desperately need re-format help

Old January 8th 05, 12:57 AM
Puzzled

Default desperately need re-format help

My Compaq Presario 5106 is infected with a vx2 virus that absolutely
refuses to be removed and I guess the only option left, after two weeks of
trying to clean out the computer, is to re-format the hdd, then re-install
everything. But when I went to use the Restore cd, the screen went red
and flashed a warning saying I need to contact Compaq. What the .....

Can I just use my Windows XP cd to format the C:\ drive and then
re-install? Help.

Old January 8th 05, 01:42 AM
doS

You have a restore cd, it uses the files on the d partition, I bet you no
longer have those...

Old January 8th 05, 02:43 AM
Ben Myers

Assuming that the computer is still bootable and can be used, sort of, go to the
Ad-Aware web site and download the VX2 cleaner there. Give it a try.

Old January 8th 05, 03:55 AM
Cassie

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 19:57:44 -0500, "Puzzled" wrote:

My Compaq Presario 5106 is infected with a vx2 virus that absolutely
refuses to be removed and I guess the only option left, after two weeks
of
trying to clean out the computer, is to re-format the hdd, then
re-install
everything. But when I went to use the Restore cd, the screen went red
and flashed a warning saying I need to contact Compaq. What the .....

Can I just use my Windows XP cd to format the C:\ drive and then
re-install? Help.

Assuming that the computer is still bootable and can be used, sort of,
go to the
Ad-Aware web site and download the VX2 cleaner there. Give it a try.

... Ben Myers

This is what I have used to date:
AdAware (including their VX2 cleaner)
Bazooka
WEShredder
Easy Cleaner
Hijack This
Hoster
KillBox
Microsoft AntiSpyware
Pest Patrol
Registry Mechanic
RegScrub
RegRun
SpyBot
Spyware Doctor
Spyware Blaster
Spy Sweeper
- and I still can't get rid of it. What I need to know is how to make a
boot diskette that will recognize the cd drive so I can install Windows
when the format is done. Anyone?

Old January 10th 05, 12:58 PM
Earl F. Parrish

wrote:

[...]

The Windows XP CD-ROM is bootable if you set the BIOS to boot from a
CD-ROM drive and place that drive ahead of the hard drive in the
boot order. You have to watch the boot sequence because you have to
hit a key to continue the CD-ROM process. If you do not hit a key,
the machine will boot from the next detected boot device. Load
Smartdrv from the CD before you start the Setup or the process will
take forever. Run the Setup from the i386 subdirectory by starting
WINNT32.EXE.

--
Earl F. Parrish

Old January 13th 05, 07:10 PM
Nicholas D Richards

In article , Puzzled
writes
My Compaq Presario 5106 is infected with a vx2 virus that absolutely
refuses to be removed and I guess the only option left, after two weeks of
trying to clean out the computer, is to re-format the hdd, then re-install
everything. But when I went to use the Restore cd, the screen went red
and flashed a warning saying I need to contact Compaq. What the .....

Can I just use my Windows XP cd to format the C:\ drive and then
re-install? Help.

I had a similar problem with a Compaq 1525 laptop. It would not let me
use my Restore Disk, it halted with an error number which now escapes
me. The error number implied a fault with the hard drive. It would
allow me to fdisk and format the drive but not to use the restore disk.
I was about to return the laptop, it was on a maintenance contract (do
not ask). I reset the BIOS, removing the passwords, and thought I would
retry the restore just one more time. It worked.

The problem was that I had a setup password in the BIOS. The Restore CD
attempts to reset some hidden BIOS settings! Suggest that you set the
BIOS settings to default, remove any password settings from the BIOS and
try again.
--
Nicholas David Richards -

"Oł sont les neiges d'antan?"

windows XP format hdd Christo General 2 November 19th 04 07:48 PM
Cannot format new 200gb Hard disk Wayne Gigabyte Motherboards 4 October 17th 04 06:48 PM
INCD puzzle Wishy13764 Cdr 4 January 9th 04 05:58 AM
47000 minutes to format CDRW? Mike Richter Cdr 3 December 19th 03 07:34 AM
How do I format a HD with WinXP installed. My PC is stuffed! Newt Homebuilt PC's 1 August 21st 03 05:33 PM