audigy 2 ZS and XP probs ?

Old July 10th 04, 07:09 AM
jole

Default audigy 2 ZS and XP probs ?

Hi
I'm looking at possible getting an audigy 2 ZS card to run on my win XP
system. I've heard however that it can be a real bomb and not work. If
anyone knows anything about this, or that it might be a risk buying it, do
let me know

thx
Jole

Old July 10th 04, 07:44 AM
jole

also, just to add to my previous post, i'm also considering getting a
soundblaster live 5.1 card. if anyone knows that this could be a major
problem with win XP (home addition), just let me know.

thx

Old July 10th 04, 04:40 PM
CrimsonLiar

A small number of people experience problems with any added equipment, the
Audigy 2 ZS is no exception, however for the majority of users it should
work just fine. Note though that with any change to your sound hardware,
its best to re-install windows if at all possible.

Regards the Soundblaster Live 5.1: This is possibly the worst and most
flaky card Creative have ever issued, and its flaws are one of the reasons
the TB Santa Cruz (definatly more stable and better sounding than the Live
5.1) gained so much popularity.

Crimson Liar

news

Old July 10th 04, 05:16 PM
B. Peg

I ran into problems with a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz card. They wanted it to
install on IRQ 10 by itself. No matter which slot I shoved it in, it would
end up sharing with some other card or driver.
I needed to jumper the flash on the motherboard and then it finally showed
up by itself on its own IRQ 10 interrupt.
Eventually the card bombed due to me trying to feed a speaker in instead of
a line input in (doh!). Just blew it up!
Then I went to the Audigy 2 ZS Platinum and installed it into the same slot.
No conflicts and same unshared IRQ appeared. No problems occurred and
system sounds fine, much more so than the Turtle Beach card did. Working
fine so far with Windows XP Home.

B~

Old July 11th 04, 01:30 PM
jole

hmm..i was hoping the Soudblaster Live 5.1 is decent..it's a cheaper
alternative to the Audigy 2 ZS..i'll be looking into both.

thx.
Jole

"CrimsonLiar" wrote in message
A small number of people experience problems with any added equipment, the
Audigy 2 ZS is no exception, however for the majority of users it should
work just fine. Note though that with any change to your sound hardware,
its best to re-install windows if at all possible.

Regards the Soundblaster Live 5.1: This is possibly the worst and most
flaky card Creative have ever issued, and its flaws are one of the reasons
the TB Santa Cruz (definatly more stable and better sounding than the Live
5.1) gained so much popularity.

Crimson Liar

news

Old July 11th 04, 02:54 PM
CrimsonLiar

The Live 5.1 is not a clever card, doesnt sound brilliant, and when used
with modern games is going to use a lot of clock cycles to do its work.
Frankly its a card to avoid if you can!

Crimson Liar

"jole" wrote in message
[...]

news

Old July 11th 04, 06:21 PM
Dave Hamaker

Funny how the SBLive seems to have dominated the market until the SBAudigy
superceded that, despite the TBSC's "popularity." My SBLive 5.1 hasn't
ever given me any significant trouble and I've got no complaints about how
it sounds, although I do use an amp driving speakers made by Boston Acoustics
that weren't described as a "multimedia speaker system."

I think most of the reason you're more likely to hear about problems with
the SBLive (and SBAudigy) is simply because there were so many more of them
sold. In other words, larger numbers of people have had problems with them
mostly because far more people have owned them.

If I were in the market for a new soundcard today, though, I'd choose an
SBAudigy2 ZS (probably the Gamer, because I don't own any of the 5 bundled
games, but otherwise the base model).

Because it is true that you can be unlucky and experience problems, I rather
strongly recommend buying from an outfit with a good return policy, which you
should not hesitate to use if things do not go smoothly. I also think it is
not wise to wait for fixed drivers to be issued if you have unsolved problems
from the start.

-Dave

"CrimsonLiar" writes:

A small number of people experience problems with any added equipment, the
Audigy 2 ZS is no exception, however for the majority of users it should
work just fine. Note though that with any change to your sound hardware,
its best to re-install windows if at all possible.

Regards the Soundblaster Live 5.1: This is possibly the worst and most
flaky card Creative have ever issued, and its flaws are one of the reasons
the TB Santa Cruz (definatly more stable and better sounding than the Live
5.1) gained so much popularity.

Crimson Liar

news

Old July 12th 04, 11:49 AM
Jole

thx all.. just goes to show that diff people have diff opinions. one person
may think a device to be no good, while another think it is good.

i might pay that extra bit an get the audigy 2 ZS (without games). the
audigy gamer i presume is the same as a standalone audigy. let me know
otherwise.

Jole

Old July 12th 04, 06:42 PM
CrimsonLiar

You are correct the "gamer" varient of the audigy came with a couple of
games, the basic comes with nothing but the drivers. Yoy takes your pick
etc, just dont be persuaded to try the Audigy LS - thats a whole other story
and is best avoided!

Crimson Liar