Athlon 64 3200+ price drops today

Old January 6th 04, 11:36 PM
Wes Newell

Default Athlon 64 3200+ price drops today

With the introduction of the A64 3400+, the 3200+ has dropped to $270
(from about $400). The $270 price is from Newegg. It's now lower in price
than the XP 3200+ ($299) which is considerably slower.

Old January 7th 04, 03:01 AM
Jason Cothran

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
news | With the introduction of the A64 3400+, the 3200+ has dropped to $270
| (from about $400). The $270 price is from Newegg. It's now lower in price
| than the XP 3200+ ($299) which is considerably slower.

Thanks a ton for the info. The reduction in CPU price is exactly what I have
been waiting on before jumping ship from my tired but still great little
xp2000+. Didn't want to waste the time/money on doing a Barton or other
Socket A upgrade right now knowing it would be the end of the line for that
socket.

Old January 7th 04, 08:29 PM
Lee

rather have the FX51 mate

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 22:36:28 GMT, Wes Newell
wrote:

:With the introduction of the A64 3400+, the 3200+ has dropped to $270
:(from about $400). The $270 price is from Newegg. It's now lower in price
:than the XP 3200+ ($299) which is considerably slower.

-----
Lee.
Old January 7th 04, 09:27 PM
Repo Man

Jason Cothran wrote:
"Wes Newell" wrote in message
news
With the introduction of the A64 3400+, the 3200+ has dropped to $270
(from about $400). The $270 price is from Newegg. It's now lower in
price than the XP 3200+ ($299) which is considerably slower.

Thanks a ton for the info. The reduction in CPU price is exactly what
I have been waiting on before jumping ship from my tired but still
great little xp2000+. Didn't want to waste the time/money on doing a
Barton or other Socket A upgrade right now knowing it would be the
end of the line for that socket.

Socket 754 (and 940 for that matter) doesn't have much of a future either...
I'd wait a couple months or so and get a socket 939, when they come out.

Old January 8th 04, 01:01 AM
Wes Newell

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 09:27:55 +1300, Repo Man wrote:

Socket 754 (and 940 for that matter) doesn't have much of a future either...
I'd wait a couple months or so and get a socket 939, when they come out.

Amd has committed to a year of cpu support for these sockets. Although I
don't see this as much of a problem. If I upgrade down the road I'd likely
sell the old MB/cpu combo and get new MB/cpu combo.

Old January 8th 04, 02:29 AM
VC

but when you by the 754 or 940 today ... you will enjoy a couple yrs at
least of solid CPU performance ... at the point you can look at what is the
current technology and buy accordingly ... additionally, when the 939 comes
out it will be double the 754 or 940 ... with computers changing so quickly
..... likely a wiser decision to one generation back any way .... and update
in one to two yrs

VC

Old January 8th 04, 06:01 AM
rms

rather have the FX51 mate

Anandtech has pronounced the FX51 dead in the water with the half-priced
3400+ available, at least for the gamer.

rms

Old January 8th 04, 02:39 PM
Sick Willie

"Lee" wrote in message
rather have the FX51 mate

If we're doing rathers, I would rather have dual Opteron 246's. But the
3000 or 3200 are still nice processors.

Sick Willie

Old January 8th 04, 02:41 PM
Sick Willie

"rms" wrote in message
om...
rather have the FX51 mate

Anandtech has pronounced the FX51 dead in the water with the

half-priced
3400+ available, at least for the gamer.

rms

For the hardcore gamer, the dual channel memory controller on the FX51 would
still leave it well ahead of the 3400. If you don't need (or care to pay
for) dual channel, the 3000 or 3200 is still the best bang for the buck.

Sick Willie

Old January 8th 04, 10:10 PM
Wes Newell

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 07:41:02 -0600, Sick Willie wrote:

"rms" wrote in message
om...
rather have the FX51 mate

Anandtech has pronounced the FX51 dead in the water with the

half-priced
3400+ available, at least for the gamer.

rms

For the hardcore gamer, the dual channel memory controller on the FX51 would
still leave it well ahead of the 3400. If you don't need (or care to pay
for) dual channel, the 3000 or 3200 is still the best bang for the buck.

Perhaps you should look at this.:-)

http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1941&p=4

Athlon XP 3200 reading as Sempron 2200mhz with new A7N8X-E Deluxe Bios Eric Feinstein AMD x86-64 Processors 1 September 30th 04 09:20 AM
help re 3200 athlon cpu PBS General 8 July 24th 04 12:54 PM
Athlon 64 3000+ better or a P4 3.0C 800mhz 512k cache both same price - what is better? louisk Overclocking 1 March 21st 04 05:17 AM
Slowest Athlon 64 humbles fastest P4 in gaming Tone-EQ Overclocking AMD Processors 1 December 15th 03 05:09 PM
Athlon 64 - lower price than XP3200 ?! Alan Overclocking AMD Processors 3 September 26th 03 06:04 PM