UDMA PIO Problem

Old September 16th 03, 08:01 AM
Zlo Koje Surfa

Default UDMA PIO Problem

Hi!
I hope someone will read the whole thing and have a suggestion what to do!
Please!

I've got several HDD's various manufacturers (seagate baracuda, maxtor, WD
if I'm not mistaken) and all of them have 'jumped' out of UDMA into PIO just
like that. Disks are from different computers, not connected in any way.
Processors in those comps are from P II celeron 600Mhz up to AMD1800+. Only
thing that is common is WinXP. You play games before you go to sleep, turn
off the computer the usual way, turn it on the next day and it is not
remotely fast as it was 'cause hdd is no longer operatin in udma mode. And
the last software installed was days (weeks) ago, usually some game.

In my short investigation I've learned of the several reasons that can cause
that behaviour and discarded them as not being the case here. Like: not
having the 80wire cable, cable not connected properly (blue connector not in
the motherboard), BIOS parameters set to autodetect dma mode, WinXP ide
controler not set to DMA if available etc.. I was even more confused when I
got the last of those disks (master boot disk from desktop computer, winxp,
40gb baracuda 7200rpm udma5 capable etc.) and inserted it into another
computer, and it automaticaly engaged the udma5 mode.

Does this means that Winxp could have something to do with it? Just to
mention, desktop computer of the baracuda disk doesn't have any option in
BIOS regarding the udma/pio modes for ide devices.

Old September 16th 03, 05:13 PM
S.Heenan

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hwdev/...e/ide-dma.mspx
--
Winerr 012 - Cash Underflow - Credit Card Number Will Be Assimilated

AMD Problem Sean General 9 September 17th 03 01:20 AM
Freezing, lock up, unresponsive problem. James General 5 September 5th 03 02:54 PM
Startup/Shutdown Problem Girgath General 5 August 8th 03 05:45 AM
UDMA compatibility - UDMA 2 v UDMA 33 Aaron Gray General 6 July 13th 03 06:50 AM
Weird CD reading problem Devang Devani General 1 July 12th 03 03:09 AM