Actually,
there is one master DVD with all of the 32-bit versions of Vista, then
another DVD with all of the 64-bit versions.

Personally, I think that the Express Upgrade offer from XP to Vista is a
good reason to buy now; you get an XP CD and a Vista DVD. Same goes for the
Office 2003 to 2007 Office free upgrade offer: two versions for the price
of one.

-Russell
http://tastycomputers.com

Old December 1st 06, 04:22 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ron Beam

Bart Romero wrote:
On 30 Nov 2006 10:22:31 -0800, wrote:

http://www.ng2000.com/news.php?tp=dell

Dell said customers with volume licensing agreements with Microsoft can
use Dell to factory-install Vista, and CompUSA is offering a Vista
implementation program at 160 of its stores.

Anyone know when we will be able to order a Dell with Vista installed?

Dell state that: "January 30th 2007 is the official date set by
Microsoft when Dell and other OEMs can begin shipping systems with Vista
factory installed."

See
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportfor...essage.id=1588