Old Deskpro + New PCI IDE Card Troubles

Old May 29th 04, 09:10 PM
Kevin Childers

Back to the original issue though, as far as I can be of any assistance,
you might see if you can get a PCI controller card that the system will
recognize. Check your local used PC shops etc. If not them, then Ebay,
Pricewatch, and a general Google of the web may turn up an alternative
source. Since Compaq machines were big as leased machines see if you have a
local office machine leasing company and try to find out what they do with
their returned/off lease machines. Many have a used PC outlet that sells
these machines and their components used, but still in good condition to the
general public. Also check the local college system as Compaq's are big
with them as well.

Finally, at the risk of sounding like a sales agent, look at
www.epcusa.com. They are St. Louis based company that sells returned/off
lease machines for a couple of different office machine leasing companies.

KC

"Sharmon" wrote in message
news
Tom I am used to your disputing everything I say but you might want to
look up OHCI especially when Compaq started making the transition to
UHCI 1.0 (1994-late 1996) . It is known as USB 1.0/1.1 and was very
common in a lot of earlier P2's . The southbridge chipset wasn't even
capable of handling the higher 12mb/s I/O for about 4 months after
UHCI 1.1 was developed .Only mice , keyboards and other 1.5 mb/s
devices worked well. A lot of Digital R&D was put into perfecting it
for about two years after the spec was published. (real world met
theory in a big way). Yes USB 2.0 devices will usually work on 1.1
ports but they will not work on 1.0 ports if the full 12mb/s is needed
. I had an Armada 1700 that had a USB 1.0 port listed as USB 1.1
compliant that worked only with 1.5 mb/s devices and the occasional
older Palm (the MB in the Armada was ver 1.1A this problem was fixed
by ver 2.0) . I worked for Digital/Compaq/HP for 11 years and finally
got tired of be treated like trash and now work for the federal
government so I can stop worry so much about be "downsized" for a
change.

Best Regards Tom

Sharmon

I'll accept your thoughts on the PCI cards, but no machine ever shipped

with
a USB1.0 port, so I don't think your comments are accurate. USB2 devices
will run flawlessly (and slowly) on a USB1.1 port.

Tom
"Sharmon" wrote in message
.. .
Absolutely no chance , the mobo isn't even looking at the right
address on the card. Like trying to use a USB 1.0 port with a USB 2.0
device , most are only USB 1.1 or 2.0 compatable.

Oh

So you think I've got no chance of getting my new controller working?

Adam

Ben Myers wrote:

Adam,

Unfortunately, there is only some backward compatibility. A PCI 2.2

board
requires a PCI 2.2 motherboard, and may work in a PCI 2.1 mobo.

However, a PCI
2.2 complaint mobo IS backward compatible with any PCI card.

The important thing is the level of PCI compliance of the

motherboard.
For the
most part, Pentium-class motherboards were PCI 1.0 or 1.1 compliant,

with a few
made to meet the PCI 2.0 spec... Ben Myers

On Sat, 29 May 2004 13:37:31 +0100, Adam

wrote:

Hmm, actually the specs of the card:
http://tinyurl.com/3y3yb
say it's PCI, revision 2.2

Surely the new specs would be backwards compatible though?

Adam

Ben Myers wrote:

A 166Mhz Pentium system may well conform to an older version of the

PCI spec,
whilst the new PCI cards meet the PCI 2.1 spec. And they may

require
PCI 2.1 on
the motherboard... Ben Myers

On Fri, 28 May 2004 15:52:46 +0100, Adam

wrote:

Hi All,

I've just bought a new PCI IDE controller card in order to skip

the
8GB
limit on the size of my hard drive. Unfortunately the card is not
recognised. It doesn't show up in the device list in the Compaq

BIOS
:-(
(I've tried it in two different PCI slots)

Any ideas why?

