Presario won't turn on

Old July 21st 03, 01:41 PM
Irishpat

Default Presario won't turn on

Quite a few people are having this problem from the looks of the user groups
on Compaqs support forums.

I have a 1200-XL110 with Windows 98SE. It is about 3 yrs old. Haven't
really used it that much.

Last fall, it wouldn't boot up from either the battery or the AC power cord.
The power cord light came on but that was all that happened. Took it to
CompUSA who did the remove battery, and hold down the power button for 90
seconds trick (that I didn't know about) and charged me $140.

Next few times that it did this, that trick worked and laptop would power
up.

Now, nothing works. I have tried some of the suggestions that I read about
in the support forums but I don't know anything about opening up the laptop
so I haven't fooled with any suggestions about the CMOS battery, etc.

I saw a couple of laptop repair places on the web but I hesitate to use them
because I don't know anything about them. They offer to give an estimate
when you tell them the problem and say that they won't charge if they can't
fix the problem. Has anyone ever used any of these places?

CompUSA told me that they do not think it is worth fixing but I paid about
$1500 for it three yrs ago and some of the folks in the support forum say
that they found it to be a solder problem between the power switch and the
motherboard. They also say that Compaq/HP should do the right thing and fix
all of these dead laptops for people for a nominal fee since it seems to be
a design/engineering defect.

I don't want to pay more than $150 to have this fixed but I'm not sure that
I can get it fixed.

Has any one here heard about this as a problem for Compaq laptops? Not sure
why Compaq/HP isn't taking better care of their customers. I know that this
will be my last purchase of their brand.

Thks

Old July 21st 03, 02:08 PM
Deep

All I've got to say is IT'S 3 YEARS OLD! Buy a dell, IBM, Toshiba without
extended warranty and let's see what they do for you 3 years after. You are
being extremely unreasonable with the whole "Not sure why Compaq/HP isn't
taking better care of their customers." That's a load of bull...

With that of my chest - I would suggest taking it in to a local repair shop
that ISN'T one of the big boys (Best buy, CompUSA) etc. I've always had
success with the smaller guys since they want your business more. I would be
wary about sending it in through the web without some sort of reference (IE
friend who's used them, etc.)

Deep

Old July 21st 03, 05:09 PM
DEJ57

Took it to
CompUSA who did the remove battery, and hold down the power button for 90
seconds trick (that I didn't know about) and charged me $140.

The CMOS battery? Or the main running battery? If the CMOS battery hasn't been
replaced, try that....

Dale
Old July 21st 03, 10:40 PM
Deep

So you think all companies should warranty their products for life? You've
got to be joking. We all know your positions on this stuff Dale, and I don't
think I'm being unreasonable here. If you had something break 2 years after
the warranty dies on it AND you decided not to get the extended warranty,
I'm sorry, you are SOL. Now if it was a reoccuring problem that the person
experienced during the warranty period and it happened 2 months and not 2
years after the end of the warranty, then I would agree. On this case I
think it's a load of bull. I've NEVER expected ANY company to do that for me
and this is not all because I'm Pro-Compaq. This is common sense.

Deep

"DEJ57" wrote in message

All I've got to say is IT'S 3 YEARS OLD! Buy a dell, IBM, Toshiba without
extended warranty and let's see what they do for you 3 years after. You

are
being extremely unreasonable with the whole "Not sure why Compaq/HP isn't
taking better care of their customers." That's a load of bull...

I couldn't disagree more. If it really is a problem due to poor

engineering,
examples abound with companies that stand up and take their lumps with

various
recalls to repair problems past the warranty period. Although not

faultless,
auto industry as one example. I've always thought highly and are more

likely
to purchase again from companies that take "the extra mile" rather than

look
for any excuse not to be of service.

Dale

Old July 21st 03, 11:58 PM
Irene

Not necessarily true.

If the defect results in a federally mandated recall, it is more than likely
it will be covered whether your car is in warranty or not.

Mind you, I am not implying this should apply to a computer. But on the
other hand the computer companies should make more of an attempt to correct
defective computers than they currently do.

