booting Presario 5330 from an ATA/133 card

Old February 28th 05, 11:07 PM
Nicholas D Richards

Default booting Presario 5330 from an ATA/133 card

In article , Brian
writes

Has anyone managed to get a Presario 5330 or similar to boot
from a drive connected to an ATA/133 card? Win 2K installs
to the drives OK up until the first time it needs to reboot,
and I've been round and round the BIOS setup screens, but I
just can't find how to get the system to boot from a drive
hooked to the ATA/133 card.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,

Brian.

Is this a Promise card?

The manual for a Promise card instructs you to load the Promise drivers
at a very early stage in the install (for WINNT, Win 2K and Windows XP,
Win9x is different). How you do it depends upon the type of install.
Did you do this?
--
Nicholas David Richards -

"Oł sont les neiges d'antan?"
Old March 1st 05, 04:39 AM

Checking the obvious:

During POST, have you gone into the controller cards BIOS and set it to
bootable?

In the Compaqs BIOS (depending on how custom it is) I would set the
boot order somthing like this
1) Boot other Devices
2) Boot removable devices
3) boot ATAPI CDROM
4) boot IDE Hard Drive

Can you boot off of a cd and read the drive? If yes, look for NTLDR
and NT DETECT on the drive connected to the controller. Check the
boot.ini file and if it says mulit 0 disk 0 blah blah bla, try
changing it to mulit 3 disk 3

or what ever number works.

Old March 1st 05, 02:20 PM
Ben Myers

I'll speculate that because the Presario 5330 is a consumer system, rather than
a business system, somebody somewhere in the halls of HPaq decided not to
implement the BIOS boot options found in higher grade systems. So using a boot
device on a 3rd party ATA133 card simply may not be possible... Ben Myers

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 06:02:39 -0500, Brian
wrote:

On 28 Feb 2005 19:39:52 -0800,
wrote:

Checking the obvious:

During POST, have you gone into the controller cards BIOS and set it to
bootable?

It's not obvious, because I can't find any way to get into
the controller card's BIOS! The only option I'm given is to
hit F3 if I want to set the drives into a RAID
configuration. For the moment, I'm just trying to get the
controller to work without the RAID features. Anyway, I
looked at the RAID menus, and there was nothing about
setting the card BIOS to be bootable, or anything close to
it.

In the Compaqs BIOS (depending on how custom it is) I would set the
boot order somthing like this
1) Boot other Devices
2) Boot removable devices
3) boot ATAPI CDROM
4) boot IDE Hard Drive

There are five options for the boot order, I have them set
in the following order

1) Floppy
2) Hard drive (C
3) IDE CD-ROM
4) USB
5) Ethernet

There's no entry for "other devices" or "removable devices".

If I look at the controller order, then I have that set as
follows

1) Maxtor 4D080H4
2) Samsung SV4002H
3) Integrated IDE

1) and 2) are the correctly-identified drives on the ATA/133
card, the Maxtor is the primary master, and the Samsung the
primary slave.

If I look at the device configuration menu, then the only
devices I can configure under that are the DVD-RW and the
floppy.

Finally, if I go to the advanced menu and look at the PCI
devices, the RAID card is listed, and it has sole use of
IRQ5.

Can you boot off of a cd and read the drive?

I don't have a bootable CD with the drivers for the card
loaded. I was trying to build the system when I came up
against the problem, I can't get through an installation of
the operating system, it fails at the first reboot, when the
drives on the ATA/133 have become invisible again.

If yes, look for NTLDR
and NT DETECT on the drive connected to the controller. Check the
boot.ini file and if it says mulit 0 disk 0 blah blah bla, try
changing it to mulit 3 disk 3

or what ever number works.

Yes, I know about the boot.ini file. I guess the only way I
can try this out is to put a third drive on the MB IDE,
build a system on that including the ATA/133 drivers, make a
bootable CD from there, then remove the third drive and try
booting from the CD. I'll give it a whirl and see what
happens - back in a day or so with the answer. I might also
try the card in another (non-Compaq!) PC and see whether I
get the same sort of problems.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Brian.

--
NOTE
Replies to the e-mail address used to post this

Old March 1st 05, 10:07 PM

Most likely you cant boot off the card, hence the no "boot other
device" option.

I still think that if you can edit the boot.ini file you can get this
to work. You have 2 onboard IDE devices and 2 card controlled devices.
IDE1 - /dev/hda IDE2 = /dev/hdc, IDE3 (firs card IDE device) -
/dev/hde, IDE4 = /dev/hdg. So your boot.ini file should read somthing
like mulit(5) disk(5). Simply stated, the boot HD on the controller
card is the 5th ide device reckonized by the BIOS.

All you really need to do to make this work is put the boot loader on
another media. Like you said you can add another HD and put the
NTDETECT, NTLDR, and boot.ini files on it and leave the rest of the OS
on the HD connected to the controller card. Your BIOS supports USB
boot, so get the smallest flash card you can find, and a cheap flash
card reader and put the boot loader on that. You can use the NT
loader, LILO, grub, etc.. If you dont have a lot of experiance w/ boot
loaders, find one called GAG. GAG is a great, low end boot loader
thats very easy to configure, if youve never configured a boot loader
before.

Good Luck