Epson 1260

Old April 6th 06, 09:05 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner

Default Epson 1260

I have an Epson 1260 scanner and associated software. Normally it
supplies all my OCR needs from scanned images, but I have a jpg file
from an external source and I want to OCR it. Is there any way that I
can introduce a ready scanned image to the smart panel and put it
through OCR?

Colin
Old April 7th 06, 05:23 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner

On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 20:05:34 GMT in alt.comp.periphs.scanner,
wrote:

I have an Epson 1260 scanner and associated software. Normally it
supplies all my OCR needs from scanned images, but I have a jpg file
from an external source and I want to OCR it. Is there any way that I
can introduce a ready scanned image to the smart panel and put it
through OCR?

OCR normally recognizes common bitmap, fax, and TIFF formats, so
converting your JPEG to one of those supported by your OCR software
should make it possible (PCX or TIFF: see below).

Your "smart" panel is probably irrelevant, as it is normally just for
scanner control.

Epson 1260 seems to come with Newsoft Presto OCR which uses the ABBYY
Fine Reader OCR engine. Depending on how the software is packaged, you
should have access to one or both of these programs if you root around
in the product directory/ies, be able to run it as a program and open
a PCX or TIFF file.

(Brian[dot]Inglis{at}SystematicSW[dot]ab[dot]ca)
fake address use address above to reply
Old April 8th 06, 10:35 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner

Hi

Your message made good sense, but when I used Explorer to look for the
application file I could only find application extensions and
libraries. What now?

Colin
Old April 9th 06, 09:36 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner

On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 09:35:24 GMT in alt.comp.periphs.scanner,
wrote:

Your message made good sense, but when I used Explorer to look for the
application file I could only find application extensions and
libraries. What now?

Scan to text, check the Task List to see what's running, then search
your disk for that name: if it's a dll/lib, then you're SOL.
Searching the registry for OCR, NewSoft, Presto, ABBYY, Fine might
also point out locations to look in or programs to try.