My computer is a: DeskPro 4000S 5166X
The card is an ST-305 made by "Silicon Image"

Thanks a lot,
Adam

--
Adam Richardson
Email me at: stonemonkey@ntlworld~nonono~dot com

Adam

Old May 29th 04, 11:59 PM
Ben Myers

Adam,

Odds are slim. There are other PCI IDE controllers (and even plain disk BIOS
replacement cards without IDE connectors) which are less demanding of the
motherboard PCI revision level. You might investigate specs of other cards
before buying. Unfortunately, most of the new cards require a PCI 2.2
motherboard. You may well have to find a used card. Or consider replacing the
DeskPro if you can afford it... Ben Myers

Old May 30th 04, 04:49 AM
HH

Tom, good point. I've got a Western Digital 80GB USB 2 HD. It works fine on
my Presario S5200CL with USB 2 ports. It also works fine, just slower, on my
IBM with USB 1.1 ports.
HH

Old May 30th 04, 04:59 AM
HH

Actually, Tom, a few Presarios did ship with USB 1.0. Some of the early
4700s and even 4800s did and caused no end of headaches.
HH

Old May 30th 04, 12:01 PM
Adam

Thanks for the advice Ben (and Kevin for similar thoughts)

Yes - the problems was that I didn't realise that my DeskPro wouldn't
support PCI 2. I did have a look at the specs of the card before I got
it and it mentions backwards compatibility with 33MHz buses and the
like. Also, there's lots of advice around which I found which says "buy
a new PCI card to fix your harddisc limit" without any caveats, so I
didn't realise there'd be a compatibility issue

thinks In fact, I think when I originally asked here about new hard
drives, someone recommended a new PCI IDE controller...

Anyway, I shall return my card and keep an eye on eBay for an old one.
Hmm, actually it looks like my new card sells for more on eBay than I
bought it for! Maybe I'll sell it instead...

Buying a new computer isn't really a question of money - my current one
pretty much does everything I want fine and if I had 80GB instead of 8GB
then I'd really be all set

Adam

Old May 30th 04, 12:38 PM
Tom Scales

OK, I stand corrected. I was under the impression those machines were
entirely non-standard and only officially supported the Compaq USB camera.

Tom

Old June 5th 04, 05:07 PM
Adam

Hello again :-)

Well, I managed to pick up a secondhand Promise Ultra66 on eBay for next
to nothing (still planning to sell my new card there and hopefully make
enough to profit to pay for the Promise!!) and had a /slight/ nightmare :-(

The Promise card works fine, recognised the big harddrive and
everything. So next I decided to use fdisk to create a new partition to
use the extra space. Good plan, I thought. However, somehow fdisk
managed to completely corrupt the filesystem on the *original*
partition[*] - not an eventuality I had prepared for :-(
Not only that, but it then refused to see more than 10GB of my 80GB!

Anyway, after some extensive trauma and with the help of an old drive
with an OS on it and "free fdisk" I've ended up with a formatted drive
and everything running fine except...

How can I stop the compaq BIOS asking me to press F1 every time I turn
the computer on and after the Promise has booted up? Or is it just
something I'm going to have to live with?

Thanks a lot,
Adam
[*] While not fun, it was funny! For example, a folder with a couple of
megabytes worth of files in it counted as being 360 gigabytes big!!
Old June 5th 04, 05:38 PM
Adam

Adam wrote:

How can I stop the compaq BIOS asking me to press F1 every time I turn
the computer on and after the Promise has booted up? Or is it just
something I'm going to have to live with?

Oh, and, my "disc-activity" LED doesn't light any more. I can see a
green and white pair of wires running from the LED. I assume I can chop
these and attach them to the connector on the Promise card (see step 11
he http://tinyurl.com/3bw7m) but which of the four connectors on the
Promise card should I attach them to?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Adam
Old June 5th 04, 05:45 PM
Adam

I wrote:
How can I stop the compaq BIOS asking me to press F1 every time I turn
the computer on and after the Promise has booted up? Or is it just
something I'm going to have to live with?

Oh, and, my "disc-activity" LED doesn't light any more. I can see a
green and white pair of wires running from the LED. I assume I can chop
these and attach them to the connector on the Promise card (see step 11
he http://tinyurl.com/3bw7m) but which way round do the green and
white wires go?

Any ideas?

Thanks,