Used DLT Tapes

Old December 10th 03, 04:34 PM
Glenn

Default Used DLT Tapes

Hello and sorry in advance if this is question is inappropriate for
this group:

I have a Dell PowerEdge server running Windows 2000 Server. This
server has a PowerVault 110 T DLT1/VSTape drive (manufacturer
BNCHMARK). I use Backup Exec 8.6 for backup on various manufacturers
DLtape IV 40/80GB cartridges.

Anyway I purchased a lot of 20 "lightly used" tapes from a reputable
eBayer. ("You bidding on 20 Quantum DLT IV(4)Tapes 40-80GB. Tapes
were used for one month. Tested in great condition for thousands of
more uses.")However none of these tapes seem to work in my system.
Both inside and outside of my software, after I insert a tape after it
"spins" for a little while it ejects out. If I put in a pre-existing
tape which I have written data too, it doesn't 'complain'- but once I
put in one of the newly purchased tapes it does. If I was only
encountering this on a handful of these tapes I wouldn't care, but it
seems to happen on everyone (12) I have tried so far.

Any suggestions as to what can be happening or what I can do?

Thanks in advance,
Glenn
Old December 10th 03, 06:13 PM
kalev-

Glenn wrote:

Hello and sorry in advance if this is question is inappropriate for
this group:

I have a Dell PowerEdge server running Windows 2000 Server. This
server has a PowerVault 110 T DLT1/VSTape drive (manufacturer
BNCHMARK). I use Backup Exec 8.6 for backup on various manufacturers
DLtape IV 40/80GB cartridges.

Short answer: you shouldn't have bought used tapes preformatted on DLT8000
for use on a DLT1 tape mech. umfff..

The drive is unable to nuke the tapes. The heads is the diff tape mechs
operate very differently, I think the DLT8000 tracks are wider and "deeper"
and DLT1 tracks are narrower and not as "deep" (magnetically speaking) and
physically unable to cope or clean up any existing DLT8000 tracks. Only a
*very* powerful degausser would fix that, note emphasis on the word *very*.

You can google for details

PS: If I'm wrong please correct me.

jk

--
Suse Linux 9.0 | 2.4.21-144-smp4G | KDE 3.1.4 | XFree86 v4.3.0.1
Old December 11th 03, 03:58 PM
PPH

Sounds like the problem I was having with our 8MM tape. I insert the tape
and I could retrieve data all day. Once I tried formatinig, erasing, or
writng to the tape, it would hard fail. I sent the tapes to the manufacturer
and they confirmed the tapes would not format. Then they hit the tapes with
a bulk eraser and Bingo, they worked. They said the head alignment was off
enough were the drive could not format the tapes. So they suggested I
purchase a bulk eraser from Radio Shack for future tapes. I have yet to
purchase one because they erased 40 tapes for me.

Number one, make sure you have the latest firmware for your tape drive. If
this is OK, then I would try a bulk eraser.

Hope this helps

Old December 11th 03, 05:40 PM
Glenn

JK -

Thanks for the reply. You appear to be spot-on.
Apparantly "the tapes were formatted on and ADIC Scalar 100 (DLT8000).
All taped were verified working."

Well a valuable lesson learned.

Thanks again,
Glenn

Old December 25th 03, 03:06 PM
Bob

Sometimes you get an prom problem that is inexplicable. I had all 5 Sony
SDT5000 DDS tape drives all fail on the same DATE, finding that strange I burned
in a new prom, and they all worked just fine!

I wonder when the next mass suicide date is

Bob

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 09:58:53 -0600, "PPH" wrote:

|Sounds like the problem I was having with our 8MM tape. I insert the tape
|and I could retrieve data all day. Once I tried formatinig, erasing, or
|writng to the tape, it would hard fail. I sent the tapes to the manufacturer
|and they confirmed the tapes would not format. Then they hit the tapes with
|a bulk eraser and Bingo, they worked. They said the head alignment was off
|enough were the drive could not format the tapes. So they suggested I
|purchase a bulk eraser from Radio Shack for future tapes. I have yet to
|purchase one because they erased 40 tapes for me.
|
|Number one, make sure you have the latest firmware for your tape drive. If
|this is OK, then I would try a bulk eraser.
|
|Hope this helps

Triad Productions-Fantalla(tm)~EZine~Para-Novel
WWW http://triad.virtualave.net/index.htm
offnet http://triad.virtualave.net/contact.html