Upgrade Windows ME To XP Pro

Old July 13th 05, 08:28 PM

Default Upgrade Windows ME To XP Pro

Does anyone have an idea how to get xp to install? Ihave A 5004US
desktop. It has ME installed as OEM. I want to install XP Pro but when
I try to install, it goes into a reboot cycle and will not stop.
HELP!
Old July 13th 05, 08:57 PM
Ben Myers

As often the case with Compaq Presarios, the HP web site does not bother to give
the specifications for the computer. If it does, I sure can't find them.

If you know which processor is in the system and how much memory is in it, this
may help figure out why XP won't install. Despite Micro$oft hype and various
name brands shipping computers without enough memory, XP will probably not
install in a computer with less than 256MB of memory, and 512MB is a better
amount for general use.

Elsewhere on the web, I found the following info about the 5004US, as shipped
originally:

* AMD Athlon(TM) Processor running at 1.1 GHz.
* 200 MHz system bus
* Enhanced 3D Now!(TM) video technology
* 16 MB Nvidia TNT2 M64 PRO graphics card
* SoundMax Digital Audio system
* 128 MB RAM, 100 MHz [Upgraded to 256mb Ram!!]
* 60 GB hard disk drive
* 8X/4X/24X DVD-ROM drive
* 8X/4X/32X CD-RW drive [Upgraded to Sony 24x/10x/40x CDRW!!!]
* 56K V.90 modem
* 10/100Mb PCI network interface card
* 1 parallel port
* PS2 mouse port
* 4 USB ports [2 in front, 2 in back]

If the above is what is in your system, add memory before trying again. I
recently serviced a Compaq Presario with similar specs, and XP installed just
fine with 512MB of memory... Ben Myers

Old July 13th 05, 10:01 PM
McSpreader

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in
:

XP will probably not
install in a computer with less than 256MB of memory

Rubbish. I successfully installed XP on a 64MB PII recently. It ran
impossibly slowly, but it did install.
Old July 13th 05, 10:51 PM
Ben Myers

To each his own. Depending on the chipsets and other variables involved, others
may not have such great success... Ben Myers

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 21:01:38 GMT, McSpreader wrote:

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in
:

XP will probably not
install in a computer with less than 256MB of memory

Rubbish. I successfully installed XP on a 64MB PII recently. It ran
impossibly slowly, but it did install.

Will Windows Power the Living Room? Ablang Homebuilt PC's 32 July 8th 04 05:34 AM
Freedom: Coming to a Windows Box Near You Ablang General 0 June 30th 04 03:04 AM
Cisco News Ya'll MemoryDealers General 0 April 21st 04 04:14 PM
Unable to install a network HP DeskJet 810C Series printer on a Windows 2000 client Fernando Ronci Printers 0 January 9th 04 02:20 PM
Upgrade to Windows XP Bob S Acer Computers 2 October 19th 03 12:53 AM