Moving Master hardware drive.

Old July 8th 04, 02:04 PM
DLC

Default Moving Master hardware drive.

Have problem with one computer dropping power. Running XP. Switched hard
drive to another computer and couldn't boot up.
Transferrend the harddrive to another computer which is the same brand and
configuration as the one I keep dropping power and it worked fine.
What steps do I need to take to transfer this drive to another computer. I
checked all the settings, etc.

Old July 8th 04, 05:39 PM
Nick

DLC wrote:
Have problem with one computer dropping power. Running XP. Switched
hard drive to another computer and couldn't boot up.
Transferrend the harddrive to another computer which is the same
brand and configuration as the one I keep dropping power and it
worked fine.
What steps do I need to take to transfer this drive to another
computer. I checked all the settings, etc.

Set it to slave, should be instructions on the drive.

You can't have two master devices on the same IDE, nor can you have two HDDs
that want to boot. Setting one to slave will allow you to use both in same
PC.
--
Nick
-----------

Old July 8th 04, 08:41 PM
kony

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 09:04:39 -0400, "DLC"
wrote:

Have problem with one computer dropping power. Running XP. Switched hard
drive to another computer and couldn't boot up.
Transferrend the harddrive to another computer which is the same brand and
configuration as the one I keep dropping power and it worked fine.
What steps do I need to take to transfer this drive to another computer. I
checked all the settings, etc.

Sounds like the drive has an intermittent short (electical
problem) so it may randomly work or not work depending on stress
on the PCB... or I could be completely wrong. Since the drive
seems flaky, run the HDD manufacturer's diagnostics (available
from their website) and whether it generates an error code or
not, see if manufacturer will issue RMA for replacement.

Above is assuming you have decent power supplies, that none are
dropping voltage too much from addition of another drive. Check
voltage levels with a multimeter, at plug of drive in systems not
powering up or working correctly and at ATX motherboard
connector.

RAID card for my PC?? TANKIE General 5 May 22nd 04 01:09 AM
current/voltage peak: HD & PD drive dead ~misfit~ General 7 May 15th 04 08:21 PM
Mysterious Hard Drive Problem Bill Anderson General 4 January 18th 04 03:43 AM
Replacing master hard drive Lew General 2 January 17th 04 06:39 PM
DVD / CDRW drive master slave situation - General 3 November 24th 03 10:23 PM