Reformat C Drive on Compaq Presario SR1012NX ???

Old September 10th 04, 05:04 PM
digby

Default Reformat C Drive on Compaq Presario SR1012NX ???

I have a new Compaq Presario SR1012NX.

I'd like to reformat the C drive so that the only software on the
computer is the XP System, and reinstall my own software.

Is it possible to do this? I can find any format commands on this
computer that don't use the Compaq software recovery stuff.

I have a window98 disk and an XP upgrade to use, as it seems to me
that the XP that Compaq uses on this computer has some commands
disabled.

I bought this computer because the hard drive on the old one crashed;
just wanted the bigger hard drive and faster CPU.

Appreciate any help. I'm a somewhat computer literate little old lady,
but not too much so.

==============
Old September 11th 04, 03:15 AM
HH

What commands are you referring to?
HH

"digby" wrote in message
I have a new Compaq Presario SR1012NX.

I'd like to reformat the C drive so that the only software on the
computer is the XP System, and reinstall my own software.

Is it possible to do this? I can find any format commands on this
computer that don't use the Compaq software recovery stuff.

I have a window98 disk and an XP upgrade to use, as it seems to me
that the XP that Compaq uses on this computer has some commands
disabled.

I bought this computer because the hard drive on the old one crashed;
just wanted the bigger hard drive and faster CPU.

Appreciate any help. I'm a somewhat computer literate little old lady,
but not too much so.

==============
Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware

troubleshooting newsgroups.

Old September 11th 04, 01:03 PM
digby

I'd like to use the common Windows messages like "Backup", and "Copy";
can't even think of others right now. I can't even figure out how to
make a boot disk for this computer.

I bought this computer because the hard drive on my 5 year old gateway
burned out. I thought I would get a new computer for the larger hard
drive and the CD burner.

Ideally I want a bare bones OS that I can install my own software on.
I'm assuming I can download drivers for the CD burner and other
hardware.

I don't want or need all the "stuff" Compaw has loaded on. I've
managed to delete some of it, but don't know what other files I can
safely get rid of.

If I ever have to use the recovery disk because of problems, all that
other "stuff" will be installed again.

Thanks.

==============

Old September 11th 04, 01:03 PM
digby

I'm used to "copy", diskcopy", "backup" and that sort of thing - just
the usual commands present in Windows 98. I can't even figure out how
to make a boot disk with what's on the computer now.

I find all the "stuff" that Compaq has on the computer is distracting,
uncessary and is probably slowing down the computer more than it
should.

I want to start with a bare bones OS and just use my own software of
choice.

I'm assuming I can download drivers for the hardware - cd burner is
really the only things I'm interested in.

Thanks.

Digby

==============

Old September 11th 04, 07:29 PM
HH

Windows XP does not rest atop DOS as did all Win 9X versions. You would be
at the same place if you reformatted and installed an off the shelf copy of
XP. Don't bother. The CD driver is part of XP, which also has the miniport
version of Easy CD Creator built in.
HH

Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 July 24th 04 02:30 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 July 17th 04 08:30 PM
Need HELP - Can Not Get QR discs to Work Steve Compaq Computers 16 May 26th 04 12:04 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 April 25th 04 10:45 PM
Anyone have the specs on an [[[OLD]]] model 461 monitor? Rick Compaq Computers 6 October 28th 03 03:03 AM