"David B." wrote in message
I have to agree with Deep on this issue, warranties begin and warranties

end, period. If you get warranty service a couple months
after expiration consider yourself lucky, but expecting it after 2 years

is unreasonable. Automobiles are built with defects all the
time, notices are issued called TSB's (technical service bulletins) and if

your vehicle is still under warranty and you have a
problem stated in a TSB, it will be covered, if your car is a year old and

you have a problem stated in a TSB, the repair is coming
out of your pocket.

e.rogers.com...

Old July 22nd 03, 01:18 AM
Deep

Perhaps so but that is irrelevant for this particular case. There are good
examples and there are bad examples. It happens in all industries across the
board...

Deep

"David B." wrote in message
I have to agree with Deep on this issue, warranties begin and warranties

end, period. If you get warranty service a couple months
after expiration consider yourself lucky, but expecting it after 2 years

is unreasonable. Automobiles are built with defects all the
time, notices are issued called TSB's (technical service bulletins) and

if
your vehicle is still under warranty and you have a
problem stated in a TSB, it will be covered, if your car is a year old

and
you have a problem stated in a TSB, the repair is coming
out of your pocket.

e.rogers.com...

Old July 22nd 03, 02:08 AM
David B.

My statement is entirely true, a recall is not the same thing as a TSB. To put in computer terms, a TSB would be a laptop that has a
higher than average failure of the solder joints on a power switch, a service bulletin may be put out on this for the techs so if
they have a system which exhibits the symptoms of the problem, it might help them fix the problem, but if the machine is out of
warranty the consumer is still going to foot the bill, a recall would be something like a faulty power adapter which has a history
of causing fires, this adapter would be replaced at no charge to the consumer even if the machine is out of warranty.
It doesn't matter what product or manufacturer you want to discuss, I wouldn't expect to get any free service on an item that is no
longer under warranty.

"David B." wrote in message
I have to agree with Deep on this issue, warranties begin and warranties

end, period. If you get warranty service a couple months
after expiration consider yourself lucky, but expecting it after 2 years

is unreasonable. Automobiles are built with defects all the
time, notices are issued called TSB's (technical service bulletins) and if

your vehicle is still under warranty and you have a
problem stated in a TSB, it will be covered, if your car is a year old and

you have a problem stated in a TSB, the repair is coming
out of your pocket.

e.rogers.com...

Old July 22nd 03, 06:32 AM
DEJ57

Exactly. I have a Honda Prelude. It's WAY past it's warranty.

I believe you are missing the point I was making. You suggest I said that
companies should fix any problem that occurs within or outside of the warranty.
I actually said that I think, IF ITS A DESIGN DEFECT, common to all of the
products made, that companies would be better served to go the extra mile and
fix it. I believe Compaq did that several years ago on one of its laptop AC
adaptors (but possibly only because they could catch fire, and catch Compaq in
a lot of liability).
And wasn't it Firestone who could avoid liability for faulty tires? I don't
expect companies to fix problems beyond the warranty unless its some thing like
an actual design flaw or fraud that they are reasonably responsible for.

Dale
Old July 22nd 03, 08:21 AM
DEJ57

And wasn't it Firestone who could avoid liability for faulty tires?

Make that couldn't....
Old July 22nd 03, 03:29 PM
DEJ57

Well then that's different. That isn't the case here though. I don't hear or
read about these laptops not turning on after 3 years all the time in here,
so the point you were making on me is lost. In this particular case,
warranty or service is not justified. A design defect should maybe be looked
at more closely, but usually evidence of the design defect would should up
during the warranty period.

From the first post in this string:

"...Quite a few people are having this problem from the looks of the user
groups
on Compaqs support forums...some of the folks in the support forum say
that they found it to be a solder problem between the power switch and the
motherboard. They also say that Compaq/HP should do the right thing and fix
all of these dead laptops for people for a nominal fee since it seems to be
a design/engineering defect..."

Certainly I don't know if the statements are correct, but IF they are, I tend
to agree.

Dale