Laptop Buying Decisions - Choice for Good One Now - Easy Upgrade Later

Old July 30th 06, 07:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Default Laptop Buying Decisions - Choice for Good One Now - Easy Upgrade Later

OK, gurus. When it comes to selecting a laptop, you can probably
recognize that I rode the short bus. Any friendly suggestions greatly
appreciated.

I am trying to buy a fairly inexpensive laptop, but one that can be
easily upgraded later. I tend to run multiple, hefty applications. I
would like Windows xp Media Center OS if possible. I would like to
burn CD's and DVD's, and label them. I would like excellent audio and
video quality.

Here's my question: If I need to make trade-offs to facilitate
immediate purchase, what should I sacrifice that would still enable me
to easily upgrade my processor later? With the new Core 2's, I'd like
to find a fast, capable processor now that would make it easy for me to
go up to a Core 2 when they are a little more affordable, and also in
anticipation of Vista release.

Advice please:

-processor selection - fast and competent now, less cost so investment
won't be too upsetting when I replace it
-DDR 2 at at least 1gb, right?
-Graphics card that will be good now, compatible with potential
upgrades, that won't break the bank?
-Any feeling on solid, dependable burners? Labeling capabilities?
-Looks like many laptops are upgradeable from onboard sound to Audigy -
worth it? Or is a there a particular onboard sound I should look for
when selecting a processor?
-Wireless and connectivity solution?
-I know I need accidental repair coverage and warranty. But, if I
upgrade the processor in 12 months, this would void most coverages
anyway, right?

I'd really appreciate your help. Also, any good deals you know of.

Old July 30th 06, 07:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

BTW, I've been advised to purchase the fastest HD and RAM...should help
now and after upgrade, correct?