performance gain from 2400+ to 3000+

Old August 22nd 05, 09:15 PM
dave

Default performance gain from 2400+ to 3000+

Hi i have xp 1700+ overclocked to 2400+ by changing fsb from 133 to
166. i was wondering if there will be a noticeable performace gain if
i upgrade the chip to 3000+ since it's the max speed my mb can
support(kt400). TIA

david
Old August 22nd 05, 10:23 PM
Wes Newell

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 20:15:29 +0000, dave wrote:

Hi i have xp 1700+ overclocked to 2400+ by changing fsb from 133 to
166. i was wondering if there will be a noticeable performace gain if
i upgrade the chip to 3000+ since it's the max speed my mb can
support(kt400). TIA

The 3000+/333 runs at 2166MHz with 512K cache. your 1700+ has to be a
Tbred B core or you wouldn't have got it to a 2400+ speed, so the main
difference in the 2 cpu's is 256K vs. 512K cache. Not a big deal IMO. IMO,
AMD starting overrating the cpu's at about the 2800+ mark. I offer this as
to why I say that. The Tbred 2800+ runs at 2250MHz with 256K L2 cache. the
3200+ runs at 2200MHz with 512K L2 cache. That extra cache running slower
than the the 2800+ doesn't equate anywhere close to a 3200+ rating IMO. If
your 1700+ is unlocked, I'd just raise the multiplier to 13x166 or higher
(probably need to raise vcore too) and save my money for a A64 system. If
your cpu is multiplier locked then you can either turn it into a mobile to
unlock it or buy a mobile 2400+ XP-M (also has 512K cache) and overclock
it probably better than a 3000+XP and it will be cheaper too.

Old August 24th 05, 05:48 PM
dave

Thank for the info. i'm thinking i'll just get the compaq SR1010Z
athlon 64 3400+ system from hp.com for about 399 after rebate. how
much performance gain will it get from xp 2400+ to athlon 64 3400+?
i'm using it mostly for multimedia. TIA

david

On 24 Aug 2005 02:39:14 -0400, uddarts
wrote:

"" wrote:
Hi i have xp 1700+ overclocked to 2400+ by changing fsb from
166. i was wondering if there will be a noticeable performace
gain if
i upgrade the chip to 3000+ since it's the max speed my mb can
support(kt400). TIA

david

i did some runs using superpi v1.4.

i used different multi’s on a unlocked xp2800 on my msi delta. i used
1gig stick of corsair 3200pro with the fsb set to 166 and timing at
7-3-3-3 to force it to single channel.

11x166= spi/58.7 seconds
11.5 = 57.1
12 = 55.4
12.5 = 54.5

i have a xp2400 setup in a soyo kt600 ultra plt with 2x512 sticks of
corsair 3200c2pro. i set the timing again to 166 with 7-3-3-3 timings.
the tbred has the 256 cache which should be what you have.

11x166= spi/64.8 seconds

i don’t no how accurate this comparison is but it should give you and
idea. as you can see by the scores the gain drops as the multi goes
up. haven’t a clue. no i didn’t feel like playing with the dip switch
to set the other multi’s.

run superpi 1.4 on your present system and see what you get.

http://superpi.radeonx.com/

ud