Restoring an older HP PC

Old January 4th 05, 01:06 AM
Ben Myers

Default Restoring an older HP PC

AFAIK, Compaq Presarios do not come with a restore CD, altho some computers with
CD burners do give you the option to burn a restore CD or a Windows XP Home CD
from data stored in a hidden partition on the drive.

I've cross-posted your inquiry to an older pre-HPaq Compaq-specific newsgroup
where someone there with better knowledge can provide more assistance.

Knowing which model of Presario you have may also be helpful.

Don't do anything rash until you see a response on the Compaq newsgroup. Before
reformatting and/or reloading Windows, consider other actions to take. If the
computer is working, but very slowly, it may well be infected by the
all-too-common spyware or ad-ware that sneaks into an insecure-by-design
computer operating system these days. If so, running both spybot and ad-aware,
after updating each with the latest definitions, can restore a computer to
respectable working order without loss of data or the time and aggrevation of
reloading the entire Windows OS.

You will also need to enter the Windows Certificate of Authentication code from
the sticker on the side of the computer, should you reload Windows.

.... Ben Myers

On 3 Jan 2005 16:36:49 -0800, wrote:

A friend has a 2 year old Presario that needs a complete hard drive
format and reinstallation of programs that came with the PC. Question:
do all HP PCs come with a "restoration" CD, whereby I can launch the CD
and load the PC to the condition it was when it was bought? Or can
this be done from a Windows XP menu?
I know this is a very basic query, sorry; but I have no clue what HP
offers in terms of complete system restoration. My friend is also
clueless -- she doesn't know what software came with the Presario!
Duh.
Help! Please. Thanks.

EW

Old January 4th 05, 01:39 AM

Ben Myers wrote:
AFAIK, Compaq Presarios do not come with a restore CD, altho some

computers with

Thanks, Ben, for your reply. I don't have any more info on the HP than
I provided -- sounds strange, but my friend is "strange." I will
monitor this thread and the Compaq boards for further info. It seems
that HP would have a blanket policy on providing restoration CDs on all
their products, or not. But again, SOMEONE here should know HOW to
restore an HP PC to original manufacturer's configuration!
Thanks for your help. I'll keep looking!

EW

Old January 4th 05, 03:05 AM
Ben Myers

"HP would have a blanket policy on providing restoration CDs on all their
products." No blanket policy, because different product lines of computers are
treated differently. And policies change over time, becoming more and more
niggardly in providing CDs and other media to reload when the need arises. The
Presario is targeted for consumers and small offices, so it gets handled one
way. The DeskPro (now the Evo) is the business-oriented box, so it sees a
different approach. And then there are the servers. The HP Pavilion is also a
consumer-oriented computer. (You may ask Carly why HPaq has to have two product
lines for consumers?)

Frankly, I think the best bet is to simply reload from scratch whatever
operating system came with the computer. If the computer had still other useful
non-operating system software delivered with it, that's another story. You
might check the HPaq web site for drivers and other software for the EXACT model
of computer you are working on. In some cases, the web site has the other
software available for download. In other cases, no... Ben Myers

Old January 4th 05, 03:03 PM
Frank Slootweg

ben_myers_spam_me_not wrote:
[deleted]
(You may ask Carly why HPaq has to have two product lines for
consumers?)

Because their *customers*, told them to!

Ever wondered why after the merge, the Compaq name was still very
prominent (for example on the Williams-BMW Formula One team)? Probably
not. Much easier to show ignorance and bash HP.
Old January 4th 05, 03:15 PM
Ben Myers

Perhaps. Personally, I would find it far more cost effective to produce both
Presarios and Pavilions on the same production line, with different cosmetic
touches (BIOS splash, removable front plastic logo, keyboard and mouse logos).

General Motors and Ford succeeded for many years in the US using this approach.
Fords own Ford brand and Mercury automobiles use 90% of the same parts with
merely cosmetic differences. General Motors built Chevys, Oldsmobiles, Buicks,
and Cadillacs with many, many common parts.

Just think of the savings in assembly costs, so-called engineering R&D, spare
parts. And look at the annual reports and balance sheets of the merged HPaq!
Printers continue to be the business line that generates 90% of the profit.
Servers and communications gear are a small but profitable area. Desktop
computers are marginally profitable at best.

HPaq may not be using the approach now, but it will not be viable in the
personal computer segment of the business until it does... Ben Myers

On 04 Jan 2005 15:03:55 GMT, Frank Slootweg wrote:

[deleted]

Old January 4th 05, 10:41 PM

Thanks very much to all who replied for the help. I now have a clue
about the eventual restoration project -- I "think" there's a
restoration partition on her hard drive. In any case, WHY do I have to
get myself in these messes! From now on, I won't know ANYTHING about
computers when friends have problems...

EW

Creative Annihilator 2 card--are the newer Nvidia drivers reallycompatible w/ such older cards? D. K. Kraft Nvidia Videocards 1 July 22nd 04 07:02 PM
Older Socket A mobo?? TANKIE General 1 April 7th 04 03:03 AM
Re install older drivers how? MarkH Ati Videocards 2 December 24th 03 04:36 PM
Liteon LTR-48246S older firmware source? FOR7b Cdr 10 October 19th 03 01:18 PM
Upgrading Older System Biff Homebuilt PC's 8 June 26th 03 04:38 AM